Made the decision - how long off work? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Made the decision - how long off work? Made the decision - how long off work?

Unread 01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Re: Made the decision - how long off work?

I am a teacher of adult students, so I can sit 30% of the time if need be.

I went back to work within 3 1/2 weeks.

I wish I had stayed home for 4 1/2 weeks.....
I certainly understand staying home for 6 weeks or longer, depending on the surgery.

My job is not that physical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcarin73 View Post
I am wondering about this exact issue myself.

I am fortunate that I will have Disability Leave while I am out, so I don't need to "rush". But I HATE being bored, so my natural tendency is to get back to normal too soon.

My thought process (for now) is this: Once you go back, people will expect you to BE BACK. You can't work a week and then say, "Whoops. I need more of a break." At least I can't. I'd rather take an extra week that maybe I don't need, then to go back too soon and regret it.

Oh, and I'm scared. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
That is exactly what i have been saying that other people don't understand. Once i go back, people who don't know or forget that i had surgery will not see anything wrong with me and will expect me to BE BACK. Also, because i teach, working 1/2 day or leaving when i start hurting is not feasible.
And i have stressed over this for days now because I am scared!! I am so relieved to know that others feel the same way. I am also sure that i will get involved in what ever is going on and when i am feeling okay i will overdo things without realizing it.
None of my friends understand why i would be scared. and i couldn't properly verbalize why.
Unread 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM

Pitcarin73- U are sooo right... Once you return to work coworkers look at it like you are fully cabable of doing your job... They do not have sympathy bc they feel like if you were not able to work you should have stayed home...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Made the decision - how long off work?

Going through same thing. I work with 7, soon to be 8, preschool special needs kids, as an assistant but have as much responsibility as the teacher and I also do inclusion in 3 other classes. Its a Very demanding job, physically And mentally. And coming back from the long break is very hard on my students with autism. I'm not going back this week, surgery was dec 16, and going to dic Wednesday for check up. Trying to decide to go back the 9th or try to wait till 11th and do 3 half days before the3 day MLK weekend(500 mile trip to in laws since we couldn't go at Christmas ). I know I need to heal but I bored at home snd feeling a little useless. My teacher hasn't said much about when I come back but it's my choice and my body. Just wish I knew what to do, because I have to let office know to get me subs, and gotta get lesson plans ready for the next couple weeks
  Quote:
Originally Posted by stefwiss View Post
That is exactly what i have been saying that other people don't understand. Once i go back, people who don't know or forget that i had surgery will not see anything wrong with me and will expect me to BE BACK. Also, because i teach, working 1/2 day or leaving when i start hurting is not feasible.
And i have stressed over this for days now because I am scared!! I am so relieved to know that others feel the same way. I am also sure that i will get involved in what ever is going on and when i am feeling okay i will overdo things without realizing it.
None of my friends understand why i would be scared. and i couldn't properly verbalize why.
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:42 AM

insomnia is a common problem for many sisters as well and is another issue that people can't see but can effect performance. I fell asleep last night a little faster than normal but it was 12:30 am. Woke up 4:30. Now i am going to work on 4 hours sleep. Not a good thing. I am so glad i decided i was leaving by 1 today because i know i will be crashing by midday. Also glad that all we have are meetings and no kids today.
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaC View Post
Going through same thing. I work with 7, soon to be 8, preschool special needs kids, as an assistant but have as much responsibility as the teacher and I also do inclusion in 3 other classes. Its a Very demanding job, physically And mentally. And coming back from the long break is very hard on my students with autism. I'm not going back this week, surgery was dec 16, and going to dic Wednesday for check up. Trying to decide to go back the 9th or try to wait till 11th and do 3 half days before the3 day MLK weekend(500 mile trip to in laws since we couldn't go at Christmas ). I know I need to heal but I bored at home snd feeling a little useless. My teacher hasn't said much about when I come back but it's my choice and my body. Just wish I knew what to do, because I have to let office know to get me subs, and gotta get lesson plans ready for the next couple weeks
I am fortunate to work in a classroom attached to my home.No drive to work I had family move a recliner to the class for me.I use it(not reclined because I can't close it with my legs) for circle time ,quiet time ,story and music and movement also.Generally I sit on the floor or do the movement activities along with the children.
My biggest challenge so far has been getting rest cots out and down and then picked up again.I have been having children help and some cots are left in place if they are not hindering anything .

So I am being very cautious and feel like I am healing well.Bowel action is uncomfortable (peristalsis and gas) as are bowel movements.Still eating senna and colace.Would love more leafy green but can't get to the store as often as I would if I was driving yet!

If you have the time, take it, I would have and hope I have not erred by going back too soon . My situation is unique.

What I am planning is a mental health day as soon as my body can manage driving,shopping,out to lunch and a cocktail/beer with my husband in the PM.I can't wait....My vacation in October was spoiled by a suprise period from hell and everything snowballed to a surgical climax in December.
So happy that is behind me 4 ever.
Good luck to you both.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM

So i went to work today for a half day and went home exhausted and hurting. i am planning to attempt tomorrow since it is the first day for the kids and then i am taking thurs and fri as i am really NOT ready to be back. tomorrow is going to be really tough. Listen to your body any be kind to you!
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:47 AM

Hey Ginny67--I know how helpful these responses can be so I'll throw in my 2 cents even though its similar to what some of our other sisters said. My LAVH isn't until Jan 9th but at my pre-op yesterday my doctor said he wouldn't send me back to work before 3-4 weeks of healing time. He said at my 1 week post op appointment we could decide if I needed even more time than that.

Like others said- it really depends on the type of surgery, the person and what type of job you have. Most importantly-don't put any extra pressure on yourself to heal quickly--this is major surgery and we shuold take all the time we need! Good luck!
Unread 01-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Hi Ginny67: I took 4 weeks with my LAVH and still could not work a full day when I tried to return. I have a desk job and sitting hurt pretty bad especially for 8 hours. I just recently had an ovary removed and a bladder lift and only scheduled 2 weeks, but was able to arrange a third week because of the fatigue, fuzzy thinking (although I was off pain meds after the first week) and general blah feeling. So good luck with the time you plan to take, but adjust that if you find its too soon. Best of luck to you
Unread 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM

It depends on what you do? and how you are having your surg. done. I am a part time pre school para, a full time student, and I have two kids under the age of two. I am having the de vinci hysterectomy and my doctor says Ill need between one week and 3 depending on how I feel. She said most go back in a week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register