Swelling 6 months post hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelling 6 months post hysterectomy? Swelling 6 months post hysterectomy?

Unread 07-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Swelling 6 months post hysterectomy?

Hi ladies,
So I had my surgery Jan 14/16, they ran into some problems with my surgery! Fun fun. Anyways I am now 6 mths post op and have already had to go back into the surgeron and have 3 Cyst remove from my left ovaries! I didn't have this much weight around my mid area and now I find I am still swelling and I have MORE then before my surgery! I'm having a HUGH problems with it at this point.

I don't want my husband to see my stomach! This is very hard for me and I'm scared the swelling isn't going to go down for a while. Just wondering what some of you ladies are finding with the swelling and when it went down for some of you. My OB is saying it'll take about a year for it to be gone completely.. Also I just broke my ankle so my work out has come to a stop, which I might add I wasn't able to even start till April.

Having a super hard time.

Thanks ladies for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Re: Swelling 6 mths post op?

Hello there

I am so sorry to hear that you are having a challenging time.
Have you tried using ice at any point....? I know my thread sisters are still using it even now after they get home from work to help them out.
Does ibuprofen help at all?

Surgeries and health situations are hard enough without isolating yourself specially from your hubby. I know you might not want him to see you like this but talk to him about what is going on. They are supposed to be there through the good times right along with any tough or challenging.

Keep your chin up. One day/week at a time.
*hugs*

Unread 07-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Re: Swelling 6 mths post op?

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your reply, my husband is great and keeps telling me not to be silly he understands and everything is fine. It's me, I have a Hugh body image problem. I wish I knew before my surgery how bad and long this would be around for. I am thankful I don't have all the pain and everything now but this swelling is to much. Lol I guess I just have to wait it out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbeartam View Post
Hi ladies,
So I had my surgery Jan 14/16, they ran into some problems with my surgery! Fun fun. Anyways I am now 6 mths post op and have already had to go back into the surgeron and have 3 Cyst remove from my left ovaries! I didn't have this much weight around my mid area and now I find I am still swelling and I have MORE then before my surgery! I'm having a HUGH problems with it at this point.

I don't want my husband to see my stomach! This is very hard for me and I'm scared the swelling isn't going to go down for a while. Just wondering what some of you ladies are finding with the swelling and when it went down for some of you. My OB is saying it'll take about a year for it to be gone completely.. Also I just broke my ankle so my work out has come to a stop, which I might add I wasn't able to even start till April.

Having a super hard time.

Thanks ladies for your help!
Hello!

I had my TAH 1/4/16. My Dr informed me that my surgery would be challenging due to an enlarged uterus 1697 grams due to uterine fibroids..Post op, I had a swelly belly & I noticed it slowly had gone down in stages..I felt like I had a bit of swelling left low, above my incision...Well, Ive been on the go lately, so I havent been doing my usual good choice selection of foods, plus w it so hot lately, Ive been drinking diet soda. Ugh! That I know is causing my belly to swell big time!!!! The other thing that can initiate swelling is if the GI track is sluggish.

Reduced estrogen can contribute to menopause symptoms despite retaining ovaries too...Ive retained my ovaries, but I know theres a diminished function bc Ive experienced varoius symptoms that appear, go away, then somethingelse shows up, like: (insomnia, anxiety, fatigue, loss of concentration-brain fog, slow GI, muscle or bone aches, etc) Reduced estrogen can cause low bone density too- fractures...

Soy helps the body produce estrogen. Edemame, soy milk. Omega fatty acids like olive oil, salmon, sardines, avocado, glax seeds. Supplements: flax oil, fish oil or primrose oil. I take b12, b complex, magnesium, but theres many others. Do some research into natural healing for women, menopause symptoms. When I eat right, I dont experience symptoms..

I hope you feel better! If you have questions, just contact me.
Unread 07-27-2016, 04:52 AM

If the swelling is from a sluggish GI tract, be sure you're taking regular walks, which will help things move through more quickly; it will also help with weight management. Also try magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Also avoid hard to digest foods, which can cause your belly to bloat by stimulating excess gas production; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners - like the diet pop that LailaStar had mentioned. For an ice pack -for your belly, or for your ankle - a bag of frozen peas works quite well. Best wishes for your continued recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register