Having a tummy tuck with Hyster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having a tummy tuck with Hyster Having a tummy tuck with Hyster

Unread 03-05-2003, 06:13 AM
Having a tummy tuck with Hyster

Hello :O) I am new here and so far have learned much from these boards. I am 32 years old and will be having my hyster on April 25. During my hyster which is being done because of Endo, I am also having alot of scar tissue removed due to my 2 c-sections, plus my bladder has mated with my c-section scar (silly thing) and we have to get that back in place. All of the scaring also pushed my uterus somewhat to the side. AS A TREAT TO MYSELF :O)~ I will be having a tummy tuck. I was surprised though that I will not be getting money off of the hospital time (costing me $798) and anesthesia (did not get a quote yet) and of course the Surgical fee of $3000, which I knew would not be covered. I tried talking to the hospital to reduce the rate a bit since I would already be out and open when the plastic surgeon does his thing, but she stated it is because it is extra hospital time. Anyone else gone through this? Also have to talk to my gyno about the cervix option - to keep it or not. Leaning towards keeping it since there is not a cancer rish here and if it gives me a problem I can always take it out at a later date. Good luck to all of you - have some more posts to read now :O)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2003, 06:18 AM

I didn't have a tummy tuck so I don't have any comments on that. I'm sure someone will be along though.

But about the cervix: This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, and then the cervix has to go.

Of course your DR's recommendation should carry the most weight, but this is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

My experience with sex is it is the same without the cervix as it was with it.

Best wishes!
Unread 03-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks

Thank you Mary Lou for sharing your feelings. Looks like I have a bit more to think about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2003, 09:30 AM
tummy tuck

Hi I had a TAH and tummy tuck (full tummy tuck) 02/24. It was the best thing I have every done for myself!! Here is how it went:
My OBGYN performed my TAH first, he cut me up and down because my plastic surgeon said when he stiches my muscles back together it is easier! Then my plasitic surgeon took over and gave me a full tummy tuck (I am 40 and went for broke, figured if I am gonna do it do it big!). He actually took alot longer than we first thought I was in surgery for 61/2 hours and only 1 1/2 was my TAH. My TAH was covered 100 % but my tummy tuck cost $5500. for my surgeon, and a rough estimate for the O.R. and anesthesiolgist was $2000. could be more because he took longer in the O.R. (haven't got that bill yet). My room was covered under insurance because of the hyst. I am 10 days post op and feel great. You have to be willing to overlook the scar (which should look better come summer! ) I am by no means a slender or athletic person but the baby bulge I had really bothered me. I have had 2 painful years suffering from endo, and everyone said once you have a hyst. you get fat cuz your muscles are cut. Well mine are now sewed back together and for the first time in 2 years I am happy and FEEL GREAT! good luck and god bless, lmack
Unread 03-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Tummy tuck

I had a Tummy Tuck also and the same thing happened with me. The insurance would not cover the facility fee (O.R. time and Anesthesiologist) or the tuck. My total out of cost for the tuck was $5300. My DH arrgued the same point. I am open anyway so what's the dif but it fell on deaf ears. My plastic surgeon said a second procedure would be 1/2 off if I wanted so I opted for a upper a lower blepharoplasty (eye job). Another $3000. I figured I was going to be out of it the first 24 hours so it would not bother me to have ice packs on my eyes. My PS opened and then my Gyno did his thing and then the PS finished up with the tuck. Then did my eyes. Total OR was around 2 hours 45 min.

I am wearing my binder 24/7 for the next three weeks and then supportive undies for three months. I think it will be a very smart move in the end and worth every penny.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Unread 03-09-2003, 04:56 PM

Hi Kimmbearly,
I had a TT with my hyst in 6/2002. It was wonderful. I told my GYN and scheduled it with the PS and he and the GYN coordinated schedules. Since I already had my surgery date I ha to make sure the PS was available. Luckily he was! I booked the date even before I had the consult.

Yes, my surgery was not paid by ins. I had to pay the additional fees for the anesth., extra OR time, and the PS fees. Yikes! $5000. I too thought I'd get a bargain, but NO! I still am glad I did it.

Good luck. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Blessings,
TC

TexasChick@hystersisters.net
Unread 04-16-2003, 12:22 PM
tummy tuck w/ hyst done 4/2/03

Did both 4/2/03 and am thrilled w/ results! Paid $5000 for plastic surgeon fee here in chicago. It's so worth it. I'm 51 yrs. two kids, one c-section, 35lbs. overweight and had a sah/bso w/ tummy tuck. Lost 16lbs. in the last 13 days post-op. (Not much of an appetite until yesterday) Have been drinking lots of fluids. That helps, and need pain meds regularly-started on percoset-always need stronger drugs than most people. But I'm so happy I did this. Good luck. Let me know .
Unread 04-16-2003, 03:05 PM

Hi Suzi, glad you are as excited as most of us who do the the double whammy. After 10 1/2 months I'm still happy. Now I'm still working on my weight but I've lost since my surgery but have about 30 to go. We're gonna look fabulous aren't we.

TC
Unread 05-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Tummy Tuck w/AH

My surgery was 4 days after yours and I did the tuck along with the hyst. I would love to know how you are doing!! My scar is so huge. I've been told that it looks very good....but? My incision opened a little on each end when I was removing the steri-strips. I am also suffereing from the swelly belly especially at night. I wear the binder at night and very tight undies that go all the way up past my ribcage. I had the lipo too on my sides. Did you? I am so relieved to read that others are in the same boat. I hope you are feeling well! Penny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register