Got My Date | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Got my surgery date today

Wow - I've read through so many messages about women who have endured so much for so long. My heavy (stay at home) periods began about 6 months ago. Just 3 months ago, they increased to 2 weeks long and I've had this most recent period since April 28th. Since then, I've had two ultrasounds, a biopsy and have already scheduled my hysterectomy. I'm not waiting around any longer. In fact, they gave me a 6/19 date and I said "can't you make it sooner?" So, they rescheduled me for 6/11. Since I'm dropping clots the size of Cleveland, I've become very anemic and lethargic. Besides, my DH is becoming quite anxious these days . At age 38 and mother of 3 active girls, I don't have time to wait.

What do you all think about an epidural during surgery? I've had quite a few surgeries already (cone biopsy, breast lump, fatty lumps on abdomen, tubal ligation, nasal surgery, cysts removed, etc. etc.) and the nausea following a general is worse than the pain, in my opinion. Since they're not removing my ovaries, I'm also hoping for a vaginal hyst. What are the chances they'll have to revert to the abdomen?

Thank you for this site - it has been so helpful!

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 03:12 AM
Got My Date

Hi Amy,

Welcome to Hystersisters - I'm glad that you have found us and decided to post!!

Have you read the pre-op and post-op hints that are on the main page of this site? The links are here:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

Hysterectomy Recovery Articles

If your doctor feels that a general would be better for your surgery than an epidural, ask him about giving you some anti-nausea medication in your IV - many ladies here have not had any nausea at all.

Please keep on reading and come back to ask any questions you may have - we'll be here to help.

's

Karen
Unread 05-29-2002, 04:52 AM
Got My Date

Hi Amy,

I'm glad to hear that you have such a positive attitude towards your upcoming surgery. In my opinion, that's half the battle!

My TAH was my first experience surgery other than a c-section 19 years ago. I was very nervous about using general anesthesia and was going to opt for an epidural. When I met with the anesthesiologist at my hospital pre-op, he really encouraged the general. He warned me that some people have a nausea reaction to the general and said that it could be treated through the IV. He convinced me that the general was the way to go and luckily I didn't have any nausea as a result of it.

As for the type of surgery, a vaginal hyst was not an option for me because my uterus was approx 4 times it's normal size. I had an abdominal hyst using my old c-section (bikini-line) incision.

All the best to you for your upcoming surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 06:40 AM
Happy & Home

Hi Amy,

I am new to this website also. I am having my surgery on 6/11/02
too. I have an enlarged uterus, heaving bleeding,clots have put
off the hysterectomy for a couple of years and I am like you now
I can't wait to have it done and over with. I am 37 with two very
active daughters so I know what you mean about having the time
for this,luckily I have a DH that will take over.

I have the same fear about nausea, I had nasal surgery 7 yrs. ago
and that is what sticks in my mind how sick I felt. I had my pre-op
yesterday and I told him this and I have pre-op at hosp. on 6/4
and I plan on telling my anesthesiologist the same thing. I do know
that there is something they can put in the IV to coat your stomach,
but hopefully we will not need that.

I am so glad I found this website last week. It has helped me in so
many ways. Good Luck to you everything will be fine.

Kelly
Unread 05-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Long lost sister

Kelly -

Same surgery date, 37 (okay, I'm 38), all girls and previous nasal surgery? Wow - are we long lost sisters? I was born in Nashville - that's close to Kentucky.

Anyway, an hysterectomy cannot be any worse than 3-1/2 hour nasal surgery (9 yrs ago). Although I'm happy I went through with that, I don't think I could ever do it again.

I will talk to the anesthesiologist about IV nausea meds. I'm not sure needles in my back is the way to go either.

My biggest concern is how many softball games I'll miss watching of my daughter. She's on a travelling team and I'm not sure I can endure the long car-rides to get to the tournaments. The first tournament is only 20 minutes drive, but the following week, we'll have to drive 1-1/2 hrs. She also has a dance recital that weekend. Will I feel up to this only 10 days post-op?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Amy
Unread 05-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Got My Date

Hi there!
I had an epidural as well as general anesthesia with my TAH two weeks ago. I did have nausea from the general, but IV Reglan took care of it and knocked me out, which was a nice side effect! The epidural remained in for two days post op. I still had pain, but realized after they removed the epidural that it had in fact done its job. As for the process of getting it put in, its actually pretty easy. The only pain is a tiny prick from the local, then its all numb for the rest. It was easier than the process of getting an IV! The catherer is a microscopic little wire that they tape to your back so you can roll over in bed and walk around after the surgery. If your anesthesiologist will agree to do it, I recommend it highly! I work in the O.R. and I've never heard of anyone having ONLY an epidural for TAH, but for post-op pain control its really great. ( I had two c-sections without post-op epidural so I can safely say its much better with it! ) Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine either way, there are lots of things they can do to help control your nausea if you have it. Just don't be afraid to SPEAK UP! Thats what they are there for. Take care!
Unread 05-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Got My Date

I had epidural with sedation (don't remember a thing). Highly recommend it. If your healthy the general is O.K., but there are more risks than with a general than an epi (per my anesthesiologist). I know the thought of an epi and being awake freaked me out until I talked to the "A" woman and she said I'd be sleeping.
Unread 05-29-2002, 07:26 PM
long lost sister

Amy,

I loved the "Long lost sister". I thought we had alot in common too. I don't have a traveling
softball player and I can't imagine riding in the car for a long distance, But I am not a good
traveler anyway. I'm sure you will know when your ready for a long drive but don't push it.
It is so funny ...I was telling a friend yesterday that I will hate missing some of my daughter's
ball games but now I realize I only have 10 minute ride, I think I will be able to make most
of them. I think your right about the hysterectomy not being any worse then the 3 1/2hr.
nasal surgery (ouch) I would'nt go through that again either.

Keep in touch Long lost sister...

Kelly

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register