3 days post hysterectomy/BSO: Not prepared emotionally | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post hysterectomy/BSO: Not prepared emotionally 3 days post hysterectomy/BSO: Not prepared emotionally

Unread 02-28-2015, 08:12 PM
3 days post hysterectomy/BSO: Not prepared emotionally

I am 3 days post op TAH/BSO. I spent a lot of time on this site preparing for this surgery. Received great advice. I prepared meals and froze them, put together a variety of things to keep me busy during my 6 weeks recovery, my bedroom is set up to be comfortable and soothing, even got an amazing pregnancy pillow that has been a life saver, and the husband has been the best care giver I could have asked for.
What I wasn't prepared for was the frustrations I am going through. I sleep, I take pain meds, I eat, I sleep etc. I have the best bed ever (memory foam) but I can only lay or sleep in 2 positions, can't sit up right, can't lay on y left side. I can lay on my right side hugging my prego pillow or I can lay on my back either flat, slightly raised with or without my knees being proped up by a pillow. I am feeling so frustrated that I can't do more. I hate the TV already, Facebook is too slow for me, Pinterest just makes me want to do things I can't do right now, because of the pain meds I can maybe read 1-2 page of a book before I pass out. Tried spending time in the living room tonight but our couch is too painful to get in and out of. So here I sit in my dark prision writing this and crying. I just don't know if recovery is supposed to be this slow or not. I'm I the only one going through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2015, 08:17 PM

I'm two weeks post op tah and I understand and feel the same way.
Unread 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Re: Not prepared emotionally

I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I am 10 days post op and am also very frustrated. Like you I get tired easily, however, I cannot sleep no matter what. I no longer need the pain meds, except for tonight for some reason. I do know this, we are all in this together, it can't last forever, and we will get through it! Rest when you need to, we only have one chance to heal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2015, 08:26 PM

You need to try and find all the patience you can muster up. It is a slow process. The first few weeks are the hardest depending on your type of surgery. Take it slow so yo recover right the first time and don't have any set backs or complications . Enjoy relaxing and being waited on. Slowly build up to doing things on your own and start walking a little more everyday. Pamper yourself !
Unread 02-28-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katcom14 View Post
I am 3 days post op TAH/BSO. I spent a lot of time on this site preparing for this surgery. Received great advice. I prepared meals and froze them, put together a variety of things to keep me busy during my 6 weeks recovery, my bedroom is set up to be comfortable and soothing, even got an amazing pregnancy pillow that has been a life saver, and the husband has been the best care giver I could have asked for.
What I wasn't prepared for was the frustrations I am going through. I sleep, I take pain meds, I eat, I sleep etc. I have the best bed ever (memory foam) but I can only lay or sleep in 2 positions, can't sit up right, can't lay on y left side. I can lay on my right side hugging my prego pillow or I can lay on my back either flat, slightly raised with or without my knees being proped up by a pillow. I am feeling so frustrated that I can't do more. I hate the TV already, Facebook is too slow for me, Pinterest just makes me want to do things I can't do right now, because of the pain meds I can maybe read 1-2 page of a book before I pass out. Tried spending time in the living room tonight but our couch is too painful to get in and out of. So here I sit in my dark prision writing this and crying. I just don't know if recovery is supposed to be this slow or not. I'm I the only one going through this?
((katcom14))

I'm sorry you are feeling so frustrated and sad. You are very early in your recovery and recovery takes time. Remember you did have MAJOR SURGERY only 3 days ago. I know you want to be up and moving around like before surgery, but you do need to rest so you can heal. Things will get better with time. Try to be patient, but I know that can be difficult.

Have you tried putting some pillows behind your back in bed so you can sit in a reclined position rather than trying to sit straight up? Is there a recliner you could sit in in your living room? Could your husband or other family members spend some time with you in your bedroom so you aren't alone?

I hope you can find ways to make yourself more comfortable and you begin noticing things getting better each day.

Take care
Unread 02-28-2015, 09:48 PM

I understand how you are feeling!! I was so uncomfortable sleeping for the first 7 weeks because I could not sleep on my side. I spent many nights in tears, and days, too. I was unable to nap as well. As I progressed physically and reached the point to where I can sleep comfortably it has helped me feel better, but I have to say that 4 months plus after surgery I am still not myself. I am still hoping to join the "best thing I ever did" club soon!! The emotional part of this recovery took me by surprise.
I hope it helps to know that others have been in the same place. Be patient as the recovery takes a while. I thought I would never get to a good place, and even though it is not where I hoped to be at this time, I am so much better!
Unread 02-28-2015, 09:53 PM

Howdy,

I totally know how you feel. It's crazy! I am 22 days post-op and I can do much more than day 3 but it is still a slow process. Do you have a semi-comfy computer chair with arms you can move to the family room? I ended up doing this because the couch was a death trap. I kind of slouch in it and use pillows so I am not upright. Or, this is completely outrageous, but I read about it and a few other sisters have done it, but is it possible to rent a recliner where you live? I seriously considered it, then decided not to, but now I wish I had. It was a bit pricey for me, but Ooooh how wonderful it would have been. Just throwing out some odd ball suggestions to pass our time. Chin up, it does get easier, just slowly. I wish I could sleep. Take care!!
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:03 PM

I was the same. I was bored yet nothing held my interest. I typically read 3 books a week yet I barely made it through one the first two weeks. I finally started watching old sitcoms on Netflick. Had to go with old stuff as I just couldn't/wouldn't concentrate on new shows.

Big helps were walks outside which could be difficult now depending on where you are located! I also enjoyed watching my husband "run the house". He did well!

The first two to three weeks are the worst. I was so antsy that I was marking the days off - something I had NEVER done!
Unread 03-01-2015, 01:23 AM

Thank you all for your support. Although it seems like I still have a very long road ahead at least I know this is normal. I will try the computer chair for sure, never thought about that. As for the recliner we don't have one, but we may have to do our taxes asap so we can get one. I do have friends and family coming to visit, but my doctor suggested to keep visitors to a minimum for the first week. Since we don't have kids and my husband was able to take the time off work that is what we have done. But she didn't say I couldn't Skype
I am so grateful for this site and all of my hystersisters. Thank you all and anymore suggestions are always welcome for me and those who may read this down the road.
Unread 03-01-2015, 04:41 AM

Do you have an abdominal binder katcom14? I started using one at night and found the support it gave allowed me to sleep on my side.

At 3 days post TAH/BSO I was still in hospital, this surgery is a 5-7 day stay in Australia. In my mother's day it was a two week stay. Just because we get discharged from hospital doesn't mean we are fine to resume our normal activities. That said I was able to walk up the road to the general store at 1 week because it was flat road and not far. You won't be totally helpless soon, so as long as you abide by your doctors restrictions, you will be able to do something each day. Listen to your body and rest after any activity. Your first week will likely a complete write off, but after that you probably don't need to be a total invalid if you don't want to be. Just choose your activities wisely and take it slowly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register