LSH-12 days out and very frustrated!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH-12 days out and very frustrated!!!! LSH-12 days out and very frustrated!!!!

Unread 03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
LSH-12 days out and very frustrated!!!!

I am so confused and frustrated. I had a LSH kept ovaries and cervix on 3/13/09 and I had my post op app yesterday. I am still EXTREMELY sore and have really bad pressure in my bottom, could be gas pains but I am taking stool softner and gas x everyday. I am being checked for a bladder infection also. On top of that I have kidney stones right now. What I am frustrated about is my Dr made me feel like I am crazy for feeling this way. Like I should be fully healed by now and back on my regular routine. I have pain and soreness still, I am only 31 yrs old. Ive never been a fast healer either. He has already cleared me for intercourse. Is this normal? I am only 12 days post op. I am so not ready for my husband to back to work yet, I dont feel like I am able to drive and take care of our daughter and take care of the household chores. I am still taking pain medication and he wont extend any time off work for my husband. Can anyone who has had a LSH please tell me how they felt 12 days after surgery and if you think my Dr is being unreasonable or is it just me??? Thanks for any advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2009, 04:21 AM
Re: 12 days out and very frustrated!!!!

Hi there, I wanted to answer you as I feel for your situation.
I think you have a very unreasonable doctor and a very insensitive doctor at that! I cannot comprehend a doctor clearing you for intercourse so soon after such major surgey. I certainly could not imagine my doctor clearing me so soon! Intercourse too soon can result in damage, I havent read of any other sisters here being cleared for intercourse so soon. I dont think you are crazy, I am almost six weeks out and still have my days where I am not 100%. Of course you are still sore and in pain, you have had major surgey. I had SAH, have ovaries and cervix like you, I had a small repair done as well. Of course you still want your husband around, I dont know what I would have done with out mine, he has been off work with me for six weeks.
Don't be hard on yourself, we only get one chance to heal properly anything you do too soon will just set you back. Have you got another doctor you could see who is more understanding that could extend the time off work for your husband?
I wish you all the best, it does get better, the first three weeks were the worst for me, I then seemed to hit a turning point, I am improving every day, but it has been a slow recovery and I am just going with how I feel, as it changes on a daily basis.
Unread 03-27-2009, 05:11 AM

stool softners only give me gas...are you going to the bathroom every day? the pressure and pain you feel might be from constipation. are you still taking pain killers? they can make you very constipated also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2009, 07:34 AM

hopeful,

I am really sorry your is being insensitive. My surgeon was the same way. I chose him for his impeccable reputation and surgical skills. Unfortunately, his bedside manner wasn't as impressive. However, I always managed to receive outstanding medical care.

You are going through a lot and your body is recovering. I think become almost numb to our complaints/issues. If you are still confident that your doc is competent, I would stick it out. But, if you think your care is being compromised, I would probably start trying to find a new doctor.

Take it easy, don't feel RUSHED to heal. Let your body heal at it's own pace.

Unread 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Re: LSH-12 days out and very frustrated!!!!

(((Hopeful77)))
I added LSH to the beginning of your title, so hopefully you will hear from some more members who have had this same surgery. I'm also so sorry to hear your dr wasn't more understanding. We all heal at different rates and if you don't feel ready, then you aren't. Your dr may have wanted to assure you, but it sounds like he lacked a listening ear.

I know some women who have the LSH recover in an amazingly quick amount of time, but that doesn't mean they all do. Listen to your body and do what you need to do for yourself. I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Try not to let the stress get to you. Pace yourself and try not to over do. The healing will come.
Rita
Unread 03-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Hopeful77,

I had the same procedure as you on 3/19 and after reading your post I am teary eyed. I am 36 years old and I am day 7 post op and still very uncomfortable. I also kept cervix and ovaries. I like you have a kidney stone. For the past four days have had the most painful bowel movements, I'm not constipated and have been taking stool softeners since day 1. It is stabbing pains and feeling like my insides are going to come out. Excruciating! I do also feel the pressure in my bottom, so every time I sit I am extremely slow and careful.

I am also discouraged, everything I have read about LSH talks of hardly any pain and how quickly the recovery was (a big reason I chose this procedure). I know we all heal differently and we shouldn't compare, but it is really hard not to.

You are not alone, I am sad that your recovery is slow like mine but is such a RELIEF knowing I am not alone here.

I can't believe you were cleared for intercourse, that sounds absurd to me. My dr. said 4 weeks for that. To my DH dismay it is the furthest thing from my mind.

I also feel so very guilty, my husband and I have six children between the two of us and with spring sports just starting he is running after kids, making dinner, doing laundry etc......

I am going to the dr. today and will post later and let you know what is discussed.

Thanks for listening....
Unread 03-27-2009, 09:06 AM

Hopeful,

I too had a LSH, kept ovaries and cervix on 3/13/09. I am just starting to have more hours of each day where i feel more like my old self, but my body quickly reminds me i am 2 weeks post op. I had my post op on Wed.(3/11) 1st of all Dr. said no intercourse for 2 more weeks. Still no tub bath or hot tub for 2 more weeks. Cervix is still healing. She also said even though this was LSH the complete healing time is still 4-6 weeks. She checked my cervix and did a quick internal, which by the way left me in pain the rest of the day. Shows how tender we still are down there. I have been really lucky with no gas or constipation, I have been really careful about what i put in my mouth since preop, trying to prevent this problem.

I think at this point you need to listen to your body and the other women who post here. 2-4 more weeks of rest is going to make a huge difference.

LSH for painful fibroid and adenomyosis
kept ovaries and cervix
age 51
Unread 03-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Hopeful,

I just returned from the drs. and after explaining to him what I was feeling he did an exam and found what he called a mass, he thinks it may be a cyst. I am going for a cat scan Monday morning.

Feeling very discouraged, has anyone experienced anything similar.

Oh, I also found that along with fibroids I also had adenomyosis.

Thanks for listening again...wishing everyone a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:14 AM

Hi Sisters....Well I just returned from the ER. I started having pain in my leg with swelling, called the advise line and they told me I might have a blood clot and needed to go to the ER right away. So off hubby and I went. They did a ultrasound on my leg for the blood clot and THANK GOD I do not have one. But my kidney stones are sure rolling around in there. I am having extremely bad pain, nausea and a slight fever. Popped a percaset (sp?) and it took the edge off. Found out I have 5 kidney stones. UGH!!!! They do run in my family and I have been dealing with them for yrs. And with having my hysterectomy on the 13th of march, Its just my luck that they would start to act up. I also started having A LOT of clearish-yellowish discharge and the Dr said I may have an infection and I am now taking Cipro and the bladder infection they thought I had was negative.I did call and change my Dr so we will see how that turns out. Thank you to everyone who has given me advise, this website is wonderful. I would feel so lost without it. I just feel like things are never going to turn around. Its one thing after another. I am trying to think positive and telling myself that things can only get better. Its just so frustrating, ya know. I did buy a pair of maternity jeans today with the elastic at the waist because all my other jeans the button hits my belly button and hurt. Helps with the swelly belly.They are very comfortable and it makes me feel a bit better to get out of sweat pants too

Thanks for letting me vent. Hope everyone is feeling better in their recovery. Just trying to take deep breaths and think positive.
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:01 AM

Hopeful,

Having a fever and nausea with pain is a sign you are about to or are passing a stone. I do hope you have a rx for some sort of pain med. as this can be extremely painful. Hang in there and keep thinking positive thoughts.

Jen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register