Fruit Smoothies or Slushes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > Sisteritaville: Hyster Sisters Cookbook > Hysteritaville Healthwise

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fruit Smoothies or Slushes Fruit Smoothies or Slushes

Unread 04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Fruit Smoothies or Slushes

Throw lots of fruit/juice in the blender with a couple of tablespoons of wheat bran to add fiber. Orange juice is good to use for a little liquid. Then add a banana, canned pineapple, any other fresh fruit. Frozen strawberries, peaches, or mixed fruit are all especially good.
I make several batches at a time to minimize blender cleaning time. Then I freeze them in small plastic glasses (8-12 oz.) They are absolutely wonderful after you microwave them for about 35 to 40 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2005, 01:17 PM

Do you think it would work to make up a few batches of these the day before surgery and freeze them for use over the next 2 or 3 weeks? I am purchasing a small freezer so that I can stock up on things like organic milk before surgery so I'll have the space if these seem like something that would hold well for a couple of weeks in the freezer.

As someone who usually eats mostly fresh produce and who lives alone I am having a hard time figuring out how to stock up on groceries for recovery.

Thanks
Shirley
Unread 04-19-2005, 07:23 PM

Absolutely! I'm lazy when it comes to dishes, so I love to make up several blenders full and freeze about 12-15 small cups. I think they're the best when slightly thawed in the microwave. It's a healthy treat and very satisfying to me. I hope it works for you and you enjoy them.

I wish you well with your surgery. Today is my 4 week post-op and things are going well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2005, 07:13 AM

Thanks. These are certainly on my list of things to prepare before surgery.
Unread 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM

I love smoothies, but I don't make them often enough due to being lazy in the mornings. But making batches & freezing them is a great idea - why didn't I think of that?!

Quick question, though. I like to add yogurt to my smoothies, since I need protein in the mornings. Do you think they would freeze/thaw well with yogurt in them? I haven't tried freezing yogurt before...

Thanks for the tip! Karen
Unread 04-21-2005, 11:00 AM
Wink - Fruit Smoothies or Slushes Fruit Smoothies or Slushes

I think they would be fine, but I'd try only one batch that way for a test to be sure. Let me know how it works.
Unread 04-26-2005, 03:53 PM

Linda,

I finally got around to making a batch of strawberry-yogurt smoothies, freezed them, then had my family try them out. The yogurt dethawed just fine - yea! I used ziploc baggies, which was ok, but I need to get some little cups - that would be a whole lot better!

I just got a Vita-mixer, so I can throw in a whole apple, whole orange (I just take the outer rind off 1st), banana, or whatever else, usually add some water to thin the mixture, and voila! A yummy & fiber-full treat!

Thanks! Karen
Unread 04-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Thumbs up - Fruit Smoothies or Slushes Fruit Smoothies or Slushes

Karen, I'm glad you're enjoying them too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register