I assumed wrong...lap. Hysterectomy Monday 9/21 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I assumed wrong...lap. Hysterectomy Monday 9/21 I assumed wrong...lap. Hysterectomy Monday 9/21

Unread 09-18-2015, 01:15 PM
I assumed wrong...lap. Hysterectomy Monday 9/21

Talked with surgeon yesterday. He said I would have three slits? I thought he was talking da Vinci not laparoscopic. Hospital called today and said lapriscopic was more invasive than da Vinci. I have atypical complex hyperplasia and have to have complete his. He did say the surgery would be challenging because it haven't has children and had a small cervix. I can't figure out why he isn't doing da Vinci . I Could call and ask but I really think he knows what he's doing. Am I going to go thru some really bad times with the lap? Also, is the stomach a big mess after surgery? I'm scared to death of the surgery and the cancer. I curse the physicians asst. who diagnoses me with urethra inflammation and sent me home and never said a word about possible cancer or what to domif more bleeding. Ah, well. Thanks if anyone has any encouraging words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Re: I assumed wrong...lap. Surgery monday

I had laparascopic. Actually 4 small slits, about 1/2" each: 2 on the right side, 1 on the left side, and a tiny slit at the belly button.

Because my uterus was so large, my doctor had to also do a 4" bikini cut incision.

Even with all these incisions, I had no stitches, as my doctor used Dermabond (like a skin glue). So I was able to shower right away, and the Dermabond just wore off after a few weeks. He also put anesthetic on all of them, so I never felt a thing while they healed.

Can't speak for others, but my recovery was a breeze. Super easy, very minimal discomfort.

The only discomforting things I felt were:
1) Sore throat from intubation, about a week
2) Sore to cough, laugh, or sneeze, as belly was sore to the touch. About a week. Felt like I had done 1000 sit-ups, and had the muscle soreness from a tough workout.
3) Sore straining on toilet, so I took stool softeners, 2x/day, for 2 weeks. All went well there.
4) Lap. gas in shoulders: for some reason, when they pump the CO2 in, and they push it out, some ends up in shoulders, which is very painful. Walking around in the hospital got rid of it the next morning.

Small scars are visible now, 3+ months later. I'm using Mederma on them in hopes they'll fade, which I think they will.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Unread 09-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Re: I assumed wrong...lap. Surgery monday

da Vinci requires special equipment - the "robot" - and special training in using the equipment. You definitely don't want da Vinci if your surgeon isn't both trained and experienced in using the robot.

Basically, da Vinci is laparoscopic surgery done by a robot, while laparoscopic surgery is laparoscopic surgery done by a human being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Re: I assumed wrong...lap. Hysterectomy Monday 9/21

Just wanted to say, good luck tomorrow.
Unread 09-20-2015, 01:42 PM
I assumed wrong...lap. Hysterectomy Monday 9/21

Hi Becky65,

I also had a laparoscopic hyst. Still one of the best things I ever did for my long term health.

We Hyster Sisters will be thinking about you.

Historylady

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register