Hystersister triathletes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Women Who Run

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hystersister triathletes Hystersister triathletes

Unread 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Hystersister triathletes

Hello, I had a total hysterectomy on June 2 with both ovaries and tubes. Any tri hystersisters out there? Interested in your stories of how training resumed after surgery? This is my second year in tri training and I can begin exercising in two weeks but feel really tired. And do not wish to overdue it. But would like to get back into training . Love to hear your stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Re: Hystersister triathletes

Well maybe we can share our stories together. I too love to do triathlons and was disappointed that my season was cut short this year by my surgery. I was able to get one race in: I raced Saturday July 12 and had my surgery Monday July 14. So I am 4 days post op. I see my doctor next week and will let her tell me what I can and can't do based on my surgery (radical hysterectomy including surrounding tissue and lymph nodes due to cervical cancer).

I am really concerned about bloating. I had daVinci so they used lots of gas to inflate my abdomen. Result: I look about 6 months pregnant! Do you feel ready to work out again? Gosh I don't know what I will do if I have to wait 6 weeks. I am planning an out of town half marathon in October!
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Had full hysterectomy and bladder lift on June 9. Don't have my first doc appt. until my 6 wk mark. I thought that a little to long, had a lot of questions and concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Hystersister triathletes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikate View Post
Well maybe we can share our stories together. I too love to do triathlons and was disappointed that my season was cut short this year by my surgery. I was able to get one race in: I raced Saturday July 12 and had my surgery Monday July 14. So I am 4 days post op. I see my doctor next week and will let her tell me what I can and can't do based on my surgery (radical hysterectomy including surrounding tissue and lymph nodes due to cervical cancer).

I am really concerned about bloating. I had daVinci so they used lots of gas to inflate my abdomen. Result: I look about 6 months pregnant! Do you feel ready to work out again? Gosh I don't know what I will do if I have to wait 6 weeks. I am planning an out of town half marathon in October!
Hi TriKate,

I am sorry you are dealing w cervical cancer. Glad you responded and wish you well on your recovery. Let me just offer this to you, please go slow. I am out 7 weeks and I feel ready for gentle exercise. Tomorrow I will swim open water for the first time. Also, biking you ride flat about 6 times because your poor abdominal wall needs that. I suck at running so haven't missed it. But walking is great. But I don't feel very well right now so i admit being upbeat is hard. But I would love to hear more about your training. Best wishes! Nicafrank aka Dawn

Ps I still have bloating or Swelly belly and I looked pregnant most of the week. But it gets better. I hear it can last up to 6 months or a year on and off.
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:41 PM

I know this is an old post, but I'm a lowly Sprint Triathlete and I had my surgery on 9/4.. my goal is to do my first post op race in March 2015. I need to pick a race, somewhere in the southern half of the Continental US, like California or FLA. We'll see what I find. After all of the reading, I am wondering if perhaps that goal is too aggressive. We'll see how I progress. I don't plan to do any "real" exercise until I am cleared to do so.
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:58 PM

No triathlete is lowly!!

I think it really depends on you. March may be just fine for you.

I took the full 6 weeks like my doctor suggested and just walked. I was up to almost 5 miles when I got to the weekend before my restriction for no running was lifted. (I almost made it)

I jogged a little on and off on my walks that weekend and felt fine. So two weeks ago today I started jogging. Slow for me. 10-11 minute miles. I could go a little faster in the beginning but lost my legs. I started with 3 easy miles at 10 minute pace (for reference in April I was running under 8 minute splits for 5/10Ks and did a half marathon in 1:56.

I am now starting to go almost 5. everything feels fine. I need to work on getting my legs back. but I know it will come. I have found that I don't run on consecutive days yet so I have a day off to see if anything bothered me. (kinda like feeding new foods to your baby and waiting a couple of days to add something new)

Dawn-I haven't really swam yet. Spent a week at lake cottage a few weeks ago and barely did anything but walk. Thought kayaking would be ok but it didn't feel right. SUP board was fine though! Thanks for the encouragement!
Unread 09-09-2014, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the response TriKate! So glad to hear from someone who is resuming training successfully. You're an inspiration to me. Please kee us posted on your progress.

Do you do any weight training? If so, how much have you resumed? I do crossfit style workouts twice per week with a trainer, and I won't be doing anything until I am cleared to do it, but I am a little nervous about lifting those heavy medicine balls and kettlebells again. Who knew I would MISS those things. I hated them before surgery. LOL.
Unread 09-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Hi Ladies, thanks for your replies. I have to admit, I had a bike accident and that put the kibosh on my riding until next year. And the running is a NO Go. I shook some things up that really didn't need shaking. I have resumed swimming. I am very slow still but still out there is in the open water. It is really too cold now, but I am still longing for it. I guess I need to hit the pool. I had some things that were "complications" after surgery that have slowed me down. I have to admit I don't really feel like myself since surgery, if I were being honest. Right now, I feel very tired and my motivation is gone.

I have started cleaning eating and that has been going great! I know it will help with training but I think my body is screaming 'rest'. Right now, walking and strength training are what I can do. I just started working with a Physical Therapist on my core to build it back up.

How are you all doing? Sounds like you are out there and moving. Yay. Great job. I am really happy to hear that news. It gives me a lot of hope, you have no idea.

Thanks for sharing your stories, it gives me great encouragement.

Nicafrank
Unread 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM

How's your training going for March?? Would love to hear some inspirational stories and goals people set up that first year.

I had a TAH Jan 8 and on my rest planning some races in the fall. A few days before I had surgery did my own mini sprint tri at the gym. I'm looking at one in June and a 1/2 marathon in September. I'm really just so excited to be able to exercise without large fibroid and discomfort of feeling like I'm 4 months pregnant! I've been stretching mildly, a few calf raises, and deep abdominal breathing. I read that and trying to stand up straight (no easy task) are good starts.

Very best to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register