Back to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work? Back to work?

Unread 11-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Back to work?

First of all, I would like to applaud all you ladies who feel up to going back to work so soon. I am curious as to how anyone is returning to work after only 2 to w 3 weeks after surgery? My doctor has told me at least 6 weeks. I had a LAVH and kept my ovaries. I do have a job that requires me to be on my feet. I am a part time retail merchandiser and am actually planning to take 8 weeks before returning. My job also requires some lifting as I work for a greeting card company. At 8 days past surgery, I can't imagine feeling up to going back to any job at 2 to 4 weeks. Maybe age is a factor? I am 46. Hugs to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Re: Back to work?

I am with you...kudos to those that can tackle working so early on after surgery..I could NOT imagine at 5 weeks heading back to work...so your idea of taking 8 weeks sounds like a great plan!
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Hi TKaren, I'll be 46 this month and had an LAVH one day prior to yours and kept both ovaries. I don't have a job job.. I am in financial services and have been contemplating going to a meeting next monday that will be have me away from home about 3 hours. Not sure if that is a wise idea or not. Right now, I'm thinking that will take too much out of me. Are you driving yet? My follow up with the doc is next monday afternoon but like everyone else, I'm going stir crazy at home. What are you doing at home to keep yourself occupied?

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Not sure when I will be able to drive as both cars are straight drives. I have been feeling horrible and haven't really cared of being occupied. I had a horrible day yesterday.I seem to be feeling better today. I do have books to read, watched All My Children yesterday( I haven't kept up with it in over a year.) I am also planning to organize photos at some point. I sell on ebay and have tons of things to list when I feel like sitting in front of the computer for any length of time. I have a 13year old daughter who watches movies with me when she gets home from school. My husband has been coming home at lunch but he has a second job teaching at a community college and doesn't get home until 8 or 9 at night. My mom is coming this evening to cook dinner and do some housework. That is the one of the worst things-not being able to do what you are used to doing. I have a friend who is an RN at an OB?GYN practice and she has told me to listen and take it really easy so I don't have complications. Hope all have a good day> Hugs.
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM

I had my procedure don on 10/19/2010 Davinci removed uterus and cervix..
I originally took 3 weeks off ..YAH right! My doctor extended it to 4 weeks.. I have a super easy job and sit all day so Im sure Ill be fine plus Short term dissability is already giving me crap about the extra week .. lol... if you stand all day take advantage of the full 6 weeks or more off ...I would ..
Like my Dr said to me " if you dont heal properly you will be back on my operating table " *shivers* not worth it .. Good luck to you and hopes for a speedy recovery
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM

I am 37, had LAVH/BSO on Oct 1. I went back to my job as a nursing instructor at 2 weeks post op with no problems. I go back tonight (after 4 weeks off) to my night shift job as an OB nurse in a hospital.
I was not at all nervous about it until yesterday. While working as a clinical instructor, I helped a student lift a heavy patient, resulting in bleeding and pain. I am still having pain today and not looking forward to working all night tonight.
Unread 11-03-2010, 10:06 AM

My dr OK'd me working after 2 weeks but I have a desk job. I only worked half days my first week back and probably should have just stayed home the third week. To those of you who need and have the extra time off, I say take it! Your body will thank you later! Happy healing!
Unread 11-03-2010, 10:10 AM

I too have a desk job and went back after 2 weeks.
Monday I worked 1/2 day and came home exhausted
Tuesday I worked 1/2 day and was better
THankfully today (wednesday) I'm off
Thursday will be my first full day... I might be back on half days depending on how that goes

None of my work pants fit me, I had to buy "Button extenders" so I could go to work... I might have to break down and buy a couple pairs of bigger pants until the swelling goes down. NOT my first choice, but neither is being in pain.

If you stand or lift, would NOT recommend going back if there is anyway you can stay off another week. Standing is hard... lifting, even worse.

Good luck!!!!
Unread 11-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Sisterjane, if you go to that meeting it won't stop there - everyone will wonder why, when you are dressed well and seem fine, you are not back at work already. They will alll assume you are healed. Participate by phone if you must, but don't go.
Unread 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM

When returning to work it helps to have understanding co-workers.

I went back to work full time at 4 weeks (not really full time as I had appointments 3x a week leaving early) My co-workers were so happy to have me back that several of them offered to do much to help me. I was still pretty tender at that time but going crazy staying at home. So when I had papers that needed to be delivered to an office or picked up another co-worker would do that for me. If this would not have been possible I would have had to stay home for 8 weeks due to the complications I had.

I think it is much easier to return to work if you have a desk job as you can put your feet up when needed. I still have trouble standing up for long periods of time so I am very glad my job does not require me to do so.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register