Sleeping in same bed with spouse post-op - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleeping in same bed with spouse post-op Sleeping in same bed with spouse post-op

Unread 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Sleeping in same bed with spouse post-op

I have been on the sofa since I came home from the hospital (10 days now). We have a king size bed that's pretty high, and I had trouble getting in and out of the bed. Now I'm having insomnia issues, and I don't want to keep DH awake, since he has to be up early for work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Hi! New here - but getting around on some of the topics.

I am concerned about this as well. My surgery date is this coming Monday.
We have a small house, with the girls still home and now guest room.
My bedroom is not only on the second floor, but we have a queen size extra depth mattress, so I have two little steps to get up and on to my bed!

Now, it might make more sense for me to sleep on the sofa in the living room, I could even pull out the sleeper on it - but, and this is big for us, DH is partially deaf - I always get him up for work at 5:20 because he can not hear the alarm. So.....do I stay upstairs where once I'm there, I'm there! lol, or do I sleep downstairs and chance the stairs at 5:20AM!?

DH has taken the week of my surgery off, but once I'm home, he's going back to work.
Unread 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM

After sleeping in the same bed for 28 years I would be very lonely without my spouse in bed with me. I had a c-section with our oldest son, slept together then so plan to do the same after surgery Friday. It is up to you, get the extra room ready but see how you feel when you get home. Is he concerned about sleeping together? Ask him what he thinks and make the decision together. Best of luck with your surgery.
Unread 07-08-2008, 05:21 PM

My dh slept with me. We are in a ranch style house, 1 story. I felt better having him near. He was also able to assist me, so I didn't always have to get up for things.

He was there for the emotional support, back rubs, goodnight cuddles (gently) and everything else. I love having him there.

He also said not being there would keep him awake. He would be worrying about me. So being with him, even though I wake up frequently, he slept better with me there.
Unread 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM

I'm having my surgery on the 15th and I told my hubby that I would sleep in the twin bed in our spare room so I didn't bother him since he has to get up so early in the morning. He said if I'm sleeping in the spare room, so is he, even if it means he sleeps on the floor. He wants to be right there in case I need him. I told him I don't want him on the floor so maybe I'll sleep on the couch and he can move the spare bed or mattress into the living room. We'll have to see what works best.
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Sleeping in same bed with spouse

Cheers all! You bet I slept in my regular bed with my spouse, starting from my first night home and I haven't missed a night since. Of course, we have a king size mattress so that helps on the space front, but I can't say I had any trouble at all following a TAH/BSO (3/25/08) with a whopper of a vertical incision (to get out that pesky six pound tumor). I just took my time getting in the bed and propped up with two pillows under the head/neck, one on each side of me and one under the knees.

Hubby was attentive and woke whenever I nudged him to help with the in and out for a few days, but I really didn't have any trouble. Very blessed I suppose, but a testament that it can be done.

Now, just over three months post op, here I am up at 11:25 PM on a work night clicking away on the computer because I cannot sleep. Just a wee bit of insomnia every few nights with very mild hot flushes. But, I will be in that bed tonight eventually!

Best wishes to all the sisters!
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:02 AM

I was not able to sleep in our bed the first several nights after coming home from the hospital. Just not able to get comfortable no matter how many pillows. DH had gotten me a soft warm fuzzy blanket prior to surgery and I set up with it and many pillows of various sizes on our living room couch. Was able to get comfy on the couch more easily than the bed. Plus allowing DH to sleep--I was up in the night the 1st few nights. Gradually went back to the bed as soon as I was able to get comfy there, after several nights on the couch. Best of luck!
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:25 AM

Never thought about this before. Guess it will depend once had the op on July 24 but now think he would feel alienated if he slept in the guest room. all the best for your op.
Unread 07-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelledWillow
I forgot to mention (I'm so used to it) my DH works shift work so he is getting up at 3:00 am, then tries to get some rest during the day while our DS is at school and then is in bed to sleep again by at least 9:00 pm. So for most of the night he wouldn't be there anyway.

Other sisters whose DHs work normal hours and don't need to sleep during the day might well be OK in the same bed. It just didn't work for us.

I have knee problems and used my crutches for the first few weeks and that really helped me getting around and even getting out of bed.
My husband sleeps in the spare bedroom for now. It's helped a lot. He works early hrs too, and his alarm goes off at 4:30 am. He takes naps when he gets home because of his irregular work schedule.
Jan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register