My DH lost his job today! COBRA questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My DH lost his job today! COBRA questions My DH lost his job today! COBRA questions

Unread 03-31-2009, 11:07 AM
My DH lost his job today! COBRA questions

My husband called me an hour ago. His job was eliminated today. He carries our insurance - now what do I do???
I've waited to have hyster until I was "ready" and because we've built a house, moved . . . just haven't had time options. Now I'm finally in the process of scheduling TAH. Dr says my endo is very extensive, and I'm in near constant pain.

My DH wants me to call my gyn and tell him I can't schedule surgery now. He's not sure how COBRA works, and isn't sure if we'll be able to afford even our out of pocket portion and the premiums without his job. I've been too scared to do the surgery before now, and now I'm terrified that I WON'T have the surgery.

Does anyone know how COBRA works? What if I don't have surgery now and we go on insurance that excludes pre-existing conditions? I have been living with endo for so long, and now I just can't stand the thought of doing it any longer!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Re: My DH lost his job today!

Oh no!

My husband lost his job 10 months ago--and 13 months before that. I know how hard that is on so many levels.

A first step might be to find out a bit more about COBRA--what is covered, at what levels, and at what cost? If you could manage to pay for even one more month of insurance, that might give you some options.

Once you know your options, you could contact your doctor. Explain the situation, and see if there's any way you could move the surgery up to say, a week or two from now. The insurance person there might have an idea how to arrange things so you are covered for post-op visits as well.

Meanwhile, take deep breaths, give your husband lots of , and have a if you need to. And come back here as much as you need to

Unread 03-31-2009, 02:59 PM

You'll have to go on COBRA. Or find a short term plan because of the pre-existing condition. I'm in that same boat right now.

Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM

You can visit cobrainsurance.com to find answers to your specific situation. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-31-2009, 04:01 PM

From my experience when I lost my job a few years back, I had the same coverage with cobra for 30 days after the job loss and so I got everything I could done. I would move quickly and call your doctor right away and explain the situation, hopefully they can schedule your surgery within that 30 day period (if that's how yours works). I'd call your husbands insurance company or even talk to his employer today and find out the quicker you find out the quicker you can get it done if you need to.
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks everyone!! My husband did call the HR person to ask about COBRA, but hasn't heard back. I was at my GP today about an ear issue, and he also said, get the surgery ASAP. I REALLY hope that works out.
cmtsp - Thanks for the website. I'll check that out.
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:56 PM

My dh is on ltd and they made us pay cobra for the first year he was off (until they realized this and just made us pay the regular amount) Our cobra was around $700 dollars a month for both of us but it was exactly the same insurance as we had before...did your dh get anything when he lost his job? Vacation time...PTO....anything? Good Luck!
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Re: My DH lost his job today! COBRA questions

When my DH lost his job a couple of years ago we went on Cobra. It was the exact same insurance we had been having but we had to pay the whole premium. I'd do my best to try to do that too, to avoid any pre-existing conditions possibilities. Maybe your GP can give you some help with getting things moving quickly?

Best wishes.

Unread 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM

I found out the first 30 days are at the same cost as employee cost. Then Obama's stimulus package includes a 65% federal subsidy for cobra premiums for 9 months!!! The out of pocket max will still be tough to swing, but I hadn't heard about the federal subsidy. HUGE praise!!
I called my surgeon, and he said he can do my TAH next Friday, April 10!!!
Yeah! and Yikes!
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:50 PM

That is quick!
Best wishes, I hope that everything goes well for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register