What kind of pain medication did you have? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What kind of pain medication did you have? What kind of pain medication did you have?

Unread 01-22-2002, 06:47 AM
What kind of pain medication did you have?

I'm worried about what they'll give me. I found out I was allergic to Valium right in the middle of my IVF! (not good!) SO, I'm worried they will give me something I'm allergic to. DEMEROL works really good for me...do they use this as an IV pain med? I'd rather have that than anything else I can think of.

Please tell me what they gave you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 06:51 AM

I've heard many women say that they have had demerol for pain after a hyst. Many have a morphine pump. But they do a demerol pump too. Make sure you talk to your doctor about your concerns and have them know what works best for you, as everyone is different. Wishing you the best.
Unread 01-22-2002, 07:33 AM

Hi Kathy!

I had my TAH nov 6th and all went well. At first I was on a morphine pump (which I requested ahead of time...did NOT want any needles in my hip!!!). After the second day, the pump (my best friend..lol) was taken from me and pain meds were replaced by percocet pills. They worked very well for me. They were also given as a prescription for when I went home.

Some women do better on one pain med than another. Be sure to discuss all the options with your doc beforehand. Demerol can be used in IV pumps instead of morphine.

Best of luck to you Kathy!!!!

's

Windy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2002, 07:37 AM
Pain meds

I had the morphine pump for 2 surgeries (bladder suspension in August and TAH in December). The first time the Doctor left me on it till the day he released me, and I felt like crap, itching, headaches, couldn't get out of bed. (I didn't get up until it was time to go home.) The second time he took me off morphine the next morning, and within a few hours I was up, using the restroom, and took a little walk down the hall. Whatever you use, don't stay on too long. That seems to be the key no matter which drug it is.

Bon Chance!
Jacquelyn
TAH/kept ovaries/no cervix
Unread 01-22-2002, 11:29 AM

I had the demerol pump because I dont like the way morphine makes me feel from a previous surgery.
Remember that with the pump, they are measured, small doses. Mine was for every 7 minutes. You can push the button to your hearts content but it only allows what it allows. I had mine until the next morning as well and the nurse said I didnt use even half of what I was allowed in the reserve. If you get too far behind in your pain control it's harder to get back so dont try to be a hero and use it as you need it.
The first night the nurse gave me a naprosyn suppository (anti-inflammitory) which helped immensley, in addition to the demerol.
I was able to take it by mouth once I was taking in more than ice chips (naprosyn)
I was on tyl#2 once the demerol pump was d/c but I found they didnt help me much, and once I got home I switched right to the toradol I had left over from having those (past tense yipee) horrible periods.
Good Luck! Remember most narcotics make you feel itchy too!!
Unread 01-22-2002, 01:56 PM
an alternative suggestion

For my surgery I had an epidural inserted and had a general for the actual op. The epidural was for after op pain. It stayed in for 2 day post. By the time the epidural came out the pain was totally manageable with paracetamol.

Discuss all your alternatives with your anaesthestist. I believe that is why I have had such a good recovery. I was able to get through those first 2 days with no pain.

Regards and best wishes for your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register