When Can I Work Out Again?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When Can I Work Out Again?? When Can I Work Out Again??

Unread 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
When Can I Work Out Again??

I Worked Out Alot Pre-op. Kickboxing, Running, Weight Circuit. I Had An Lahv On 8/6. I Am Not Ready To Work Out Again But I Miss It And Can't Wait To Get The O.k. From Dr. To Start Again. I Am Tired Of Sitting Around Eating All Day. Beginning To Feel Like A Slug. Has Anyone Been Able To Really Start Working Out Again At 6 Weeks? If Not, When? Just Wondering What To Expect.[/font]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhead86
I Worked Out Alot Pre-op. Kickboxing, Running, Weight Circuit. I Had An Lahv On 8/6. I Am Not Ready To Work Out Again But I Miss It And Can't Wait To Get The O.k. From Dr. To Start Again. I Am Tired Of Sitting Around Eating All Day. Beginning To Feel Like A Slug. Has Anyone Been Able To Really Start Working Out Again At 6 Weeks? If Not, When? Just Wondering What To Expect.[/font]
Your dr will tell you best. I just had my 2 week post op and asked the same question. I was told... NO. Only walking for another 4 weeks. No step class, no jogging, no lifting, nothing but walking until 6 weeks post op. I had LSH and TVT done on 8/9
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:08 PM

i was told the same thing as above except till 8 weeks. . . i would ask yoru dr he can let you know on how you heal when its best .. good luck heal up
hugs
lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2007, 06:37 AM

There is info in the 5-6 week checkpoints about exercise. Personally I wouldn't recommend hard core store exercises you were doing before but walking or light hand weights would probably be appropriate. You certaintly don't want to tear any stitches internally by over doing it.
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM

greenhead86, wow, do I know how you feel! I can't wait to go back to the gym--and I'm the same person who would come up with excuses not to go! I'm really starting to not like all this inactivity!!! Unfortunately, once I see the doctor for post-op next week he'll probably just clear me for the walking--and probably not even on the treadmill since that can be very jarring for internal stitches. We'll just all have to be patient, but I'll tell you one thing--I sure have a new-found appreciation for exercise....I'm realizing how much better even the smallest amount can make me feel, both physically and emotionally!
Unread 08-24-2007, 10:33 AM

I walked as much as I felt able in my 6 weeks postop, and that felt good! I got cleared for light exercise after that and just took it at my own pace, starting with 5 situps and going up from there.
Unread 08-24-2007, 12:56 PM

My dr cleared me for any activity I felt like after 6 wks. I was so ready to get back to exercise!!! But I took it easy, and I still do. Even after 3 months, there are still some moves that stretch or twist, and I can still feel the internal stitches. Now I'm back to Pilates and hand weights. Can't give any advice on kickboxing, but anything that you were doing regularly before, you should be able to build back up to.

My recommendation is to walk as much as you feel like until the 6 wk mark, then gradually build back up. It seemed like I was turning into a slug, but your body is really doing a lot of work to heal.
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:35 PM

At 3 weeks my doctor said I could go back to running 2 miles a day - gradually - of course I had no choice but to do it gradually!

Then again, I asked him why when I was in no pain, even though I had an abdominal hysterectomy, he stated look how many surgeries and pain you have gone though over the last 5 years!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register