Going back to work worries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work worries Going back to work worries

Unread 11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Going back to work worries

Hello, ladies.
I'm four weeks post-surgery as of today, and I'll be going back to work after Thanksgiving, 11/28. Kind of wondering what it'll be like and what to expect. Because of circumstances beyond my control, a lot of people there know about my having to have a hysterectomy. I didn't go around shouting it, but didn't want people to confuse my sudden absence with being fired. And, knowing the rumor grapevine around the place, didn't want disinformation getting around, as well. Also, when my problems started in September, I had to take off several days in a row because of bleeding, pain, and a sudden trip to the e.r.

I was more than willing to talk to people about having to have a hysterectomy prior to surgery, but I'd rather not have to give a blow-by-blow accounting of it. Don't think anyone there would be so crass as to act, but what do I say to them? They know I'm doing well now, but I'd rather just jump into work and get on with my life.

Anyone out there have some advice on how to deal with my going to work jitters?

Feel like when I get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 06:08 PM

Hello.....

Best advice I can give is just remember that you're still foggy-headed, and haven't been there for weeks.

Other than funny things during surgery/recovery, I haven't shared anything. And they have been too polite to reply. Even a few clients have asked why I was gone so long, I just hemhawed...didn't answer...none of their business.

But the most heart-felt thing were the clients who missed me and told me so. And tho how maddening it was, got the full load put on me when I came back...stress, stress stress. But I made it..

Nice to know, even tho many might not say it, that you are missed, loved, and cared for.

Take care, and take heart. You will be tired, frustrated, but remember to take care of yourself most of all. I even took a nap one day during work, I just couldn't stay up, lol.

Bless you in your adventure back to work. You didn't say what type of work you do, but remember to be careful. Take care of yourself most of all.

Unread 11-11-2005, 08:38 PM

youghriver,

Is there someone you work with that can update you on what you have missed? This may help alleviate any jitters about what to expect the first day back. When friends I work with called or stopped by, they did a good job at keeping me out of work related issues, but gave me enough details so I didn't walk into the office on Monday completely clueless as to what was going on.

As far as people asking about you, they are just concerned. Usually "I was on medical leave" is enough information for anyone who wonders where I have been. If anyone wants to know more details or how I am doing, I will tell them variations of "I had surgery", "I am doing better now", "I am recoverying well" or "I feel better now than before I had the surgery".

The last week I was home I worked on building up my stamina to be out of the house all day. The first day back to work I needed to leave a little early, I was off the next day (it was a holiday), but worked full days the rest of the week. Of course every night I had to take a nap when I got home.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 09:39 PM

youghriver,
Going back to work is an experience....
I don't know what you do for work....I do maintence. They have no pity for you. If you have ...no restrictions...they expect you to be, well, just like you were before your op. The muscels in the stomach area take a long time to get better.Try to make things easier for yourself. Maybe if you do this kind of work, they will go easy with you for a few weeks. I don't want to scare you, just telling you how it was for me, Some co-workers were really rotten, but I found ways to help myself, and rest on my lunch break. If you do office, other work somebody else can help you there.
Just tell people just what you want. Some people care about you, other's don't really care. Especially in a world where there are back-biters, back-stabbers at work.
I am almost a year now from my op. I am just starting to feel better. I bought some new work slacks, shoes, and winter coat. I got a mole cut off my face by nose. I sleep a lot the 1st day off from work, the next catch up on all my work.
Comming here helps me a lot. If I can try to help somebody, I post, other than that, just read.
I hope your experience of going back to work is a good one. Take Care.
Unread 11-11-2005, 10:54 PM

I went back to work at 7 weeks due to complications, facing VVF repair surgury and still wearing a foley catheter.
I work with 155 people, just about everyone knows the nature of my surgury and I dont mind questions. Everyone has asked me and I am not embarrased at all. Many women told me about their own experiences. Everyone has been kind and supportive and I have an extremly light work loan. I have my own helpers and people to gopher for me.
Whatever you decide about sharing your experience it is yuour own choice and you have every right to say you dont want to tak about it.
Unread 11-12-2005, 05:04 AM

99.9% of my co-workers have been really supportive. Most of them are women. A lot of them have had hysts. I didn't tell a lot of people why I was having surgery but it did get around. Nearly everybody asked how I was doing and commented on how much better (not in those words, mind you) I looked, healthier, etc. I have an on-going therapy caseload and I just told them that I would be out on an extended medical leave (I'm sure some of them know the type of surgery). Most of them have just expressed delight that I'm back and well wishes that I continue to recover well. My organization is pretty small and make a point of treating everyone like family. Comes in handy at times and others you just want to runaway (kind of like a real family). Just smile, say Thank you, I'm glad to be back.
Unread 11-12-2005, 06:22 AM

Hi Yough, My advice is to do the best you can. I found that not too many people are going to ask any questions but they will be glad to have you back. The hardest part for me was that it really actually took two weeks before I felt like I could actually handle being back at work. You may still have emotional rollercoaster from the surgery, brain fog, tiredness, soreness and then when you try to go back and function likeyou are 100% you really see quickly you are not even though others will think you are. Just hang in there and if you do have bad moments just know it will get better. I am about 10 weeks post-op now and really feel much stronger and work is getting more back to normal. Good luck,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register