Catheter at HOME? WHAT??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter at HOME? WHAT??? Catheter at HOME? WHAT???

Unread 12-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Catheter at HOME? WHAT???

Um, now I'm scared. Nothing has bothered me a bout upcoming surgery till I read a post about having to have a catheter at home. And a lady at work was telling me she had to wear hers home. WHY WHY WHY????? Is this normal? The idea of that maybe happening really bothers me. Why would you need a catheter after the anesthesia wears off? I know you usually keep it till the next day, but now I'm really freaked out. Can someone please explain to me why Someone would have to wear that thing home? Will be unpatiently waiting for your replys....LOL.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2003, 03:26 PM

I was told I will need to wear my cathedar for 3 weeks after surgery and than have to pass a test that decides if it will be removed or has to stay. They explained to me that the bladder often does not work right with this surgery and my Urethras will be disected out of the surounding Tissue from the kidneys all the way down to the bladder and it will effect your urination and makes a cathedar necessary. I don't like the idea either and wasn't happy about it but hey it does beat the alternatives.
Unread 12-07-2003, 03:26 PM
on concerns

hi ---

I don;t know why this would happen but I would think
it is not the usual procedure based on what I've read in
these forums.

I got myself pretty scared for some time by reading some
of these posts and then had to keep in mind some
the well known adage that when people have a good
experience, they might tell 3 people -- when they have a
bad experience, they will tell 10 ! I think I've seen more
of the positive now that I'm past my surgery but those
unusual things are good to know about.

One thing I did was to keep a running list of stuff I feared --
then when I talked to the doc or nurse, I tried to bring out
my list and ask : How often does that happen? Am I
at risk for this? What causes ________ to happen? Are
there things I can do to minimize risk or avoid this?

Trust me -- I got very anxious simply thinking about trying to
force the bowels to move knowing what a strain that can be
on the stomach! I also fretted about my staples. Fretted about
if the pain meds would be adequate once I got home. Fretting
was my thing!

Best to you and whatever you do, don't fret alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2003, 03:32 PM
It's not so bad

There are many different reasons why someone would have to go home with a catheder. Alot depends on what type of surgery you are having. Many ladies here (myself included) have more than just a hysterectomy done. My surgery was quite extensive (the full meal deal as my surgeon calls it). Bladders don't like to be moved, the more extensive the surgery, the more the bladder protest. I was in the castle for 6 days, and they removed the subpubic catheter just before I left. while in the castle, the cathedar give the bladder a chance to rest and recover. Not every one goes home with a catheter. Ask your doctor if you will need one at home.

Levanah
Unread 12-07-2003, 03:37 PM

Thank you guys for answering me. Just reading the replys make me feel a little better.
Unread 12-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Not as bad as it sounds...

I had a TVH, BSO and A&P repairs on a Thursday morning and went home Saturday afternoon WITH a cathater. I didn't pass the "bladder voiding" test. I went back Monday and it was removed and I had to take the test two times before my DR let me go back home without the bag. It wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as it sounds.

You'll be fine with or without a "tinkle bag".
Unread 12-08-2003, 05:33 AM
midnyte

i'm almost 3 weeks post op. Yes i DID come home with a catheter for a week. BUT that was only because i ended up with a UTI on the morning i was discharged. Going home with a catheter is NOT normal procedure. I work in the hospital that i had my TAH done and we do not send women home with one,unless there is a problem like i had. I had my catheter taken out the same day but had to be put back in the following as i wasn't able to urinate. Yes you'll have to pass the tinkle test and go on your own. I highly doubt that you'll go home with the catheter.
I wish you well on your coming surgery and know everything is going to just fine.
Please take care and know we are all thinking of you
Unread 12-08-2003, 09:13 AM

I was told I had to wear a cath home until the Urodynamics (sp?) test proved that I didn't have to have any type of procedure done to my bladder. We thought I needed a suspension but turns out my problem can be fixed with a little pill. There may be other reasons too. Maybe you could call and ask exactly WHY they're sending you home with a cath.
Unread 12-08-2003, 11:24 AM

I don't know the answer to why they would be sending you home with a catheter.

However, I've been suffering from bouts of chronic urinary retention due to a large fibroid that swells up just before the onset of my period. (my surgery date is not until 1/22, so there will be at LEAST one more)

Anyway, I've become pretty experienced with having to wear foley catheters, and I can say it's not that bad. You won't be able to run a marathon with one in, but with the leg bag, you can certainly get up and walk around comfortably without any trouble, or discomfort.
Unread 12-08-2003, 11:57 AM

I will need to wear a catheter home next week after my procedure. It is NOT routine, but I will need to due to the fact that I am as well having FAR more work done as well as a hysterectomy. I will have to wear the foley cath for a week to two weeks at home and then I have the possibility of needing to self catheterize myself. I really am not concerned with this aspect. If I have to do it to ensure proper healing and ridding myself of the problems I have been through, I'll me MORE than willing to do it. You really ought to ask your doctor all of the nessecary questions. Write them down. I know that I have a tendancy to forget over half of what I'd liketo ask and I find it helpful to myself to have the visual prompts in front of me. I hope this helps ease your mind.
Rachel

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register