TAH I worry too much: Wound care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I worry too much: Wound care I worry too much: Wound care

Unread 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I worry too much: Wound care

Sisters, I've had my TAH 6 weeks past. The doc said everything 's fine inside, but I'm a bit worried about the wound itself. I go weekly to the doctor, I take supplements and I dab it daily with Betadine. (Is this OK?)
First thing: I have a really bad history with skin inflammation and I hate to admit it, but I have a belly. Imagine having a ball of dough strapped to your tummy. My incision is on the lower edge of the "ball" so it's kinda covered. How can I keep it dry and nice without expecting it to be moistened because of it being covered?
Second thing is that it's red on the edges and some redness extends outside the wound. It also itches.. BADLY! Should I be worried about it being infected even after 6 weeks? (I'm visiting the doc tomorrow for checkup anyway)
Third thing that I'm a heavy smoker. I smoke around a pack daily. I know it's a really bad thing to do, but does it badly affect the wound healing?
Sorry for the long story but I want to know if I'm just worrying too much or if there was something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Re: I worry too much: Wound care

Hi macy65, it sounds like you have a belly like mine. I had a TAH seven weeks ago and I also have a bit that hangs over. I wash mine in the shower very lightly, get out pat dry with clean towel. You might find that Betadine is a little strong and dries out the incision. Quite honestly I don't think you really need much of anything although my doctor did mention you can clean with cotton ball and peroxide if needed. Mine did itch for a while drove me nuts so I used a triple antibiotic gel and it was very soothing. I have been taking zinc for healing along with vitamin c and I swear it has really helped. Good Luck with your recovery and try not to worry you have been through the worst and now your on the down side of things
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Thank you very much Janet54. <3
I don't know but I think that hearing (reading here) from someone who had that surgery like me is good and more comforting. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Ladies, My Dr. recommended washing with gentle soap and water, patting dry with a towel and blow drying with cool air on the healing area. He also said antibiotic ointment can't hurt. I hope some of this helps.
Unread 10-12-2011, 06:30 PM

I used alcohol and then wore cotton panties. The incision was covered but could breathe
Unread 10-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks a lot, ladies. I did go to the doctor yesterday. He said I'm fine and he told me I can move around more freely, just without pushing myself too much. I went to the hypermarket with my son and did quite a walking since 6 weeks of being a couch potato.
Doc recommended applying a disgusting and smelly cream (a brand called Mebo) on the wound once a day and it is really good despite it smelling like spoiled onions and rancid food!
I'm going to follow your tips as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register