TAH and BSO Feb 8th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH and BSO Feb 8th TAH and BSO Feb 8th

Unread 01-23-2007, 09:59 AM
TAH and BSO Feb 8th

Hi everyone.

My surgery is Feb. 8th. I am nervous. Actually terrified. And sad. And wondering if it is the right decision. Will I choke?

I had breast cancer 3 years ago. So I can't take any hormone replacement. I have been on tamoxifen for 2 years now. I have been classified by blood tests as "post-menopausal" due to chemo and tamoxifen. I am 43 and was pre-menopausal at breast cancer dx. My periods stopped during chemo.
Today, I got a "period". Or is it more bleeding? This is what prompted the surgery. Excessive bleeding out of the blue every now and then. Since I started tamoxifen, I have had 4 D&C's and biopsies. My uterine lining was always benign, but hyperplasia and ovarian cysts.
I had more bleeding at Christmas this year, so the uterus is coming out. Its been since April 2006 since I had problems. My oncologist wants to made sure my ovaries are completely shut down either with drugs or surgery to switch me to another hormone therapy... Arimidex. So the ovaries come out too.
Questions I have though. Is my "bleeding" my period trying to come back? Am I making a mistake? Should I keep the ovaries???

I guess I am scared of menopause and no relief from symptoms since I can't take anything. And I just started a fitness regime in mid-December where I lift weights and cardio. Can I still do this after the surgery? My gynecologist said he will "tighten" my vagina up since it is very "loose"... (I have had 3 10 lb babies! ). He asked me if I leak urine or anything. So will this complicate the surgery? So many questions. I am so unsure. And scared.
And the bummer is I finally have energy since the breast cancer nightmare began.... when will my energy return after this is over??

Just had to vent again.....

Thanks
Wendy A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2007, 10:18 AM
RE: TAH and BSO Feb 8th

The "tighten" thing sort of scares me.... Is it causing you problems? Just my opinion....

I am in the process of recovering from a TAH including the ovaries. It is pretty intense. You won't really be able to do anything until after 6 weeks. I ride a motorcycle, lift weights and also do cardio. I am walking into my 4th week and have no plans to really do anything until after I speak with the doctor.

As for the hormones; I cannot speak for others, but I have been going through menopause for a few years. My FSH was at 90 (meaning that I should be almost there). Anyway, the biggest issue that I have had to deal with is night sweats. Pretty wicked, but found that if I got a mild sleep aid, I have been able to sleep through them. The mood swings I have managed by simply being aware of them. I use biofeedback (nothing out there - just saying to myself - what I am feeling is a manifestation of my hormones and is not real.) as well as my bike for stress control. PLEASE - I am not advocating taking up motorcycle riding. It was just my release.

I guess what I am trying to say is that so far, it has been not that bad. Just be aware of it. You can manage the things you are knowlegable about. In addition, since you are showing up as "post menopausal", there is a high probablility that you have been through the worst of it already

Also be aware that you are not alone - this is a great group of ladies to get info from
Unread 01-23-2007, 11:22 AM
TAH and BSO Feb 8th

I was 45 at the time of my breast cancer diagnosis and pre-menopausal. Treatments threw me into menopause. Had D&C's and biopsies just like you because of breakthrough bleading, dr suspicious of endo cancer. Can never take HRT. Had hyst in November, everything removed because tamoxifex was causing havoc with my reproductive organs. No problems at all, No hot flashes, night sweats, weight gain, energy is good for my health level ( I was diagnosed post breast cancer with brain tumor, iliac crest tumor and myelodysplastic syndrome) I exercise regularly. I actually feel much better now than I did pre- hyst. The hyst was a piece of cake, much easier than the mastectomy and cancer treatments, you should fly right through it. Good luck. Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
TAH and BSO Feb 8th

I was 40 last year when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Tamoxifen scared me and so my onc said to do the Zolidex injections once a month or a lavh hyst and bso. I am 4 weeks out from surgery and the hot flashes and night sweats are worse now than when I was on the Zolidex inj. I take Effexor and it has helped some.As far as energy goes I am almost where I was before surgery. I work out half to one hour a day. I dont regret having surgey at all. I figure if I dont have the parts there I cant get cancer in them. Also since I am now in menopause I can take Femara instead of Tamoxifen.
Just follow your heart, you know whats best for you.
Jackie
Unread 01-24-2007, 08:14 AM
TAH and BSO Feb 8th

Thank-you everyone for your kind words and sharing your experience.

Yesterday, I started "bleeding" again and this time I have quite a bit of pelvic and back pain along with it. It is getting in the way of my schedule! LOL.
So I think its reminding me that my surgery decision is the right one and is for the best.
Hearing about your stories has helped alot. It takes away some of the fear.

Wendy A
Unread 01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
TAH and BSO Feb 8th

One more thing. In hindsight, see if the doctor will give you something you can take before you go into surgery to calm your nerves. Being a little out of it may help from racheting up the nerves!
Unread 01-24-2007, 03:39 PM
TAH and BSO Feb 8th

Wendy,

I couldn't wait for my hyst. However, I had 6 prior female surgeries before the hyst. I was more than ready. I was nervous; however, I have never regret having the surgery. To not deal with "bleeding to death" and periods 30 days straight plus pain is a real blessing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register