How am I going to do this with two small children? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How am I going to do this with two small children? How am I going to do this with two small children?

Unread 06-01-2005, 06:34 AM
How am I going to do this with two small children?

Hello Friends,

I haven't scheduled my surgery yet, mostly because I am not sure when it would be the best time for my family. My DH says I should wait until the fall when my DS will be in kindergarten, but just for half days. Then I would just have my DD to "worry" about. She will almost be three by then.

The DH wonders why I would want to schedule the surgery in the summer when there is so much going on. My thoughts are that I should have the surgery soon and the warm weather and sunshine would help the healing process and any depression I might feel after the surgery. In the fall, I figure that I will be sitting around with too much time to think and start to make up aches and pains that aren't there or embellish the ones that are. I am 39 and am going into surgery for fibroids and heavy bleeding. I am making myself sick just worrying about the unknown and what the right decision is, etc. Any insight?

Bugga Bean:hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2005, 07:21 AM

BB,

I guess no time is a good time for surgery. But if I were in your situation, I would rather do it this summer. Your oldest child is going to embark on a journey this fall. Most children adapt to school rather easily but they are nervous and scared. Your youngest is also going to need to adjust to the daytime absence of your oldest.

Adding the stress of mommy going to the hospital for a few days, well I would think it might put a bit too much stress on them. I foresee temper tantrums, whining, and clinginess.

Either way, you will need extra help. And a good babysitter!

Good luck!

Dee
Unread 06-02-2005, 08:33 AM

If you were by yourself you could probably handle things,but with little ones,you NEED help.I don't know how,who,or what ,but you need to find some help.I have 3 teenagers and 3 dogs....the dogs were the worst.Getting up and down to take them out,see what they are getting into.....and I remember when the kids were little....it's the same deal.Please try and find someone to come doing the running after the kids for a week at least.MY OPINION>>>but I think others will agree........good luck!!!....Oh,and oops.......I'd pick summer too......sorry to ramble,but I'm pretty serious about it actually.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2005, 09:51 PM

I would have the surgery when you are going to be able to get the most help from people. Summer time might be better because high school girls will be out of school and you could hire one to help play with your kids while dh is at work.
I have a 4 yr old and it is hard having this surgery with little kids. I had help around the clock for 3 weeks straight, then at week 4 I did half days and someone would come and help with the other half. Little ones needs are constant and endless so if I were you I would talk with dh and family and see when they would be more able to help you. If there is anything else I can help you with please never hesititate to e-mail or pm me!!!
Michelle
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM
two small children...

I really appreciate the input from both of you. With some more female conversation with a couple of neighbors and with your posts, I have been given the extra boost I needed to move on with my trip to the castle. I called the Dr. office and am waiting for a call back to schedule my surgery. I just need to remember to do what is right for me and not worry about everyone else for a change. I am very thankful for having been told about this website. I am a big fan, and very grateful. I just wish I wasn't such a scaredy princess-wanna be! I am going to have a SAH, and hopefully keep the ovaries and cervix. Thank you again.

BuggaBean
Unread 06-03-2005, 11:30 AM

Hi BuggaBean,

You and I have similar situations. My son will be 3 in Oct. My girls will be 8 and 10 this summer. I was thinking summer would be better due to the weather etc and having more help. We do a lot of camping and riding atvs that would be the drawback to summer. I am looking at Sept., but I am really worried about how to manage my son and my girls coping with it all. My hubby is great, but I am never really sick. I know he will help but I am feeling overwhelmed with it all. My Mom would also help but she is not very healthy. My girls will be in school and my son will be at daycare. It just makes me worried about it all.

Good luck
Connie
Unread 06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
hyst and kids

I had my hyst in jan of 03. My girls were about 4 and not quite 2 at the time. I had my mom help me out for two weeks. Hubby couldn't get time off. He was working days and left at 3 am. Anyway I would have loved to have had my hyst in the summer. More room to move. I hated being cooped up in the house. Plus I got cold really easily with the changes in my hormones. Being right after christmas didn't help. I was told that I had cancer two days after christmas. Thank god they got it all. I too had thoughts of what if. I think that you need to do what is right for you and your family. Talk to your hubby. He needs to see your side.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register