Pre-surgery Photo Shoot | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-surgery Photo Shoot Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

I did something yesterday that was quite healing for me, and celebratory of my body. I asked a friend, who's a pro-level photographer (and whom my partner and I I trust implicitly) to do an artistic nude photo shoot with me. I've done some modeling in the past, so it wasn't outside my comfort zone, and something I really enjoy doing.

I had him focus on artistic shots of my belly area.. as there's a chance my TVH will need to be converted to a TAH. I figure, if I end up with a scar, I'll have some really nice photos to look back on of my pre-surgery body.

It was incredibly liberating.. and I highly recommend the experience as part of pre-surgery prep (even if the photographer is your partner). It's also a great way to pamper yourself (both in getting ready for the shoot, and having beautiful art to look back on).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

Hi Cheri,

Wow! You are brave and I think that is awesome. I will try to get the nerve up to try myself.

Good luck with your surgery, I will be thinking and praying!

JSalami
Unread 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

(((Cherie))) I think that is a wonderful idea. I did the same thing a little further 'north' before having my first lumpectomy several years ago (post hyst, but my hyst was done vaginally so no scar there), and all I could think of was that I wished I'd done it before having colon surgery a year after the hyst, because I do have a huge vertical scar now that wasn't there before. I do wish I had at least one nice photo of my totally un-scarred belly, but at the time I didn't see the need.

Cherish those photos... and I hope your surgery goes well.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

That sounds like it was great mental therapy for you. awsome
hugs
lisa
Unread 02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

I applaud you for your bravery. A nudie of me pre or post op would just not be a pretty picture.

Oh, to be young and beautiful again----SIGH!!! (that is a big sigh!!!!)

I really think that is a great idea. I could take a picture of my breast and my knees in one close up.

Kay, remembering the good old days before my boobs went south.
Unread 02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

Great idea! I've been thinking of doing something similar. I already have a vertical scar on my abdomen, which my doc will re-open for my SAH, but I want DH to take some pics (tastefully) of my abdominal area pre-op. Doc insists that I will have (eventually) my flat(ter) belly back, (swollen due to fibroids) so I think it will be a very liberating thing to do. I'm lucky enough to have a job that keeps me in pretty good shape, so it will be nice to see the transformation!
Definately not going to be for public view, but a nice memento just the same- YOU GO GIRL!!!
Karen
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

Cherie! Awesome idea!! How empowering! I applaud your bravery, energy and chutzpah!

About 5 years ago, a friend was doing nude photo work around disability and the equipment that people with disabilities use. I posed for her, the first (and so far only) time nude for me, and it was incredibly liberating and empowering.

Hmmm...thinking I might suggest a photo shoot with my partnertaking the pics...

Roberta
Unread 02-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

I think that's an excellent idea! I've also heard the idea of sketching or painting your uterus of how it is now, and how you will be afterwards.
Unread 02-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Pre-surgery Photo Shoot

Hi all,

I took a bunch of self-portrait photos of myself the day before I left for the hospital, and I'm so glad I did. I did it in several lighting conditions in my home, with wonderful shadows and contours.

I also did a post-op series, and it's great to have both.

I so very much encourage you all to either have somebody take some pictures or do what I did.... just you and a camera and a mirror is all it takes -- (or a good self-release button on your camera).

Hugs to all of you,

Siri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register