scary surprise after pre-op: positive HCG test | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scary surprise after pre-op: positive HCG test scary surprise after pre-op: positive HCG test

Unread 07-26-2008, 02:15 PM
scary surprise after pre-op: positive HCG test

I'm scheduled for SAH on Tuesday, July 29. Yesterday I had my pre-op appointment and blood tests at the hospital. I was feeling upbeat and ready for the surgery. But last night I got a call from my doctor saying the blood work included a low-level positive test indicating pregnancy; if there is any possibility I'm pregnant, the surgery will be cancelled.

Now, my partner has a vasectomy, I have severe endometriosis, and because of all the bleeding and pain we hadn't had sex for several weeks until the day before the test. There is just no way I'm pregnant. So the doc says the only explanations would be either that there was a fluke or mistake in the test, or there's a tumor excreting HCG, the hormone that pregnancy tests look for. One of the things that led me to schedule surgery is that there's a mass on my right side where the (previously removed) ovary used to be, and ultrasound can't identify what type of mass it is. So now I'm worried that it's cancer.

I'm going in on Monday for a stat repeat of the test. If it's negative everything will continue according to plan, but if not, I really don't know what I'm in for. It's going to be a looooong weekend.

If anyone else has had an experience like this, I'd love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2008, 02:28 PM

Wow! I 've had no experience with it, but I'm praying that everything will go fine.
Unread 07-26-2008, 07:00 PM

wow that would be scary hun, big hugs and prayers for you !
hugs
lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM

oh my im sending hugs ur way. i hope all goes well for u
Unread 07-26-2008, 07:50 PM

No experience but just adding my good wishes.
Unread 07-26-2008, 07:52 PM

No experience with this either.
I hope the test was misread or a fluke. If it comes back positive, I wonder if an ultrasound would determine what you've got in there.
Unread 07-26-2008, 08:00 PM

Lab results are not always correct. I've experienced results that were totally off the wall. The problem was it was possible they could have been right. I told my doctor I wanted the bloodwork repeated. It was lab error. You have enough on your plate. It will probably turn out as a lab error as well. Good luck with your surgery. Be good to yourself and make sure you get plenty of rest.
Unread 07-26-2008, 09:30 PM

Did they give you the number of the hcg?
Unread 07-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Thanks, all, for the good wishes.

Havehope, the doc didn't tell me the number of the hcg, just said it was low positive. I expect to find out more when I redo the test on Monday. I understand that levels go up rapidly in an actual pregnancy, so the repeat test should be helpful in ruling that out. (Or in indicating that the initial results were a mistake, which is what I'm really hoping for!)

Purplesnow, the last ultrasound I had a few weeks ago was unable to determine the exact nature of the mass on my right side; could be an endometrioma bundled up in scar tissue, a fibroid, or in the worst case some other kind of tumor. The plan was to go in there and take it out to get definite pathology during the surgery, but it's possible that we would do another ultrasound before surgery if this pseudo-pregnancy is still a question.

Thanks again, everybody, the support really helps. I'm feeling a lot calmer today.
Unread 07-27-2008, 10:31 AM

I hope you get the right results tomorrow. And yes you are right if it was a true pg your levels will indicate that tomorrow. Please update when you find out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register