Brownish-watery discharge @ 3-4 months Post-Op + passed stitch @ 4 mo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brownish-watery discharge @ 3-4 months Post-Op + passed stitch @ 4 mo Brownish-watery discharge @ 3-4 months Post-Op + passed stitch @ 4 mo

Unread 08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
Brownish-watery discharge @ 3-4 months Post-Op + passed stitch @ 4 mo

Is this normal and any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Still haven't learned all the abbreviations and terms, but had complete/total hyster...uterus, cervix, ovaries as well as the Monarc bladder sling.

After nearly 3 months of HRT I sort of gave up because I had become estrogen dominant. Had continued the Vagifem (only) for another two weeks and suddenly at 3 months post-op I noticed a brown discharge. Saw my gyno the next day. Did a urine dip test and no infection. He was basically unconcerned and said it "could" be hormonal as the vaginal cuff looked fine thus nowhere the old blood could be coming from. He even said that I might have a yeast infection and try diflucan.

WELL, I really don't think I have a yeast infection and I didn't have enough wits about me at the time to argue the point that the brownish discharge was coming from "somewhere". Besides, I've never had a yeast infection that was brown!

I stopped the Vagifem and took the diflucan for good measure but I still have a watery-brown discharge that continues. It also has a slight odor. Hard to describe the odor but it does smell a bit like urine. At the Castle, I initially was peeing blue because the nurse said that my bladder had been dyed to detect any tears or leaks. At my first Post-Op visit, my gyno said that there are no leaks/tears to worry about there.

OH, I just recently passed a stitch from my bladder sling surgery (apparently) a few days ago because I remember the gyno telling me that the vaginal cuff stitches were purple and the bladder stitches are white. I began passing bladder stitches at 2 weeks PO and none since.

SO, is all of this normal? WHERE could the brownish discharge be coming from? Is it also normal to pass a stitch at 4 months? PLease help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
I have the same problem, 2 wk post op

U were talking about a brownish discharge, that has an odder.... that is the problem i am having and too embarresed to call doc. I had a partial hysterectomy, they left my overies but i also had the blatter suspension. Do u feel life u are leaking more than u did before, i do. And as far as the brownish dishcharge i am changing panyliners everytime i use the restroom. If anyone gives u an answere to ur question please let me know, but in mean time i will keep checking back with you. Good Luck.
Unread 08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Brownish-watery discharge @ 3-4 months Post-Op + passed stitch @ 4 mo

Hi TLynn,

I had brownish discharge for months off and on after my surgery. I learned that blood can collect in your abdomen and it eventually works its way out. If you aren't having pain and there isn't a foul odor to it then I wouldn't worry too much.

Another thing you might want to consider is finding another doctor. As many women on this site have discovered, your surgeon may not be very good at follow up care. I am 3 years post op and I am being treated by a different doctor now.

You mentioned going off of your hormone due to estrogen dominance. Well, don't expect that to last. It can can up to 6 months or longer for your body to adjust to its sudden menopausal state. You may find that you'll need those hormones later on. So stay on guard to your symptoms (hot flashes, weight gain, low lebido, etc.) Keeping your hormones balanced is key to feeling good.

As far as passing a stitch I would imagine that is completely normal. I've heard of women having late in life surgery for bladder problems and the stitches didn't hold at all and out they came.

I know it's scary, all of this stuff. You wonder if you have made a big mistake in having the surgery. Realize that what you had done was major surgery. And your body can take a full year to fully recover from any major surgical procedure. So don't be worried. Just stay on top of your symptoms and make sure you aren't feverish, in pain, or having those odor problems. If you have any of those, then I would get to a doctor immediately.

Blessings to you!
Lorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register