Peri area feels tender/raw, 1 wk post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Peri area feels tender/raw, 1 wk post op Peri area feels tender/raw, 1 wk post op

Unread 08-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Peri area feels tender/raw, 1 wk post op

Hello sisters,

I feel funny posting this but Ive read some threads on here about other issues that could be considered TMI so maybe Im ok with this one.

Ive noticed the last couple of days that Im very aware of my periarea. Its not quite raw but it seems sensitive when I wipe (I only pat dry) and even just sitting Im very aware of it. I would imagine theres some swelling and some mild tissue trauma. I had a LAVH on the 18th. I finally got brave enough to get a mirror and look down there and things seem somewhat 'stretched'. Also when I pull things apart to look at my vaginal opening it looks like theres little things around the opening? I dont know quite how to describe it. Im sorry I dont really know how my vagina opening looked before so maybe this is normal?

just wondering if anyone else has experienced or noticed these feelings after surgery and will it get better? please tell me it will. Maybe the sitting too much isnt helping but even when im lying down I have the urge to allow air to flow down there, to not have anything touching my periarea.
help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Re: Peri area feels tender/raw, 1 wk post op

All of what your saying sounds familiar but I can't tell you if it is normal or not. Have you tried ice? Or cold compress? I'll keep an eye on your responses out of personal curiosity. Feel better soon
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Hi (((silentfilms)))

I think it would be a good idea to give your doctor a call to describe what you are seeing. Maybe there is an easy solution to your discomfort that they can help you with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2009, 10:23 AM

It could be that you have a little infection going on? You would need to see the doctor for him to be able to tell you that. I remember being very irritated down there & I asked if I could use KY jelly & my doctor said that would be fine or a little vagisil. It has some comforting vitamins that sooth a little bit. Keep us posted.
Unread 08-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Thank you all for your input. Late yesterday I stopped using the minipads, didnt seem to need them anyway. I also 'iced' my periarea with a bag of frozen corn! My DH got a laugh out of that, but it felt SO good! Today the area feels much better!

I searched and found a thread from a couple of years ago about the same issue and she stopped using the minipads so I gave it a try and presto! I love this site. Always someone willing to listen, lend support or advice.

Again thank you all, I hope the issue is solved!
Unread 08-27-2009, 03:00 PM

If you feel safe not using a mini pad could you do without underwear while you sleep?? Letting the area air out seemed to help me as well.
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:29 PM

That's awesome (((silentfilms)))

<--Pretend this is a dancing corn on the cob instead of a banana.
Unread 08-27-2009, 07:32 PM

I never could bring myself to sleep with any level of nakedness, haha Im just weird that way.

Thanks for the dancing banana! LOL thats great!
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM

Have you used the minipads before? Are the pads scented or with the dryfresh finish or powder? Do you still have discharge? Were you changing the pads each trip to the bathroom or every couple of hours at minimum? Have you been wearing 100% cotton undies? Many are a blend. If you want to get air flow you could also try to wear a pair of boxer shorts. Are your sheets pure cotton or a blend? Have you ever used Tucks pads, they are basically 4x4 soaked in witch hazel. Put them into the refrigerator (or freezer) they are often used for episiotomies. Very soothing and promotes a clean healing atmosphere.
Looking at all the questions I asked I would like no one ever told me answering a question with a question is not polite. Sorry, just a few thoughts that might be helpful to you or someone else. I spent a few days post op with pillows boxing off my sheets forming a tent.
I can not sleep naked! Irish catholic guilt? I don't know - I worry about the firemen! If my house ever went on fire in the middle of the night the least of my concerns should be not wearing underwear don't ya think?

Happy to hear you have started to feel better. Keep an eye on things and let the doctor know if it persists. Happy healing.

You need to copy and paste your last line into the birthday post for what you like best about hystersisters!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register