Allowed to take time off? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Allowed to take time off? Allowed to take time off?

Unread 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Allowed to take time off?

Hi everyone,

I had to meet with my HR department today to tell them how much time I am taking off. I told them I "think" i am allowed 6 weeks but want to come back before that.

Just curious, how much time are we "allowed" to take for a hysterectomy? Does it depend on the type you have?

Also, another note....one of my fellow teachers told me in the lounge that her friend (who is a gynecologist) had a vaginal hyst and was back to work in 3 days. So, I feel a little whimpy for planning to be out 4-5 weeks! Yikes!

Thanks for listening~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM

I work in the cafeteria at our local school, and I am having a TAH on 12/5. I am taking the full 6 weeks. I don't consider myself whimpy...we do a lot of lifting and my dr. says she will not release me until then because you need the time to heal on the inside...from what I have read on here I am not going to try and rush back..our health is so important and I only want to have to recover once...not more due to going back to work to soon. Good luck on your surgery and your recovery.
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM

3 DAYS? Is she sure she had a hysterectomy? That does not sound right. I was in the castle for 2 days. That seems almost impossible to me. I'm in week 5 post op, planned 6 weeks off, and am not sure how I'm going to go back to work next week. Thinking about taking another week or two. It's not the pain so much as the fatigue. And if you overdo it - do too much too early - you will pay for it! I did and trust me, it was not worth it! I hardly left my house until week 3 and then was only able to be out and about for a few hours at a time at most.

Plan on 6-8 weeks - definitely, that's not wimpy, it's smart!

Good luck --
Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM

FMLA will guarantee your position for 12 weeks. Depending on your surgery, your doctor will tell you what's a reasonable return to work date. I had a TAH/BSO with quite a few complications and I was given 8 weeks. I am in my 7th week and wondering how I am going to be able to work next week - the fatigue and pain still exist.

Take care of yourself and don't try to do too much!
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM

According to Family Medical Leave Act employers with 50 or more are required to allow employees 12 weeks per year medical leave. Of course this has to be documented necessary by your physician. Public, private elementary and secondary schools are required without regard to the number of employees. Just do a search on FMLA and you will get the regulations and information. Don't let them mess with you!
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paininthe
3 DAYS? Is she sure she had a hysterectomy? That does not sound right. I was in the castle for 2 days. That seems almost impossible to me. I'm in week 5 post op, planned 6 weeks off, and am not sure how I'm going to go back to work next week. Thinking about taking another week or two. It's not the pain so much as the fatigue. And if you overdo it - do too much too early - you will pay for it! I did and trust me, it was not worth it! I hardly left my house until week 3 and then was only able to be out and about for a few hours at a time at most.

Plan on 6-8 weeks - definitely, that's not wimpy, it's smart!

Good luck --
Christine

WOW!!! My gyno says 2-3 weeks max...hmmmmm
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:01 PM

They aren't messing with me at all....they told me they wanted me to try to take the full 6 even if I feel better. I am just wondering how much time we are allowed to take for a hyst. what is covered under disablity? THE FMLA is not paid.....
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM

I have been advised to take 6-8 weeks for a TAH...My HR depaertment allows up to 4 weeks for a TVH..It all depends on much lifting and pulling your job requires. I am taking 6 weeks because I want to be 100% when I go back to work...
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherangel
They aren't messing with me at all....they told me they wanted me to try to take the full 6 even if I feel better. I am just wondering how much time we are allowed to take for a hyst. what is covered under disablity? THE FMLA is not paid.....
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.

It may be helpful for you to read this Hyster Sisters article on the FMLA of 1993 . I don't think the Act says that you can't receive disability payments during your leave.

The Act only speaks to the right of employees (in certain circumstances) to be entitled to take up to 12 weeks of leave each calendar year. It does not speak to whether or not the time is paid.

The article linked above also includes a link directly the actual Act itself.

Your HR department may or may not be well versed in this -- or you may be the person who helps educate them.

There isn't any standard for any particular kind of leave for surgery at all. Some patients require only a couple of weeks -- some patients require a few months off after surgery. The time you'll be off work is between you and your doctor. Your employer will likely not allow you to return to duty until you have written clearance from your doctor, no matter how long that is.

Hope this helps.
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM

I think I see what you are saying......

I have disablity insurance and it pays for me whatever amount my doc says I need. I just wanted to know the average, I guess.

My district pays 60% and disablity pays 25% on top of that and it isn't taxed, so you end up making a little more than you would working. I don;t want to overuse it, I just am curious how long it will take to recover!

Thanks! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register