Diagnosed...endometrial early stage post menapause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Diagnosed...endometrial early stage post menapause Diagnosed...endometrial early stage post menapause

Unread 07-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Diagnosed...endometrial early stage post menapause

I wonder if anyone else out there post-mena, has had endometrial cancer? If so when and how did it all go. They are saying I can have a robotic hysterectomy, but I wont know for sure until I see the OB/ONC on Weds. The test leading to this looked promising as far as it being contained, but as we all know, they wont really know til they're in there.
Im looking for info, and guidance, and prayer if anyone is interested.
Finding this sight led me to the 2nd opinion which led me to this....and though the "C" word is scary enough, the word "early" is encouraging! I have survived thyroid cancer 2x so I am anxious yet hopeful. Looking forward to your replies.Jojo56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Re: Diagnosed...endometrial early stage post menapause

JoJo -

Welcome to the spot that no one wants to be! Glad you found us and as you already said hearing "C" is a scary thing.

There are many women here who have been post menopausal and I'm sure they will be along shortly to give you insights.

I wasn't post menopausal but I was able to have the robotically assisted surgery. Glad to hear your are exploring minimally invasive options.

and welcome,
Unread 07-27-2011, 05:51 PM

I was post menopausal and had endometrial ca, stage 1 grade 1. I had only surgery for treatment. I had an easy recovery and I've had normal exams since. The year prior to my diagnosis, my mom also had endometrial ca and although she needed chemo, she has had 2 yrs of normal followups. Do you have any questions you are thinking of? We will try to help. Fortunately it's a very treatable cancer. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Let us know how your GYN onc appt goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Jojo to the forum no one runs to join but where there are many wonderful women who have "been there" so understand at least partially how you feel and with much info, support and kindness to share.

As endometrial cancer generally has been considered a disease which strikes post-menopausal women, there are many on our site including myself. "Early" is a key adjective and in fact often this type cancer is found in this stage as it shows symptoms early - such as spotting which alerts women to seek medical attention. When it is an early stage which is true for you, very often the surgery alone can be the full cure and I am hoping this is true for you.

To get some general over views re this type cancer, you can peruse the appropriate articles from our resources sections; just click on the following links:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_cancer.htm# and https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_cancer.htm

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions and someone seems to be around almost 24/7. I 'm sending positive thoughts to you and keeping you in prayer. This is a scary journey but many have been down it before you and will be here for you.
:
Unread 07-27-2011, 08:28 PM

I was about 4 years post menopausal when I was diagnosed. I had a TAH and apart from a few glitches (an infection about 2 weeks post surgery and an incisional hernia about 5 months post surgery) it has, so far, gone pretty well.
Unread 07-27-2011, 10:32 PM

Hi there. Just wanted you all to know I have scheduled my surgery for Aug 1. We met our ONC Dr today and he was great. He spent as much time as we needed answering questions and was very thorough. He also confirmed that my instincts were right about the 2nd opinion. I would have had the wrong type of surgery & possible miss on the cancer with more complications. Feeling very confident now. Thank you for being there and keep praying. We still have to see what happens in there, but I feel confident that we will be fine. Blessings to you all.
"He goes before us if we only ask" Jojo56
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:14 AM

Glad to hear the appt. went well. It is very important to have a gyn/onc. do the surgery or at least be there to assist. I had both my gyn and gyn/onc on mine. My gyne thought he could do my surgery, but after finding this site, I insisted on the gyn/onc being added. As you can see from my signature, surgery does not always turn out the way they anticipate. That way once they start, they can do complete staging/grading with possible sample of lymph nodes, etc.
Wishing you the best for an easy surgery and quick recovery.
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo56 View Post
Hi there. Just wanted you all to know I have scheduled my surgery for Aug 1. We met our ONC Dr today and he was great. He spent as much time as we needed answering questions and was very thorough. He also confirmed that my instincts were right about the 2nd opinion. I would have had the wrong type of surgery & possible miss on the cancer with more complications. Feeling very confident now. Thank you for being there and keep praying. We still have to see what happens in there, but I feel confident that we will be fine. Blessings to you all.
"He goes before us if we only ask" Jojo56
Since today is August 9th, that would mean that you are now 8 days post op. Hope you are doing well. I was diagnosed with endometrial adenocarcinoma at the end of February, TAH/BSO 3/29/11. Surgery went very well, recovery went very well also -pain of course, but totally tolerable. Final pathology was Grade 1, Stage 1b, no further treatment necessary. I will have my first pap smear since the initial diagnosis at the end of this month. Praying that all is well with you! Sending hugs and prayers your way today
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM

I changed doctors and he suggested I have a "standard" set of ultrasounds. Although I was symptomless. When the technician said she would like to do "some additional tests that the doctor had not ordered" I suspected something was wrong. Sure enough a thickened endometrium led to biopsies, and an endometrial cancer diagnosis followed by a hysterectomy,and BSO. I hoped for a TVH but doctor said he liked to have a good look around, taking several biopsies, as well as washing the abdominal cavity.
The recovery process went well,although I was shocked by the uneven progress, feeling full of energy one day, and then two steps back. Settled down for the long wait for pathology results, nearly four weeks post op, and was thrilled when results showed Stage 1 Grade 1, so no radiation required, just usual monitoring. I asked my Family Physician why he ordered the ultrasounds and he said he believed in them as he had caught symptomless abdominal aorta aneurisms, and cases of uterine and ovarian cancer.
So if you are post menopausal consider asking for ultrasound scans, it's all about early detection!
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM

I was post-menopausal when I was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia/adenocarcinoma grade 1. However, I had been on HRT for many years. My doctor told me that my condition was likely caused by the estrogen I was taking, even though I did combine it with progesterone.

My doctor did not find cancer at hysterectomy, and my final diagnosis likely will be "complex hyperplasia with atypia," but I won't know for sure until I see my doctor on Friday. It's my opinion that the cancer or suspected cancer that was detected during my D&C biopsy was so small that it was removed during that procedure.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register