How much info did u get after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much info did u get after surgery? How much info did u get after surgery?

Unread 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM
How much info did u get after surgery?

My after surgery instructions were, Don't push, pull or lift anything. NO sex for 8 weeks. Try not to take too much pain medicine because it will cause constipation. That's it. My nurse said to walk up straight holding my belly. I was never told what to watch for. What is and is not normal.

What in the world would I have done without this site? I know I would have searched and got bad information from the net. I know my anxiety would be on a horrible level.. not to mention how bored and lonely I'd be. I'd be lost without you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Re: How much info did u get after surgery?

Not much either...she said recovery would be about 6 weeks, and that the first 4 days I was not do for myself. After that I could do for myself as I felt like it. I was not to lift anything over 10 1bs or have sex during that time. I could drive after 2 weeks. She did say I would be tired for an indefinite period of time and to just listen to my body. Stop and rest with pain and fatigue. That was about it....the specifics, things like--bleeding for 6 weeks is normal, not to vacuum and bend, even WHY I should keep my ovary,(she had recommended though) I learned from this site, for which I am very thankful.

I will add that my doctor made it clear that I could not take care of my children, 8 & 5 during that 6 weeks period. My husband and Mom were already planning on taking care of them anyway.
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM

I love this site also..so many questions i had also after my post op. It was good to hear other going through the same issues of what was normal and what wasnt. Otherwise i would of been calling for everything...At the time of my discharge this is what i got . No driving for 2 wks. No sex for 6 wks. Light house keeping. Rest when needed. If u have any concerns be sure to call ur doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Very little. This site saves me. I wish the nurse had told me how to get out of bed. When I had to pee in the hospital I struggled horribly to do so. I finally figured out the roll out myself at home. It seems insane she watched me struggle like that and said nothing.
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM

I was told no sex or vacuuming or swimming for eight weeks. Couldn't drive for two. Given Dulcolax for the constipation, and when I went in last week w/ a bladder infection, my GYNO told me that he doesn't really say much post-op because every woman is different and we wait and see what happens afterwards~surgery is "the easy part".
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM

I came home with all kinds of information.
At my hospital preop appt I got sheets of instructions on prep and what not to do for 24 hrs following anesthesia. When I woke up from surgery, my Dr told me no driving for 2 weeks, and nothing in the vagina until post-op appt at 4 weeks. Experience must have taught her to keep it short, simple, and direct when speaking to groggy patients! When I was discharged, I got a discharge sheet which says:
Diet: regular diet: plenty of fluids: avoid spicy: greasy: gas forming foods
Activity: let body guide your activity: no lifting over 10 lbs. Limit stairs: pelvic rest: may be up to fix meals: restroom: shower.
Treatments: follow up in 4 weeks
Wound Care: no ointments: keep dry and clean: no ocean: lakes: baths. shower only: pat dry
Plus several situations in which to call the dr.
It also says, under Resume Sexual Activity, "resume after f/u" (meaning follow-up, kind of a Freudian slip though!)
They also gave me a sheet of instructions expanding on diet, activity and lifting, bathing, checking incisions, vaginal bleeding, keeping stuff out of the vagina, and not driving. Behind this are several pages on symptoms of things like heart problems, stroke, deep vein thrombosis, etc., plus a list of my medicines to keep taking, and a sheet reminding me how to take the Motrin 800 (plenty of fluids, with foods, etc.)
A good bit of this info I had already read about on this site, or knew from past experience, but I'm the type who reads the instructions first before using a new appliance or phone or whatnot, and keeps the booklet too!
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:22 PM

My doctor's office had an awesome form that outlined what I could and couldn't do. It listed specifically when I should call my dr., and when I should go to the ER. They printed it out the day we scheduled my surgery, and went over it with me then, and then again before I went home went over the same instructions with my husband and mother to be sure that someone who was alert knew the important stuff.

This site still gave me other information, and helped me to ask more questions then I may have without it. And it is still a source of great comfort.
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM

On my 5th day, post op. I was given 2 weeks off work. Instructions paper provided:
throat may be sore;
INCISION- band aid remove 24 hrs later and tape strip leave for 7 days;
PAIN - Ibuprofen as directed and narcotic if something stronger needed;
DIET - first 24 hrs drink liquid if not hungry and regular food when ready to eat;
ACTIVITY - shower 24 hrs after surgery, no driving until off narcotics, do not stay in bed all day, move around the house, when ready do light housework;
vaginal DISCHARGE - some bleeding for a few weeks and no douche for 4 weeks;
No intercourse for at least 4 weeks;
BOWELS - normal not to have a BM after several days of surgery, if constipated drink prune juice or over-the-counter product such as colace.

Watch out for: fever above 100.4, pus coming from incision, heavy vaginal bleeding, unable to keep liquids down, redness or swelling getting worst around incisions

All of the above was great but this site by far beats all of the above. AWESOME site and support from site administrators and HysterSisters.
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Wow amazing some of the differences. Think I'd like to know if I should still have these 5 strips of tape on my stomach still? Lol My little see thru x's... I'm positive I would have called the Dr more times than I have if not for this site. I called twice so far for ibuprofin and antibiotic for uti.. I don't want to call about tape. Lol. They should have given me a paper on it. :-)~
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:50 PM

I decided that I will leave the tapes alone until they are peeling off. I am taking the 7 days as minimal time.

After yesterday's shower, I did not replace the band aid on my navel because the gauze was pretty clean.

Try sending an e-mail to your doctor. In my case, my doctor's e-mails are reviewed by a nurse practitioner and when needed forward to the doctor. If you have that capability of sending e-mail... feel free to send them for these types of questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register