Concerns about Percocet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerns about Percocet Concerns about Percocet

Unread 11-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Concerns about Percocet

I just called my doctor to get a refill on my percocet. He agreed but the nurse told me to take them sparingly, they are addictive. I knew that but never really thought about it much.

I'm one week post op (TAH). I take 1/2 doses combined with the 800mg ibuprofen and that seems to do the trick. The ibuprofen alone does not cut it right now.

Should I be concerned about addiction? The nurse said just 1 week post op it's not an issue but when does it become an issue? What are the signs that I'm becoming addicted? And what happens if I do become addicted?

I've never been addicted to pain killers before, I don't believe I have a propensity towards that, but then I've never had a hysterectomy before.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Concerns about Percocet

I would think that you become addictive when you think "I must have a pain pill" and you are not really in any pain. I don't think that there is any "set" time because it depends on your personality. If you are still taking them months from now (which you probally can't do without your script anyway) then I would be concerned.

I am taking Percodan and I asked my doctor if I needed to stop taking them. He told me to take them as I needed them. Sometimes I can take the ibproferen and it's all I need, sometimes I need the pain pill.

I had a TAH and am 1 week past surgery also. I think that it's ok that we are still taking them. We had major surgery. Hopefully we won't be on them in the 3rd and 4th week.

Take care and remember that it's just MY opinion!
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Concerns about Percocet

Hi, I had open heart surgery 8 years ago, and also had percucet, during my stay at the hospital, after they sent me home I could only have iboprufen. Even at the hospital they gave the percucet only when I was really in extreme pain, they told me to really think if I needed it. So during the 9 days I was in the hospital I asked for it once a day at the most. A friend became addicted to it, he started feeling out of control and desperate when he could not have one pill. He cried for it. So after that experience I tried to use it as sparingly as possible. Now with the hysterectomy they didn´t give me percucete, they gave me something stronger than iboprufen only for one week. After that time was over I can only use otc pain killers. Take care and don´t over do it with the pain killers!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Concerns about Percocet

How long before your friend became addicted? Could that happen within 2 weeks?
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Concerns about Percocet

I think that if you are taking them only when you are in pain, you are not addicted. I found that after I got home, I only needed ibuprofen. Have you tried this or are you still in a lot of pain?

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory so it really helps.

Take Care,
Christine
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Concerns about Percocet

I am taking the ibuprofen but I'm still in considerable pain unless I take the percocet. Sometimes I don't take it, it depends.

I have stairs that I have to navigate several times a day, perhaps that's why I'm experiencing more pain. Especially on my left side. Something's definitely going on with my left side. Why doesn't my right side hurt ??

Maybe I'm just being a big baby and I should learn to deal with the pain without medication. What's a little bit of pain ?? ha ha, I hate pain.

I was doing some research on percocet addiction. It's a major concern with extended use which is considered anything over 2-3 weeks. I've only been using it one week. I'm sure I don't have enough to extend my use beyond 2 weeks. Also, I'm reading that the risk of addiction is greatest among women. Not sure why that is, perhaps because women are prescribed percocet more often than men. Or perhaps women are more likely to medicate than men ??

Makes me nervous, and I think that's my first line of defense. At least I'm not oblivious.
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Concerns about Percocet

Being in pain can prevent you from healing because you're body's energy is concentrating on the pain, not healing itself. So take it when you need it and you should be fine.

Hope it gets better.
Christine
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Concerns about Percocet

Hi JoEllen,

I'm living on my percoset right now! I'm only a couple of days out but today I tried to cut down to 1 every 2hrs instead of 2 every 4 hrs and I didn't make it. I'll try again tomorrow but I wouldn't worru too much about it. Listen to your body.

good Luck!
Starbgirl
Unread 11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Concerns about Percocet

So good to have you here, starbgirl

It was probably about 4 days before I could cut my percocet down to half. Tomorrow I'm going to try just the ibuprofen and maybe a tylenol with codeine if I need extra help, and then save the percocet for evening.

Evenings is the worst for me, and those first few movements in the morning.

1 week post-op (TAH)

Unread 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Concerns about Percocet

My doctor told me you woud not get addicted if you're taking it when you're in pain. He also said you will not heal as quickly or as well if you are in pain.
Rose

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register