Resuming Driving? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Resuming Driving? Resuming Driving?

Unread 01-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Resuming Driving?

Hello Ladies,

I'm wondering how long your docs told you to wait before resuming driving?

I'm scheduled for a TVH/BSO on the 17th on January. My doc told me a week or more (vague enough for ya!). I'm concerned because my hubby is active duty Navy and will be leaving less than a month into my recovery. If for some unforseen reason I end up with a TAH I'm sure I won't be allowed to drive for 6 weeks! That would not only make me a temporary sole care provider for our kids, but one who is also stranded with out medical clearance to drive?

Oh yes I have a couple of neighbors who are willing to help, but they have their own lives too.

Just wondering how some of you dealt with circumstances like what I'm about to go through.

Hugs,

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Resuming Driving?

Hi Laurie! All the doctors seem to have different ideas about when their patient's can resume driving. You will need to discuss it with your doctor. H/she may have a better idea on when this will be after the surgery and he knows exactly what he has to do. This is probably why h/she has not been very clear and concise about it yet.

I'm sorry to hear your husband will be leaving soon. This has to be difficult for you when you are having your surgery. I wouldn't hesitate to call on your neighbors since they have offered to help you out. I'm sure they wouldn't have offered if they didn't want to help. Don't think you'll need their help for a real long time.

s

Sherry
Unread 01-09-2002, 01:11 PM
Resuming Driving?

Hi Laurie

I had an LAVH/LSO on 12/19/01 and I started driving one week later. I kept it to under 1/2 mile away from home, and away from rush hour time. I was alone, as dh and kids went to FL to give me a quiet house to recup in, but I was bored, bored, bored and had nothing good to drink!

However, I know that TAH is trickier. I would still think that you would be allowed to drive at 4 weeks, given your circumstances, though. I think if you are a really good princess , and don't do much at all while your dh is home, you should recover well enough to be able to pick up some routine duties by the time you have to, with your doctor's permission. Be sure to tell the Doctor how long your dh will be with you. He will adjust restrictions accordingly.

Have a good day!!

Mary Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2002, 06:24 PM
Every doctor has a different oppinion

Hi Laurie

I am a bit more than 3 weeks post op. My doctor said I could drive 7-10 days after surgery. Just not to excess or for long peroids of time

I did drive myself in to get the abdominal staples out 7 days post op, and while I love to be on the go. I have happily chosen not to drive when I haven't had to. I do believe everyone you talk to will have been told something different

Must tell you. I was not on any narcotics for five days prior to driving. Personally I think that could be important.

Take Care
Carol

PS I had large vertical abdominal insision, did okay
Unread 01-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Resuming Driving?

Laurie,

My doctor said 6 weeks NO driving.

I drove short distances starting at 4 weeks and had no problems.

It seems that every doctor is different, my doctor's reasoning for the long "no driving rule" was his concern of me getting into a major car accident.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Resuming Driving?

Thank you so much ladies for letting me know your stories. I'm hoping that all goes well and that I'll be able to at least drive my kids to school.

I know that I won't fell up to any major time out of the house. But with my hubby leaving, I'll HAVE to be able to get around somewhat

Thank you again, this site and my hyster sisters are wonderful!

Hugs,

Laurie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register