Ongoing bladder issues - unsure of infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ongoing bladder issues - unsure of infection Ongoing bladder issues - unsure of infection

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Ongoing bladder issues - unsure of infection

I've been fighting this UTI for almost TWO MONTHS now and I've had enough. Believe it or not, this darn UTI started back on August 1st!!!! I was first given Keflex for the infection until the culture back back and showed that the e-coli bacteria in my urine was completely resistent to Kelfex. I was then switched to Suprax for five days and was told that it would kill the e.coli bacteria once and for all. Well, it might have killed the e.coli but, when I was still having UTI symptoms over SIX WEEKS after taking the first round of Suprax, I went BACK to my urologist (who actually seemed annoyed to see me) and begged him to send me for another culture. When that came back, it was negative for e.coli but postive for Klebsiella!! He put me back on Suprax for another 5 days starting last Thursday and, now, another 3 days of it starting today.

As of this evening, I feel like I am peeing razor blades and the pelvic pain is over the top. I would call my urologist but he would only tell me to go to the ER anyway so that's probably where I am going to end up. I can't take this anymore. I think it's time for IV antibiotics 'cause Suprax ain't cutting it. I only hope they can find some antibiotic that I'm NOTallergic to!!!! (My list of drug allergies is as long as a country mile)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Re: Klebsiella pneumoniae?

If you think you should go to ER then go, you don't want to end up septic! Prayers going up!
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM

I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. I was really hoping the Suprax would work. Please go to the ER if you are still in so much pain. It's horrible to have bills, but it's worse to suffer like you have.
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks for all of the kind words of encouragment - I really need them! This whole thing is getting on my nerves something fierce.

I called my uroloigst as soon as their office opened this morning, told them that I am still feeling awful and asked for an appointment today. They told me that there weren't any available and, besides, they didn't think that it is "necessary" for me to see the doctor since I am still taking Suprax and I should be feeling better. (really?) I thanked them politely and then told them that I was going to go to the ER. At the point, the receptionist promptly went into panic mode and said "Oh no, don't do that! It looks like we actually have a cancellation this afternoon so come in at 2:30PM" Interesting how the office went from not being able to (or not wanting to) see me to suddenly having an appointment available as soon as I mentioned the ER!!!

I have soooo much anxiety about going in to their office today knowing they're probably more than a little fed up with me and my constant, stubborn UTIs. I got the impression talking to them this morning that I'm nothing more than another pain in the a** patient and they wish I would go away. Believe me, if I could find another urologist in my area that is taking new patients, I WOULD go away.

Last night, I re-studied the culture report and saw that the Klebsiella is suseptible to (among other cephalospoins) a drug called Rocephin. I know that Rocephin is often given by IM injection in a doctors office and I'm going to ask them to go that route. Until I can find the money - or financial help - to pay for IV antibiotics they are out of the question so there HAS to be another solution. It's a shame that Suprax isn't working for me. I know that it's extremely effective on most infections but it sure isn't doing the job on what I have. I sure wasted a lot of money to find that out....

Wish me luck - I KNOW that I'm going to need it!!
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Well, I just got back from the urologist and, thankfully, they didn't throw rocks (or dirty looks) at me when I walked in the door so I guess they won't be kicking me to the curb - yet. However, after the office visit, I'm more confused than ever.

Despite all of my nasty symptoms, the urine dipstick test that they always do at every office visit showed absolutely no signs of infection! Since I'm on antibiotics, they are sending it out for further testing anyway just to be safe. Because of the negative in office test results, the doctor doesn't want to extend my time on Suprax or prescribe another antibiotic at this point. He's concerned about "creating a monster" if I stay on antibiotics for too long and thinks that I may be running the risk of developing immunity and/or sensitivity to cephalosporins. If that happens I would be in BIG trouble since I'm already allergic to almost every other antiobiotic that is commonly used to treat UTIs. The doctor also thinks the raging yeast infection I have (thanks to the Suprax) may be a contributing factor to my current urethral discomfort so he prescribed diflucan to clear it up. So, all I can do is finish the suprax and hope for the best.

In an attempt to prevent future UTIs, the doctor is putting me on a daily regiment of Methenamine, vitamin C and cranberry capsules. I am wondering if any other Sisters have had any luck with this type of approach to chronic UTIs?
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:56 PM

I'm curious, have you been checked for interstitial cystitis? It may be that the infection might have aggravated your bladder to the point that IF you have IC, it may be flaring up. The only other non-UTI issue I can think of is a need for vaginal estrogen like estrace cream. It can cause us to feel like we have constant UTIs when we don't. I really hope you can get this figured out.
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TantaBobo13 View Post
Well, I just got back from the urologist and, thankfully, they didn't throw rocks (or dirty looks) at me when I walked in the door so I guess they won't be kicking me to the curb - yet. However, after the office visit, I'm more confused than ever.

Despite all of my nasty symptoms, the urine dipstick test that they always do at every office visit showed absolutely no signs of infection! Since I'm on antibiotics, they are sending it out for further testing anyway just to be safe. Because of the negative in office test results, the doctor doesn't want to extend my time on Suprax or prescribe another antibiotic at this point. He's concerned about "creating a monster" if I stay on antibiotics for too long and thinks that I may be running the risk of developing immunity and/or sensitivity to cephalosporins. If that happens I would be in BIG trouble since I'm already allergic to almost every other antiobiotic that is commonly used to treat UTIs. The doctor also thinks the raging yeast infection I have (thanks to the Suprax) may be a contributing factor to my current urethral discomfort so he prescribed diflucan to clear it up. So, all I can do is finish the suprax and hope for the best.

In an attempt to prevent future UTIs, the doctor is putting me on a daily regiment of Methenamine, vitamin C and cranberry capsules. I am wondering if any other Sisters have had any luck with this type of approach to chronic UTIs?
I had weeks of awful uti symtoms and 2 rounds of strong antibiotics. Then the culture i got showed no infection. I did a bunch of research here and on the net and found that Estrace cream can help with urethral pain and these types of issues. The doc gave me a prescription and it worked. Sometimes estrogen cream can help.
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM

Ever since I had my ovaries removed in 2009, I've tried using estrace cream off and on for urinary problems but never had much success. I had lots of problems with Estrace and had to frequently stop using it until the side effects subsided so it probably never got a chance to do it's job. Considering the severity of my recent urinary issues, maybe it's time to try Estrace again. At least until the side effects stop me from using it, that is.

Sadly, Estrace and I don't seem to get along no matter how little I use. Even a pea sized amount sets my urethra off and I experience burning and spasms. Sooooo.... I was wondering if any Sister has ever tried applying Estrace cream to an area other than the vajay-jay? (i.e. the inner thigh or bikini line) I was thinking that maybe I wouldn't have such a bad reaction to estrace if I didn't use it in the "nether regions". I know it's designed to be absorbed by vaginal tissue but MAYBE some of it could make it through the skin. Just thought I'd ask!

I feel old and dried out tonight...
Unread 09-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Well, I thought things were resolved with this stubborn UTI but, as of this morning, the symptoms have returned with a vengence. I almost went to the ER today but, knowing that weekends are a NIGHTMARE in that place, I decided against it. I'm going to painfully hang in until tomorrow and call my urologist first thing in the morning. I'm sure they'll be "thrilled" to hear from me. *smirk*

I know that Klebsiella is notoriously hard to kill but this is RIDICULOUS.....
Unread 09-30-2013, 02:15 AM

Please let us know how it goes today. You really need to get some relief!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register