I can't decide what to do...HELP!!!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I can't decide what to do...HELP!!!!! I can't decide what to do...HELP!!!!!

Unread 09-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I can't decide what to do...HELP!!!!!

I thought that with a vag hyster for prolapse the cervix has to come out...was I wrong? In any case, I have had abnormal results from a pap smear so I want it gone, just in case.

Right now I'm thinking that I'm just going to go for the gusto and have it done. I'm going to talk to my Dr some more & then go from there but that's what I'm leaning towards. That's today...I still might change my mind again before Tues. I'm just so dang anxious and scared. I keep having this surgery every night in my dreams & I wake up feeling anything but refreshed. I'll be glad when this is all over!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2005, 04:05 PM

that seems to be a good enough reason to say goodbye to your cervix ;0)
- Good luck with whatever you decided - I found recovery a doddle compared to the wait before hand (nightmares, daymares and inbetween mares too!)
take care
Chicky
Unread 09-10-2005, 04:43 PM

Thanks so much! I'll post when it's all over with & let you know what happens. Yep, the waiting is pure h-e-double toothpicks!!!! I feel like I have a constant knot in my tummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2005, 05:47 PM
what to do ...bladder

are they putting in a TVT sling ? I too leaked when sneezed they did the testing to justify putting in the sling... I had vaginal surgery if you are planning on having this done any way I would do at the same time who wants to be in hospital again?? and go thru all you go thru before surgery and after?? if you want more info about my surgery email me back and will fill you in...I was very happy with my outcome
now fighing the hormone jungle
Unread 09-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Hello Tracy,

I felt like I was reading my own story when I read your post! My surgery is scheduled for Tues and I am having TVH (possible TAH). I also have a minor bladder issue. I would have had the bladder repair at the same time, but my doctor wanted me to see a urologist. The first available appointment is later in October!! I didn't want to postpone the hyst., but I didn't want my bladder issue to get worse after surgery either!! I talked to my mom and she had bladder problems several years after her hyst., but when she lost weight and started toning up her abs the problem went away. Since I need to lose a few pounds and my problem is very minor - only when I sneeze alot and my bladder is full - I decided to not postpone the hyst. and take my chances. I have heard that sometimes the bladder problems get better and sometimes they get worse. I haven't read any posts about the scary stuff, so I don't know if that would have swayed me one way or another, but if my doctor could do the bladder repair herself or if the urologist could have been there, I would have it done at the same time - just in case.

GL with your decision and GL with your surgery and recovery. I will be thinking about you on Tuesday (well, when I'm not drugged up!! )

Kat
Unread 09-10-2005, 08:49 PM

The TVT slings are a simple solution to stress incontinence, both with surgery and recovery. About 50% of patients have to come home with a catheter due to urethral swelling. The catheter is usually able to be taken out within a week. Of course everyone heals differently--what you're told and what you read are just guidelines..
I personally had the procedure 8 months after the hysterectomy and have had no problems.

stay well
diana
Unread 09-10-2005, 09:01 PM
post TVT

guess I was lucky the dr filled my bladder and I voided much more water than he put in... so went home with no cathiter at all... had a few stitches in me and that was about it..
Unread 09-11-2005, 09:52 AM

jeanne123 -

I can't remember the exact name of the procedure that he initially suggested. I'm pretty sure it wasn't TVT. I do recall reading on the pre-operative papers (before I had him cross it off) that it was a vaginal sling (Lynx). I don't know if that sounds familiar to anyone or not. (Anyone know anything about this?) Thank you for letting me know that you had a good outcome. It is really reassuring to know that you are happy that you had it done.

Kat - (KitKat123)-

Thank you so much for your post! Just reading it made me feel so much better about things. It really helps to know that I'm not alone and that there is someone out there who knows exactly how I feel. I appreciate your perspective on just getting it done & unless my Dr decides against it will probably just go ahead with it. I sure don't want to go back for another surgery. I highly recommend staying away from the bladder section on these boards because some of the things that can happen are a little frightening. Kat - I will be thinking about you on Tues as well & I will pray that everything goes well for you!!!!!!! Please let me know how you are doing!

Diana - (dg2901) -

Just knowing that there are ladies out there who have had it done and are glad they did it really helps me to realize that the scary stuff isn't the norm. Thank you so much for letting me know that you haven't had any problems. It does help to alleviate some fears.

Thanks so much to everyone!!!!
Tracy
Unread 09-11-2005, 11:07 AM

Tracy,
Good Luck to you in your surgery. I was one of those who had to wait to see how my bladder reacted after being put back in place (grade 3 cystocele). I am still only having a drip once and a while and of course I don't pee anymore when having an orgasm (uterus gone). So I think I made the right decision to wait.
I guess there is no answer to weather or not to have a urethra sling put in - but if you do make sure it's working shortly thereafter - they are very hard to reverse if you wait too long. Good Luck with your surgery. See you on the other side. Hugs.
Unread 09-11-2005, 06:19 PM

Dear Tracy,
I hope I'm not too late to chime in!

I had a LAVH with A&P repair, bladder sling and tummy tuck on June 7. Whew! Lots done! It was all worth it. Yes, there was some pain, but it was not horrendous and it got a little better each day.

With regards to the bladder tape, I'm really loving it! I was to the point where the only time I didn't wear a pad was while I was asleep. I leaked not only when I sneezed, coughed or jumped, but walking up the stairs or sometimes even across the room would leave me damp. I was SO ready for relief! After the surgery it was frustrating at first because I almost had to teach myself how to pee again. It was hard the first few times to really relax and let it loose. (It's also hard to describe the feeling.) For the first few days (after the catheter came out) it would take me sometimes 5 minutes to be able to start a urine stream. I almost had to forget what I was trying to do and trick myself into relaxing! Each time got a little easier and now it's almost normal. I say almost because the stream isn't very strong. It's just slow and steady. It gets the job done, but at a slower pace. I have a funny story about that! A couple of weeks ago I woke up with an incredibly full bladder. I sat down on the toilet and I swear that I peed continuously for about 90 seconds - maybe two full minutes. It seemed like a lifetime. After I was done there was about 5 seconds of silence and then I hear my husband's voice from the bedroom, full of admiration, say, "Nice!" Ha!

Hope this helped!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register