Did you get a second opinion? - Page 105 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 11-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

Even though my doc and I were pretty sure about the hyster, I did get a second opinion... who agreed it would be a good idea. Surgery is scheduled for 11/30. Pre-op appt is 11/23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Smile - Did you get a second opinion? Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I not only got a second I got a third and a fourth. It was the third Dr I saw who sent me to the fourth. It was the best decision ever. The Third Dr knew his stuff and instead of making the buck himself he felt obligated to make sure I got the best Dr for the Job. He felt Da vinci was the way to go and got me in to see the top guy in my area.
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:24 AM

I didn't have time to get a 2nd opinion, but even if I had the time I would have not gotten a 2nd opinion. I had been going to doctors for years and was told for years that the pain I felt was in my head and I was just too stressed out. People in their 20's don't have the issues I described.

My mom went through similar female issues and she finally found a doctor that treated her and she ended up having a TVH she was already post menopausal. I went to her doctor and 2 years ago we did ablation, and it helped for a while, and the pain I had felt before the ablation came back with a vengeance and we scheduled my surgery for 12/28/11. I ended up with an emergency TAH on 11/2/11. I trusted my my doctor and felt no need to doubt him. He treated my mom and he was the only doctor that would listen to me and believe it was NOT just in my head. It took me 10 years to find him, I know he would have never suggested it to a 34 year old unless totally necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Did you get a second opinion?

regretfully, no...and I am now a barren 31yo...wondering if it were absolutely necessary or a money making scheme. I trusted my dr, as I also saw him as a friend. I had a uterine suspension in 07, and mild reprolapse...resuspension may have worked? I am not sure....Since I have been having complications, however, he isnt as understanding as I would have thought. I do not rec it w/out a second or third opinion :'(
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Yes, I got three different assessments from doctors in my OB/GYn practice and a second opinion from my PCP.
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Three years ago I was told I should get a hysterectomy from a general surgeon that I have known since he did my c section 30 years ago. So when a GYN told me it was now time I trusted him. 3 years ago it was just for Fibroids. Now it was for a pre- cancerous condition.
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Yes, I got a second opinion. I agree with others to never let a doctor pressure you into their decision at the time unless it's an emergency. Getting a second or even a third opinion is a good idea. It will give you peace of mind and knowing you made the right decision of what to do. In my situation, the opinions varied greatly. I'm so glad I got that second one. Everything fell into place after that.
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Talked to 3 doctors
Unread 12-11-2011, 02:51 PM

I chose not to get a second opinion because having a hysterectomy was my decision. I had Endometriosis as well as extremely heavy flow along with other complications. I had surgical procedures that only helped for a short time, I tried birth control pills and they made everything worse. I did research for a very long time and decided a hysterectomy was the best for me. I talked to my TRUSTED Gynecologist, who discussed treatment options with me as well as risks of a hysterectomy. I had a terrible 3 week period, my last one before surgery and it finalized my choice. I had hot flashes, night sweats and many other hormonal symptoms since puberty, but no one took me seriously until I went for a tubal when I was 27 and my Dr. found the Endometriosis and treated it then. *But, as we all know, Endometriosis comes back and in just 3 years it had spread to my colon and other areas. It has only been 12 days since my TAH and Oophorectomy , but all the back and leg pain, as well as other terrible problems are gone and I feel so much better. I woke up in recovery and my first thought was, "I had PMS worse than this feels." I continue to feel that way. My PMS was so much worse than recovery from this surgery has been. I realize women are all different, but I really feel that I made the best decision for my quality of life.
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:59 AM

i've suffered endo since age 12. no doctor would do anything fo me. i kept hearing, "you're young, it will go away" at 26, i found a new family doctor that listened to me! i just wanted to be a healthy mom for my only child. (2 yrs old at the time) i dont regret feeling no more pain and bleedingg for weeks on end!! keep up the positive attitude sisters!!

between my family doctor and my husband, we made the decision to have the LVH. no more PADS!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register