Time spent in hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time spent in hospital Time spent in hospital

Unread 03-15-2002, 10:21 AM
Time spent in hospital

I am scheduled for April 5th - partial hyster. I am keeping my ovaries and cervix. I am a little confused (and my husband scared) about the length of stay in the hospital. I know I will be asking my doctor about this when I meet with him next Thursday, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I was told that my surgery would be done at 10:00 a.m. and I will have a 23 hour stay. If I feel I cannot go home after 23 hours or if the doctor feels I should stay I will be admitted. Otherwise I will go home. Is this safe? Does this mean I am in recovery for 23 hours and then I'm told - have a nice day? My husband is freaking out because he is scared for me to come home that soon after surgery. He is afraid of complications. Has anyone else had this? I've been waiting now for four weeks and the wait is not getting any easier. The doctor told me that I was not a candidate for a vaginal hysterectomy since I am small boned and have never had children. So if it is abdominal - I can't understand the 23 hours. I guess I can say I am starting to panic. Also, I wanted to say that this website has been a very big help to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 10:27 AM
Time spent in hospital

I had TVH on 2/19 got out of recovery room at 2:10 and went home per my request on 2/20 at 6 pm..I could of stayed another day but wanted to be home in my own bed..BUT I had TVH..If your dr feels that you should be in another day ..if there is any problems, such as fever or not passing gas or going to the bathroom they'll keep you..But if there are not any complications at all they do release you..All depends on the Dr. As for me I wanted to go home Wasn't getting any rest in the hospital and my DH was home to take care of me so that is where I wanted to be
Unread 03-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Time spent in hospital

I received a letter from my insurance company today. I have been approved to stay the night of my surgery and the next night.

I will also be having a partial, on 3/20, if she (my doctor)can leave my one ovary that I still have. When I had the other ovary removed 5 years ago the operation took longer than anticipated so....my MD called the ins. co. and they waved the magic wand and granted me the one night stay in the castle.

I think that, for me, I will do much better in my own bed/home with my own bathroom. My children are grown so it makes it much easier for me.

Best wishes to all for a quiet weekend,
Suzgal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2002, 05:10 PM
Time spent in hospital

I can't speak for your hospital or your insurance company but I have to say I've never heard of a 23 hour stay for major abdominal surgery. I'm certainly no expert though.

I had a TAH/BSO on a Wed and came home on Sat. (Could have come home Fri but just didn't feel up to it and wanted the extra day in the castle.)

Don't wait until your appointment to check this out - go ahead and call the doctor's office and see what the norm for your doctor is - then check with your insurance company. You may find out the answer you want to hear! (And avoid some sleepless nights!)

Hugs and best wishes for a successful surgery!
Unread 03-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Time spent in hospital

Got my authorization letter from the insurance company on Wed and it has authorized me 1 Day-Surgical. There is also a sentence underneath that states:

"If your hospital stay continues beyond the days reviewed on this letter, another review will be conducted and you will be notified of the decision. You do not need to notify us that you are still hospitalized."

I was told that I'd be in a minimum of three, so I'll let the ladies in my docs office take care of this, even though I am definitely going to ask about it at my pre-op visit to make sure!
Unread 03-16-2002, 01:54 PM
hospital stay

I agree that is not long enough of a stay. My doctor told me it would be 3-5 days in. She put my estimated return to work as May 20, my surgery is Wednesday March 20th. She was also copied on the insurance letter.

Her thinking is that she can always release me to go back earlier if we both think that I am ready. I think that I will be ready before May 20th. Don't you all? My job is not physical at all, stressful yes but not physical.

Hope you are all having a quiet weekend.

With a warm heart and best wishes to you all,
Suzanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register