Recovering addict concerned about pain meds. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovering addict concerned about pain meds. Recovering addict concerned about pain meds.

Unread 01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Recovering addict concerned about pain meds.

Hey y'all. I am looking at a hyst. due to recently discovered endometrial cancer. Still in a holding pattern trying to get in to see a doc. One of the questions on my list to ask the doc, is about the pain meds that they give. I am very concenred about them. I have almost 14 years of sobreity from drugs and alcohol and I don't want to give that up. So I was wondering if any of you have had issues with drugs in your past and how you handled the whole pain management situation. I know, I am asking a very delicate question, so I need to say a big thank you in advance if any of you are comfortable talking about it, or if you even just know someone that has some advice for me.
God bless you and yours
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 10:14 PM

You know, I am not a recovering addict but the fact that i don't do well with narcotic pain relief makes me, like you, want to steer clear of using them. Last week I had my gall bladder removed and was sent home with a RX for norco. Did not realize that norco was like double the strength of vicodin, which I can't take without throwing up. Needless to say, I didn't take it, but instead unwillingly took ONE darvocet for the pain I was having before switching to motrin. When i had my hyster last June, I told the doctor that I am a real lightweight with pain relief, he prescribed demoral. Well, i took one shot, slept for hours, felt weird for hours, and said, "no more". Switched to motrin. Honestly, didn't really have much pain, but talk to your doctor about your fears. My roommate had IV motrin (forgot the name) and I am sure there are other options out there that won't make you worry about becoming addicted again. However, immediately post op, you may want to temporarily do what you need to do, then switch to non-addictive pain relief ASAP. Good luck - you will do fine - don't worry!
Kim
LSH 6/27/07
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:26 AM

BunnyTracks

I don't have an addiction problem either, but I applaud you for asking the question and putting your sobriety first.

Like lovetocamp said, there are other alternatives. I actually received 2 perscriptions - percocet and naproxen. Naproxen is like prescription strength Aleve. I'm sure that if you talk to your doctor (as you said its on your list of questions), they wil be able to help you.

Blessings on you ... I just wanted to encourage you!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2008, 07:04 AM

There are some pretty good non-narcotic pain relievers out there. Be sure and discuss your concerns with both your surgeon and your anesthesiologist so they can make sure, and assure you, that you will be getting something that won't cause a problem for you.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM

Hi - I have 12 years + in with alcohol, and all I needed was extra-strength tylenol and ibuprofen.

If you are in a group and have a sponsor - can you track down other members who have had the same situation?

A friend and member had had a hyst the year before I did, and she said not to worry about the morphine in the hosp - that it's not enough to trigger anything.

She and I had no problem, but our only 'drug' is the alcohol. So check with other recovering people too.

HUGS!
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:21 AM

Ladies, thank you so much for your imput. I really appreceate it. I just was wondering if there was an alternative to morophine if I needed one. Thanks again!
God bless you and yours
Deb
Unread 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM

the main thing is to make sure that the Dr and Anesthesiologist know and understand so that they don't give you something that is standard for them to do but jeopardizes your sobriety.

Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM

Hi! I have 7 years sober. I was thinking like you are now before my surgery. I was definitely worried that I'd take the pain pills and then be out on the streets trying to buy more, LOL.

But truthfully when the finality of the day of surgery arrived, the last thing on my mind was the narcotics. This surgery was going to hurt! I had the morphine the first night but you are so out of it that you really don't know about it. It just kept me from hurting. By the time I really woke up the next day I was on regular vicodin, two every four hours. I only did that for two days then switched to ibuprofen. It is such a quick taper that there is virtually no way to get hooked again. And you need that pain relief at first.

Obviously if you are worried about the narcotics ask your doctor for alternatives, I know they are out there. But I was relieved to have what I did. Everyone is different.

Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2008, 03:44 PM

I am also a recovering alcoholic. As long as you're taking the meds for legitimate pain, there really shouldn't be an issue.

I applaud you for thinking about how this might impact your sobriety, but rest assured that taking pain meds post-surgery is not a relapse in any sense of the word! It's just as important for a recovering addict to keep on top of pain as it is for someone without addiction issues.

My docs had me "stage" my medication every 4 hours, so that nothing would ever be "worn off" in my system. For example, I'd take Vicodin at 9 a.m., ibuprofen at 1 p.m., vicodin again at 5:00.... This way I'd space things out a bit more and I'd avoid the times when there was no medication at all in my system. I think this staging allowed me to take less of the narcotic meds, too.

Remember that your body can't heal as well if you're in pain, so you should find that happy medium between staying comfortable and taking as little narcotic medication as possible.

It sounds like you're running a good program, and I wish you the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register