9 days post hysterectomy: Worried I overdid it. First day "out of house" - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

9 days post hysterectomy: Worried I overdid it. First day "out of house" 9 days post hysterectomy: Worried I overdid it. First day "out of house"

Unread 01-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Re: 9 days post hysterectomy: Worried I overdid it. First day "out of house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knd10 View Post
That's great I'm going to get "dressed" dressed and go walk the halls of my building. Just out to the laundry room. I know we can "do steps" but I live in the basement of an old school, so it's two "commercial" flights of stairs, not like a normal house. I'd like to check my mail (which is at the top of those steps) but I have to work up to that! Maybe I'll go up two steps, and down, then next day, 3, so on and so forth till I work up to the whole staircase.

That sounds like a plan! I found it helped to have goals. When I was discharged from the hospital, I was told to have my staples removed two weeks after surgery and given an appointment to see my gyn onc at four weeks. So my first goal was that I knew that at two weeks, I'd need to be able to walk a mile on flat ground to get to a local clinic.

After the clinic visit - which went off without trouble - I started practicing walking up and down steep hills. I knew that at four weeks, I'd need to be able to walk two miles to the bus station, including a steep hill. I was able to reach that goal as well. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2016, 09:06 PM

Your body certainly will let you know when you over do it. I would say it was a bit much of an outing. Youre only on day 9. When the drs say 6weeks to 8 weeks, they mean it.. Rest is good to help your body heal. Doing little walks inside or outside, then rest & pace yourself. Youll prob notice getting swelling & aches or pains late in the day. A drive in the car with a pillow would be a good outing as a start. I find the abdominal binder helpful during the day. I over did it & had a week set back & i felt like I had jumped from week 3 back to week 1. IM on day 27 from TAH & I pace myself. If Im walking or lite chores or on computer for a bit in AM, then I rest while & see if Im up to do something for bit later. If not, then I rest. Only doing moving around the house throughout the day. I tend to swell up & pains end of day & the days Ive done too much I really feel it. Back on heating pad or gel cool packs. Feel better, it does get better!
Unread 02-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
Your body certainly will let you know when you over do it. I would say it was a bit much of an outing. Youre only on day 9. When the drs say 6weeks to 8 weeks, they mean it.. Rest is good to help your body heal. Doing little walks inside or outside, then rest & pace yourself. Youll prob notice getting swelling & aches or pains late in the day. A drive in the car with a pillow would be a good outing as a start. I find the abdominal binder helpful during the day. I over did it & had a week set back & i felt like I had jumped from week 3 back to week 1. IM on day 27 from TAH & I pace myself. If Im walking or lite chores or on computer for a bit in AM, then I rest while & see if Im up to do something for bit later. If not, then I rest. Only doing moving around the house throughout the day. I tend to swell up & pains end of day & the days Ive done too much I really feel it. Back on heating pad or gel cool packs. Feel better, it does get better!
Thanks.. I was mostly the passenger, and I had a pillow. I rested yesterday, today I'm going to shower and walk the halls of my apartment building today for a little while. I'm fighting MS fatigue too but I have to do a little, I do want to heal properly, and I know walking will help with that. My apartment halls aren't that long, it's probably closer to what a normal house would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knd10 View Post
Thanks.. I was mostly the passenger, and I had a pillow. I rested yesterday, today I'm going to shower and walk the halls of my apartment building today for a little while. I'm fighting MS fatigue too but I have to do a little, I do want to heal properly, and I know walking will help with that. My apartment halls aren't that long, it's probably closer to what a normal house would be.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of the recuperation thing.. Just listen to your body. I had a great day the other day, I actually felt almost normal! I even felt good when I went to sleep that nite. Yesterday, I had some aches, tired & bloating last nite. It's just a balancing act.
Unread 02-03-2016, 05:34 PM

I had mine same day as you! I live 3 hours from the city so I stayed at my sisters for the first week. I felt great, going out for breakfast, short trip to Walmart, and eventually the 3 hour ride home. I was all good but recently I find that I am very sore in the evenings. Today I did nothing and still sore in the evening so I guess it's just part of the healing process. I've had my kids help me out at 10 & 12 years old, but it's hard not to do everything! And such boring days!! But... Gotta heal good!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register