Bowel Prep ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Bowel Prep ?

Ok, I bought the Fleet Prep Kit #1. Then I look at my paperwork and I am supposed to buy the enema too! Do I really have to?!!! The thought of doing an enema is just depressing. I didn't have to do all this for my colonoscopy.

So do you think the Prep Kit will be enough?...its the phospho soda, 4 tablets and a suppository.

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Bowel Prep ?

Hi Shelly, I've taken that yucky stuff for colonoscopys and to tell ya the truth I'd rather do the enema that drink any of that.
But if it were me I would call your dr office and ask if was necessary.

I don't know yet if I'll have to do a bowel prep, I'm hoping not..that drink stuff gags me big time. I have a very sensitive stomach and IBS, and can't keep it all down.

Good luck!
Unread 07-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Bowel Prep ?

if the dr wants you do it, i think you should. my neighbor had to do exactly what youre doing, my dr only had me drink one bottle of mag citrate. we all get such different directions but its always best to do it exactly as described. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Bowel Prep ?

Hi Shelly!

Sorry, but you do need to follow your doctor's orders. Your doctor expects you to arrive at the hospital having followed the bowel prep that was ordered for you. To do anything more or less than ordered could result in the need to postpone your surgery.

I wish you the best for your surgery and recovery!

s
Unread 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Bowel Prep ?

I would do whatever the dr wants. I had to drink a bunch of stuff (that was awful) and I threw most of it up, but I called the dr at midnight the night before the surgery just to ask him if it was ok because I couldn't keep most of it down!
Unread 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Bowel Prep ?

I had to do 3 oz of phosphosoda (in two doses) and take three or four tablets. No suppository or enema for me but I would definitely do what the doctor says to do!

When I was being discharged from the hospital after surgery, the doctor said this was necessary because sometimes they have to move the bowels out of the way during surgery. I say, if it's something that helps the surgeon, I'm all for it!

I know it's not fun but try to do is just as ordered!
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Bowel Prep ?

I appreciate the replies and I figured I should do as told!!! BUT, I am just dreading it. I am not supposed to do the enema until 9pm at night. I definitely will not get any sleep. Oh well, I guess I will have weeks to catch up on my sleep!!!
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Bowel Prep ?

I could be wrong about this, but I think the enema might be the easiest part of your prep. The Fleet's enemas are usually very small volume and are mostly just to clean up anything left behind by the first part of the prep. Maybe you'll get an okay night of sleep after all! Hugs and best wishes!
Unread 07-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Bowel Prep ?

I agree about the fleet enema probably being the easiest part of it.

Good luck!
Unread 07-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Bowel Prep ?

I was lucky and didn't have to do bowel prep for my LAVH, but I did have to use 2 Fleet enemas prior to a sigmoidoscopy 10 years ago. I don't remember it being a big deal. I had to use them the morning of the procedure, and just remember going to the bathroom 5 or 6 times. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register