Ovaries links to breast cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries links to breast cancer Ovaries links to breast cancer

Unread 03-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Ovaries links to breast cancer

Today I was watching TV and over heard a doctor saying that 50% of women who have their ovaries removed have a 50% less chance of getting breast cancer. Has anyone heard of this?
The reason why this concerns me is that, I'm schedule to have a TAH on april 10. I had only plan to have my uterus removed due uterine fibroids. (14weeks gestation) The decision to keep my ovaries was a suggestion from my dr, so that I wouldn't be thrown right into menopause, but I've already started having very strong hot flashing and mood swings. In fact, I wanted him to give me a very low dose of HRT so that my recovery won't be that much worst. But now with this new info makes me want to rethink my decision and get everything done because breast cancer is extremely strong in my family. My Mother and two sisters have had it and I feel that I have a target on my breast just waiting for the right time to show up. So my thoughts are to kill two birds with one stone and if this info is true, how soon should I speak to my dr. about it, being that I have a pre-surgery appt on the 9th of April.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2007, 07:03 PM

I would discuss this with a gyn/oncologist. That is who is doing my surgery. He specializes in ovarian and familial breast cancer. He was telling me that if you have a family history of BC, you may have the BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 gene which increases your risk greatly (however remember - if you do not have the gene, there is more breast cancer in those who DO NOT have a family history). You can check out the American Cancer Society's site for more info. I am having a LAVH with possible BSO (if there is endo). My wish is to preserve my ovaries if possible, but not at the expense of developing other issues. Good Luck.
Unread 03-29-2007, 07:06 PM

It is true, at 43 you would be reducing your risk by 50%. I have a strong link to breast and ovarian cancer in my family and my oncologist that I go to on a preventitive basis told me. The GYNONC that I went to for an evaluation also gave me a copy of the study.

I am 45 and am not taking hormones and feel fine. Everyone is different. The interesting thing is that you could go on estrogen alone and still get the breast cancer benefit. (for 5 years).

I believe this is something to think about for you.

Also, have you had genetic testing? The BRACA genes link breast and ovarian cancer. If you had that gene, you would definately need to get the ovaries removed. If anyone in your mothers family had ovarian cancer, you may want to really think about getting them out.

All the best. Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2007, 07:22 PM

My dr. doesn't want to do the testing on me. He said that if i test positve for the BRACA genes that in some cases people have a harder time getting insured by insurance companies. And yes my grandmother had ovarian cancer.
This is why this is such a hard decision for me and I thought that my dr. would be the one leaning towards taking everything out. The only problem is that this is a new dr. for me. I just moved from Dayton, Ohio this past Christmas and knew that I needed to find a Dr. and basicially found him from the yellow pages. I know no one here in North Carolina. This dr. agreed with the dr in Ohio but he doesn't really know my history, only what I've explained. I'm just wondering should I try to make a appointment before my pre-op on April 9, or maybe talk to his nurse to see if she feels it's necessary to talk with him in advance of my pre-op day. Thank you so much for your comments also, because at least I feel like I'm on to something.
Unread 03-30-2007, 04:46 AM

If I may ask, are you in West NC, Central NC, or Eastern NC?
Unread 03-30-2007, 05:01 AM

Stilldreaming, I've read that if you have both ovaries removed before you are 50 that you will reduce your chances of breast cancer by 50%. Another version I've read is that if you removed both ovaries before menopause you will reduce chances of breast cancer by 50%. I am pretty sure I read that on a major cancer site, but I don't remember which one. Also, I have a friend who has had extensive testing because of recurring breast cancer. She just had a hysterectomy with ovary removal as a cancer prevention. Her genetic councelor has recommened that all of her daughters complete their child bearing early and have ovary removal as soon as possible to prevent breast cancer.

I didn't decide on a BSO because of this, but it did help with my decision a lot. Even though some of the statistics state before 50 as the cutoff date (and I am 50 and a few months), I believe that my chances have been reduced because I was not even perimenopausal at the time of my surgery.
Unread 03-30-2007, 07:20 AM

stilldreaming,

This is no longer a difficult decision for you. You have to get them out. The chances of having the breast and ovarian cancer you described in your family puts your families risk of having the BRACA gene very high. I have done quite a bit of research and our family went through genetic testing.

Now, you have a 50% chance of getting the gene from your mother (if she has it). So you have a 50% chance of having normal risk.

Ovarian cancer is difficult to detect and usually found late. My mom had two sisters who had breast cancer. She never thought of ovarian cancer. She died 15 months after she was diagnosed.

Now if you were dead set against getting your ovaries out, that would be fine, but if you are on the fence, DO IT.

You have even a higher risk of breast and ovarian cancer than me and I had them out in a heart beat.

Also, most doctors do not have the stance your doctor does. In fact, if you have the BRACA in your family, preventative surgery could save lives. Your sisters and mom should at least be monitered for ovarian cancer by ultrasound every 6 months and CA125 every 6 months.

We were tested and did not have it. (at least the BRACA variations they have identified) but my doctor still thinks we have a 20% chance of having the BRACA.

Please take into account that you are at risk of ovarian cancer when making this decision.

Connie
Unread 03-30-2007, 07:25 AM

Another point,

I am getting very spiritual in my old age. How amazing that you saw that on TV right when your were making that decision.

I believe in listening to what God (or what ever you spiritually belive in) if trying to tell your family.

Connie
Unread 03-30-2007, 11:00 AM

I'm actually in Fayetteville, NC. North Carolina is nice but it's not home to me so I'm missing all of my friends and family and with the up coming surgery, I've haven't really gotton out to look for a job or social life, so needless to say this also help's to keep me in a depress state.
Unread 03-30-2007, 11:22 AM

Ladies, Thanks so much for your input and I will be calling my Dr. concerning this matter. I don't know if he simply overlooked my situation or maybe that he just doesn't have the family background to build upon but I do feel strongly enough to bring these fact to his attention. I just didn't want to be characterized by delusions of me thinking I was on to something. And seriously, this whole thing is so confusing for me, I feel like I went into his office,
he said you need to have this done and I said O'kay, see ya the day before the surgery, end of story. (Now I'm not saying that I don't need the surgery done, he is my second opinion) it's just that right now my life seems a little upside down, with the move from Ohio, trying to find a new Dr. and getting settle. I was basicially trying to just go there and establish myself as a patient and to see if I was perimenapausal. I'm 43 and boy have I experienced every symptom in the book, but again I was thinking it could have just been stress.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register