Upcoming hysterectomy 4/15: how long after surgery do you bleed for? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 4/15: how long after surgery do you bleed for? Upcoming hysterectomy 4/15: how long after surgery do you bleed for?

Unread 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/15: how long after surgery do you bleed for?

Hello. I'm having my uterus and cervix removed vaginally. The reason is I've been bleeding heavily every day for 5 months. Anyways how long after surgery do you bleed for? I'm so ready to be done. My surgery is on the 14th of May. Haven't had my pre op yet so I haven't asked my doctor. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Re: Bleeding question

It varies from person to person. I had a TAH with left tube and cervix removed and only had light discharge for few days.
Unread 04-26-2015, 08:09 PM

I only had spotting between week 2 and 3 of my recovery. The colour was brown and a panty liner was enough. Honestly I had to remind myself there would be no more gushes, floods, clots of blood and ridiculous size pads. As my surgery neared I was relieved that I did not get one last period! You only have a few more weeks hang in there. Good luck on your journey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2015, 08:32 PM

It varies...
For me, i bled a bit in the hospital then nothing then had a gush of brown discharge at 5 weeks post op and then that was it.
But you can have some healing discharge in the first three weeks but it shouldn't be too much and then weeks 3-6 you can have a bit of discharge as the internal stitches dissolve.
Hope this answers your question
Take care
Unread 04-26-2015, 08:42 PM

I bled and/or had discharge of various colors off and on for 6 weeks. I never needed more than a panty liner, and over 75% of the time, I didn't even need that. I would just find a drop or two on the TP when I wiped. I really does vary for all of us.
Unread 04-26-2015, 10:39 PM

Thanks for all the responses!
Unread 04-26-2015, 10:49 PM

I can sympathize. I have been bleeding heavily since January 14th. I have complex hyperplasia without atypia. In 2012 I was also bleeding heavily. I ended up in ER twice, very anemic. I am afraid to leave my house because I get dizzy. I work full time and stay home now to work. It is ruining my life and my independence. My husband travels. I am afraid to stay alone because I bleed so much. I take three progesterone daily to bleed less. My procedure is on May 7th, robotic. I have never had gen anesthesia and been intubated. I am living a nightmare, but know I must go through.
Unread 04-27-2015, 05:45 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 4/15: how long after surgery do you bleed for?

I had abdominal surgery and was in the hospital for three days afterwards. I think I might have bled a bit? Honestly, I wasn't paying a lot of attention. I don't remember bleeding once I got home, but I did pass some stitches over the next couple of weeks.
Unread 04-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Wow, I thought I had it bad when I bled for 5 weeks straight- 5 months is a long time! I haven't had any bleeding or spotting yet but I'm only in week 1 of recovery- but it's amazing to me! The least I've bled in years! Even on my good (rare) non-bleeding days pre-surgery I had at least a little spotting or heavy clearish yellow discharge- now just clear, light and healthy.

Westiedog don't worry- I was nervous about general anesthesia and being incubated too but it's really not bad. General anesthesia is like a time warp- one minute your relaxed and just starting to drift off, the next you're waking up in recovery. Intubation was fine too- I just asked for some ice chips once I was concious enough to have them because my throat was a little dry feeling, but not bad at all.

I hope you ladies are taking iron pills in the meantime, you will have permanent relief very soon!
Unread 04-27-2015, 06:04 AM

I had the DaVinici last July and I think I only bled for three days after the surgery, only went I went to the bathroom. After that I was fine. Like they said it varies from person to person.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register