How long did you take pain meds post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long did you take pain meds post-op? How long did you take pain meds post-op?

Unread 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM
How long did you take pain meds post-op?

Hi, me again. New question. I've been reading that some of you don't need a lot of pain meds post-op, and some do. My question is how many days/weeks did you find you had to take them. I am on Day 6 and still needing the Percocets. I was also one that didn't respond well to meds right after surgery, so I'm not surprised that OTC pain meds don't do it for me, but a bit worried that I'm still taking them. Would really like to hear if I am among the "norm" or not.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Re: How long did you take pain meds post-op?

As I recall I was prescribed approximately one week of narcotic pain pills after I returned home but I only took them for five days because I felt I needed to be clear-headed due to other responsibilities I had at the time.

s,
Unread 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM

I took them for 4 days. Now I'm only taking Motrin if I do too much and feel those twinges that come along w/ over-exertion... My doctor told me that I could very well expect to take them for up to two weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2009, 08:47 PM

I am still taking darvocet and I am 7 days post surgery. I tried motrin yesterday, but didn't work to well. Granted, I only take it 2 times during the day. I had a TAH so this is new territory for me. Normally I have had laps done so not much pain meds were needed, and even after my hernia surgery (mesh was used) I didn't need pain meds for long. My guess is this HUGE horizonal incision across my belly is the reason...LOL! I am starting to feel better though...guess it just takes time...right?
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:03 PM

Thanks for sharing ladies. I had a LAVH/LSO, so wondering if taking the still on day 6 is normal? I've had bowel!lower back/hip and vaginal to naval area pain.
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:54 PM

hoping: I figure they give you a 15-30 day supply, right? We're all different with different pain levels as well as different tolerance levels; so I would say if you need it and you have it - then take it. Why suffer? You'll get to a point where you won't need them anymore! Don't worry about what everyone else is doing - just focus on making sure YOU are comfortable! 6 days seems really normal to me!!!
Unread 10-29-2009, 10:14 PM

I think that you nailed it InlineSk8er - we are all different. I stopped taking the darvocet on day 4. They gave me this awful rash over a large area of my torso. The itching was insane!!! But - all that itching certainly took my mind off of the pain - I quit taking them because the itching was more uncomfortable than the pain -which was pretty high at the time. Benadryl did not even help the itching. Yikes!
Unread 10-30-2009, 03:24 AM

Just to point out how much people vary in this, I never took any opiate pain meds post-op, at all. I'm allergic to them. I did Toradol(?) in the hospital and Extra Strength Tylenol at home. And I'm a big baby, but these and a whole lot of Gas Ex seemed to do the trick.
Unread 10-30-2009, 06:54 AM

I had Toradol in the hospital because I ended up in the ICU due to breathing tube issues (doctors were being cautious with me because it took them 1 1/2 hours to put the breathing tube and they were afraid to that my trachea would collapse, I am morbidly obese with a very short neck and a fat neck so that was the problem) but they gave it to me to relax me and so I could sleep during the night and be comfortable throughout the morning.

The only time I had to take pain pills was at night and I combined with an ambien because my hips so badly that that was the only way I could sleep for more than 1 hour at a time. I never took pain pills during the day. I only took the pain pill for about a week or so and have not touched them since.
Unread 10-30-2009, 07:36 AM

Torodol in hospital then switch to Motrin. I can't take narcotic pain meds due to pancreas duct problems. I opted for the DaVinci approach for this reason and really - pain was much less than I anticipated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register