Who's there when you wake up? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who's there when you wake up? Who's there when you wake up?

Unread 01-16-2006, 04:01 PM
Who's there when you wake up?

Ok, another goofy question; "who's there when you wake up " It's been a long time since I had surgery, I was wondering if you have anyone with you when you wake up or does someone just pop in and check on you till you wake up. I was fine (for the moment) till I thought about this. Is anyone else dreaming up things to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Recovery room

Hello there! I was in Recovery when I "woke up." I vaguely remember asking the nurse if everything went o.k. Each nurse is "assigned" certain patients, so he/she will likely be the one with you when you first wake up. I don't think any facility will let family in the Recovery area -- they want to make sure you're stable and able to communicate on some level first. My family was waiting for me in the room to which I was admitted. I also vaguely remember rolling into the room with them there, although I don't remember the trip from the Recovery room to my room.

I apparently chatted quite a bit when I first got in my room, but I don't remember any of that, either. That anesthesia is pretty powerful stuff -- thank goodness!!!

Best of luck to you -- you'll do great!!!!
monami
Unread 01-16-2006, 04:19 PM

I woke up in the operating room while they were putting me over to the other bed. Then I dozed off. I awoke again in the recovery room with nurses all over. Then again on the way to my room, then in my room, where my hubby was waiting. You're never alone that I remember. I was told they don't let family in the recover room (unless it's a child) for privacy reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2006, 04:35 PM

I woke up in recovery with a nurse. I think my first concious mumbling was something like "When does the hurting stop?" but I'm pretty sure it came out as "Hurt..hurt HURTS!" My nurse was really sweet; gave me more meds.

When I was moved to my room I was awake (I don't recommend that; try to just float away) and my nurse, who just happened to also be my best friend, was there waiting for me. She called my husband to come up, pulled my curtains, adjusted the lights and then I started asking about the thermostat because I was no longer "hurt hurt hurt" but "hot hot hot". They hadn't put my Climara patch on yet. Once that was on and the thermostat was turned down to about 60 I was fine and dandy.

I know you're nervous and scared, but really it'll be fine. I worried about the weirdest stuff before I had my surgery and now after six weeks I can say I really worried for nothing. Not that you're going to stop -- you won't but you're going to be fine.

Tink
TAH/BSO
Unread 01-16-2006, 04:41 PM

I remember some cute male nurses in the recovery room... and apparently I "talked" with my doctor but I have absolutely NO memory of this... I know I was NEVER alone. I do remember a NASCAR worthy ride to my room... and asking if they were "safe barriers".

My family was waiting for me in my room, and they seemed to think I was sounding goofy (hahahahhaha). I think they LIKED me that way!

Dont worry Sweetie!
Unread 01-16-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spasmo
I remember some cute male nurses in the recovery room... and apparently I "talked" with my doctor but I have absolutely NO memory of this... I know I was NEVER alone. I do remember a NASCAR worthy ride to my room... and asking if they were "safe barriers".

My family was waiting for me in my room, and they seemed to think I was sounding goofy (hahahahhaha). I think they LIKED me that way!

Dont worry Sweetie!
OMG! Nascar! ride! I think they hit everything they could with my bed all the way to my room! Come to think of it!
Unread 01-16-2006, 07:37 PM

I woke up in recovery and my first words were "sick"...the nurse immediately gave my IV a shot of something and gave me a "vomit dish", but I never got sick...the shot worked.

TAH/BSO
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:31 PM

I'm happy to say I don't remember the recovery room at all! They put me out like I hoped, and I don't remember anything until I woke up in my hospital room. I'm sure I was in the recovery room for a couple to three hours, but my drugs were good enough that I came to with my husband and a nurse asking me if I needed anything, in the private room.
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:09 PM

I blinked awake and saw the nurse sitting next to me. She asked my how I was doing, I said "sore" and got some more pain meds. I was in recovery a long time, because the hospital was full.

I couldn't see my husband until I got a room. My friend's mom who was a nurse and has had surgeries before said she has always been able to see her husband while in recovery, and was shocked they didn't let my husband see me.

I guess it depends on the hospital. Its something I wished I had asked the hospital nurse at my pre-op visit. We would have been emotionally prepared for that.
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:31 PM

I woke up in recovery about half hour after surgery. There were two nurses by my sides. One of the nurses asked me how I felt. I responded "nauseous, cold". The other nurse put something in my IV and the nausea began to subside. I got extra covers for the cold. No family members were in recovery. They were still in the waiting area. When I was wheeled out of recovery my family members seemed to be there waiting for me. They followed close behind as I was taken to my room.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register