Questions about the OR and Anesthesia - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about the OR and Anesthesia Questions about the OR and Anesthesia

Unread 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Questions about the OR and Anesthesia

My pre-surgery experience sounds likd grjags' except I don't even remember being wheeled into surgery! In pre-op, I was given a sedative (in my IV line) and the next thing I remember was waking up in post-op. It was way easier than I was imagining. Don't overdue to "control thing" of wanting to know everything. I had a nurse tell me later that the wonderful thing about all the meds is that they cause amnesia about the procedure itself. So, I was either asleep before leaving pre-op or the drugs blocked out any memories I have between pre- and post-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2007, 12:52 PM

hello, since I have gotten a couple of "no they do strap you down" replies, I would just like to say that here, in california, in fresno, they do NOT, I have seen the surgery done, also seen many other surgeries done, and I have never seen someone strapped down. that's all take care sisters
Unread 03-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Greetings from another "high A" type personality aka "control freak". I had a total abdominal hyster on 2/27. The best advise I can give is to make sure your Doc knows this about you--and get them to tell you exactly what will happen. Mine did and it really helped with the nerves and feeling out of control before the big event. I ended up with some unexpected heart issues after surgery--but because my doc knew my need for control and info, she was great in making sure that everyone (including a cardiologist that was called in) understood my need for info. Am now on the mend, been working from home since week 2--my energy isn't back to my normal driving self, but feeling better day by day. Ask great questions and you'll be fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2007, 06:55 PM

I am a control freak too. Earlier this week I finally accepted the general anesthesia part. I was a wreck. Ready to cancel. But then when I thought through it, read some things on here, realized I needed to be "healed" and this was the only path to getting better, I came to accept it all. I do want to know every thing that is going to be done. But I am thinking of asking that it all be done after I am out. The part about having my arms strapped down. Can't they do that after you are asleep? I've had 3 catheters put in while I was awake and not numb. It isn't fun but I could handle it. What I can't handle is that bright cold room, the tiny narrow table and then laying flat on your back and having your arms tied down. I am going to ask that as much of that be done AFTER I'm in Italy! (that's where I tell myself I'm going when they put me out!) I also want to ask if I can take as much Xanax or Ativan as possible on the few days before. I know me, and I will work myself up in to a huge panic attack. Just thinking about the arms being strapped right now makes me scared. I'm over the tube in my throat, I think. Someone replied earlier this week that made me realize it is a life line of sorts if something should go wrong. So instead of fearing it, I will accept it and be glad, it could save my life.

Freswench, I grew up in Reedley and Orange Cove! We miss parts of CA, the beach and mountains being so close. But we love it in KY too. It's all a trade off!

Great thread, I'm glad I'm not the only one wanting to know every last detail.

Sandra
Unread 03-23-2007, 07:00 PM

I was absolutely terrified of the OR experience. I have the same control issues and made it clear to my dr. that they can't strap me down until I am out! Before they took me to the OR, they gave me verced to calm me. When I was in there, two lovely nurses were busy getting me ready, putting a hairnet on, the chest monitors, etc. Shortly afterwards, the doctor came in and said he was giving me medicine to go to sleep. He put something in my IV and I don't remember a thing again until I was in the recover. Had another quick surgery the next week, with the exact same experience!

Good luck to you!
TeeMar
Unread 03-24-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singinintherain
Do you mean the mind games we play with ourselves? I know what you mean. But I can't seem to stop researching and finding out what's in store.
Yes, I mean the mind games we play with ourselves. Imagination is not always a good thing, especially when you are a worrier. Maybe it's the control thing that people are mentioning. I just don't like the thought of being *put to sleep* and being at the mercy of everyone else. Of course, I wouldn't want it any other way. I wouldn't want to be awake for it and it's good to know that you are in a capable MDs hands.
Unread 03-24-2007, 07:59 AM

I went for my pre-op appointment yesterday. When you read all the possible risks and complications, it makes you wanna change your mind. I asked the anesthesiologist about the strapping down thing. He said that a lot of people do not like to be strapped down while they are conscious, and that I can request that they do not do anything until I am under.
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox49
Can't they do that after you are asleep?
San, just go to a hospital in Fresno, CA, where they do NOT strap you down, and you'll be fine.

Seriously, yes -- unless there is some reason that you need to be awake when they place you on the table (back problems, etc., where they must make sure you're lying in a comfortable position) -- then I would ask to be pretty much out before you get to the OR.

Maybe your hospital does this anyway? Ask at your pre-op appointment this week.

HUGE
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriCx3
I asked the anesthesiologist about the strapping down thing. He said that a lot of people do not like to be strapped down while they are conscious, and that I can request that they do not do anything until I am under.
Excellent, Lori!
Unread 03-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailene
Yes, I mean the mind games we play with ourselves. Imagination is not always a good thing, especially when you are a worrier. Maybe it's the control thing that people are mentioning. I just don't like the thought of being *put to sleep* and being at the mercy of everyone else. Of course, I wouldn't want it any other way. I wouldn't want to be awake for it and it's good to know that you are in a capable MDs hands.
I hear you, sister. Stupid me went to Wikipedia and read about all the stages of general anesthesia. mg: NOT a good thing for me to have done.

The one good thing I read was that deaths from general anesthesia number only 5 in a million. Those are some pretty awesome odds in our favor.

But a spinal is not an option for me with the LSH, so I have no choice. When the time comes, probably late summer or early fall, I will just have to accept it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register