Scheduled TAH no instructions from doc for pre op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no instructions from doc for pre op no instructions from doc for pre op

Unread 10-17-2011, 08:50 AM
no instructions from doc for pre op

i am having my surgery on thursday the 20th and had an appointment on the 12th i did not get to see my regular doc who is doing the surgery and this dr didnt give any paperwork or instructions on what to do or what not to do befotr surgery,i asked do i need paperwork or anything for thursday for my surgery she said just show up around 11:30 and it should all be taken care of then.any other surgery ive had they always gave you something saying what you cant take like week before or wash with antibacterial soap before,all she said is just dont eat or drink after midnight,i think i might calland talk to some one just to make sure.so nervous my head is swimming in a hundred differnt directions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Re: no instructions from doc for pre op

That wasn't very helpful. I know they have a list of meds not to take a week prior to surgery, and which meds to take or not take the AM of surgery. That would all hold true even with no requirements for pre op diet or preps. I think you'll need to call about that, like you are planning. I guess no bowel prep or antibacterial wash isn't as crucial but you might want to just oonfirm that, too. Best wishes for your surgery.
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:57 AM

I have a lists for bowel prep, a list for meds, a list for the hospital prep (washing and cleansing) and a list for afterwards. I basically have a book for what to do. It has been very helpful. I also filled out all forms at the Hospital so I am good to go there.
I think it is kind of weird that they gave you nothing. Some Docs are so laid back and forget that we patients need to refer to paperwork because we tend to forget the info due to stress in our lives.
Maybe a simple phone call to ask them if there is something you forgot and need to do before surgery.
Good luck... and hugs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2011, 07:03 PM

I would agree that it would be good to call.

However, it does sound like your only instruction will be to not eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery! that this is all it is.

I didn't have a bowel prep, nor did I have to wash with a special soap. They did tell me to stop certain meds 10 days before surgery, but this is all information they should have given you some time ago..... Normally, it's herbal supplements and drugs like aspirin which tend to thin your blood.

to you.
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:16 PM

It is strange that they did not give you any more specific instructions, so you may want to call just to confirm. They don't mind you calling - they would rather you have it right. I called on my instructions and I am glad I did - it put my mind to rest and answered some questions.

I had a list of medications I had to stop - asprin, iburprofin, etc. In addition, no flax seed or fish oil or vitamin E pills. All of these thin your blood.

I did have a bowel prep - but that is surgeon preference and / or procedure specific. And, I had specific instructions on what to eat and not eat the day before surgery.

Good luck to you...
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:03 AM

The dr you saw might have assumed that the nurse would cover the info or that your other dr had.

I'd call the office & ask to speak to the nurse. She should be able to give you any information you need.

I'm heading to the castle on Thursday also. I had/have quite a few pre-op instructions.

This is my 3rd major surgery. The pre-op has been different every time, even though all at the same hospital. For the most recent the instructions were just... nothing to eat or drink after midnight. That was it.

See you in post-op!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register