The things that saved me! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

The things that saved me! The things that saved me!

Unread 05-07-2007, 03:17 AM
The things that saved me !!!

Hi Girls......
I am 10 days post op and feel that I am doing good !! Had my staples out on day 7 and now steri strips line my tummy where my vertical incision is.
My Dr said I am doing well and was a very prepared patient. This site helped me a lot and i also connected personally with a couple gals and they also helped me so I just want to pass some of my wisdom on to those of you who have up-comming castle dates !!

The BEST things I did was research and be prepared for when I would return home as far as things I might need.

1. I bought a toilet seat riser. It has been a god-send for me. I am tall 5'7" and fluffy so with a vertical incision it made the sit to stand position even easier to navigate.

2. I bought the grabber thingy. You have NO IDEA the things that drop and you cant bend or the things you need to reach for but cant. I can even unload small items from dryer and sort clothes with it.

3. Pillow wedge from bed bath beyond. I got this and lay my feather pillows on it and this is how I sleep as side sleeping is a big NO-No for me still.

4. I had my freezer stocked pretty well with items for dinners etc. Meats for grill etc......it has helped a lot.
Hubby has done take out but also we have been able to do home cooked dinners with my pre-prep. Throw some bagged salad to gether and wha---laaaa a dinner !!

5. granny panties.......yep !!!!!!! I got them in the largest size and they are a life saver also.

6. I went to Marshals/TJMaxx......and found some capri PJ's and a couple huge lounge sets and bought those JUST to dedicate to this surgery as I knew waist had to be HUGEEEEEEEEE. SO far I have worn every one and they get washed after each wear and put in my "Hyster clothing pile"
They have worked out great and are comfy and dont bother incision. This will be my wardrobe for the next month I know !!

7. Fanny pack for hosptiol......in it was my cell phone..chap stick for dry lips.........ricola cherry drops for scratchy throat......and I kept this right in bed with me or to the bed rails.....I had a clip on watch attached to the outside of it to tell time.

8. I also ordered the pillow from here and that has been a huge help with seat belt etc.

WHen you get home you will find a spot in your home that is your comfort zone area. For me it is a recliner that is in our bedroom. I am comfortable there and have set up shop there and can see Tv from there also.
A friend of mine had a hosp tray table and she let me borrow it and that has helped tremendously as it fits next to the recliner.

The waiting for the surgery is far worse than the recovery !!!!!!!
Go for it !! I am soooooooo glad I did and that it is over.
Just think these words "BE BRAVE and do it"

I just wnted to share my knowledge and hope this might help someone else!!

Hugssss to all
Kathi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register