Too late to bother getting an abdominal binder? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too late to bother getting an abdominal binder? Too late to bother getting an abdominal binder?

Unread 09-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Too late to bother getting an abdominal binder?

I'm 10 days post-TAH. Feeling lots better today than 2 days ago. Didn't prepare for all this ahead of time as I didn't know it was going to happen until it did ... but now that I've had time to read up on things, I think an abdominal binder would feel wonderful.

Should I order one now? Or since I've already made it this far, would it be better to just go directly to the support panties (which I know I want to get anyway).

I'm mostly at home - don't have to go back to work or anything. Have had a lot of backache and could really use the support. I'm average-sized, but my belly was poochy before this and it's really slopping around now. Feels much better when I apply some kind of supportive pressure when I take my little walks around the backyard ... or even just go here and there in the house.

I've looked all over the place - can't see how long somebody might want to wear these things for. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Re: Too late to bother getting an abdominal binder?

Hi there Hyster Sister! I would strongly advise the abdominal binder...I love mine! I got mine well into my 3rd week of recovery and so wished I had gotten mine sooner also. I didn't find this site until about 2 weeks into recovery. I have used mine when I returned to my walking...felt like it gave me a safety net under my clothes for my tummy! Also, I just returned to work 2 weeks ago and my job is in a lunchroom at school so tons of lifting and turning and all. It seems to make me feel like walking, safe! It might help with your back and tightens up the swelly belly by wrapping it tight!
Unread 09-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizaloohoo View Post
Hi there Hyster Sister! I would strongly advise the abdominal binder...I love mine! I got mine well into my 3rd week of recovery and so wished I had gotten mine sooner also. I didn't find this site until about 2 weeks into recovery. I have used mine when I returned to my walking...felt like it gave me a safety net under my clothes for my tummy! Also, I just returned to work 2 weeks ago and my job is in a lunchroom at school so tons of lifting and turning and all. It seems to make me feel like walking, safe! It might help with your back and tightens up the swelly belly by wrapping it tight!
Thank you so much! Your answer is just what I was looking for. I've gone back and forth on this for the past couple of days and finally decided to post yet one more question here :-) Going to order it today! Glad it's helped you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2010, 11:03 AM

I agree! Not too late at all. I am one month today and am sitting here now with mine on with the ice pack in it. I was up around alot this morning, so it feels great! And I wear it at work if I am doing something that has me on my feet longer than a few minutes. Helps me to stand up straight!!
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBeagles View Post
I agree! Not too late at all. I am one month today and am sitting here now with mine on with the ice pack in it. I was up around alot this morning, so it feels great! And I wear it at work if I am doing something that has me on my feet longer than a few minutes. Helps me to stand up straight!!
Can't wait to get it, then! The "stand up straight" part ... yeah, I am moving around with a slouch which I'm sure is not doing my back any good!!! I can stand up straighter if I think about it AND am holding my tummy in with at least one hand/arm - but then what else can you do when you are busy doing all that ... besides a lap or two around the backyard :-/
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Sizing??? Anybody still there and care to comment? I measure 36 1/2" around the incision (with a nice pooch of flab hanging down over it ... sigh).

The small size goes up to 36". The next size up starts at 35". Which size would you recommend? I don't really want the extra bulk of 12 inches of binder flapping around all the other extra stuff I'm packing around my belly. However I'm not interested in stuffing myself into something painful either!

What would be your call before I click on "Purchase Now"???
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Hey you know what, I think you could go with the small and be happy! You r probably going to trim down a bit anyways. I got the medium one and was kinda bummed after I got it...it was a lot to wrap around......I didn't want to send it back though and wait for a small one so am dealing with it...but thinking you won't have to wrap like a crazy woman like what I am doing...
Unread 09-04-2010, 11:53 AM

I got the princess/extra-princess size. I wear a 4 or 6 in most of my clothing (under normal circumstances) and this is the perfect size! There's no extra bulk at all. I can actually wear it under my size 6 jeans...which I did to work yesterday.
Unread 09-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Lizaloohoo and TwoBeagles - initially I was confused at what to do after reading both your replies! But in the end I concluded that I could probably not lose by going with either the smaller or the bigger one!!! So I'm going to place my order with confidence and be happy with what I get! Measured again and managed to shave off 1/2 inch, so I am going to go with the smaller one and hope for the best.

Can't wait til it gets here ... wishing it wasn't a long weekend though!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register