What stage will a doc admit you to hospital with infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What stage will a doc admit you to hospital with infection What stage will a doc admit you to hospital with infection

Unread 08-21-2013, 04:56 AM
What stage will a doc admit you to hospital with infection

Just wondering at what infection stage do you get admitted for intravenous antibiotics. I've got redness(an inch above abdominal incision) throbbing/dull aches and a super swollen tummy. No fever, incision looks good. I'm now on augment/duo. Is this going to be enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Re: What stage will a doc admit you to hospital with infection

I would contact your doctor back. I don't think it is about stage but severity that determines hospital admission. If you haven't seen improvement since you started augment/duo, then it is probably not going to help if you have not just started. This is definitely a "call a professional" situation.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice58 View Post
Just wondering at what infection stage do you get admitted for intravenous antibiotics. I've got redness(an inch above abdominal incision) throbbing/dull aches and a super swollen tummy. No fever, incision looks good. I'm now on augment/duo. Is this going to be enough?
Hey fireandice,

Are you now on the Agmentin/duo and no longer on the Amoxil, since your last post? I do hope things are improving for you.

As for your question princess, it's really not as black and white. The doctor is the one trained to make the call based on his examination of you both physically and perhaps blood tests as well to see if the antibiotics prescribed are the right ones. He knows if and when, oral antibiotics are not enough and you need extra help. So try not to worry yourself and anticipate what's going to happen dear lady.

Speak to your doctor and when you see him, he will examine you and take the best possible care of you and he will let you know if the treatment is working as expected. You can talk to him then and ask him about anything that is concerning you and perhaps 'what to look out for' or "How do I know if it's getting worse?"

Try not to worry yourself princess. Stressing will make things worse. Take your antibiotics as prescribed, drink plenty of water and rest as much as you can. Your body needs rest to be able to fight it off. Also be careful of your tummy. The Augmentin/duo used to play havoc with my tummy (felt very sore) and my reflux, so I can't take that anymore.

I hope you start to feel better fireandice and I hope you get some good news very soon. If your symptoms continue to get worse and you feel more unwell then please ring your doctor again. Keep us posted and sending you hugs galore, xoxo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:05 AM

I had an infection for about 45 minutes before they admitted me. I started bleeding uncontrollably from my incision and that is why I went to the er... the infection came on fast. I was in iv antibiotics for 4 days. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Gyno said amoxil but as the day progressed and my tummy was swelling I decided to go to my GP for him to look. He said aug/duo was stronger. So I'm taking that instead. Seeing my gyno in person this morning just in case. I'll let you know what he says. Not sure why I got this 5 weeks out because its not superficial on the cut its deep in my pelvis(pain) with redness 1/2 mile away from anything... weird.... Nancy
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It's certainly enough to call your doctor and ask. In the absence of fever, I wouldn't be running for the ER just yet. But please check in with your doc.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:36 PM

Saw the gyno, he said that sometimes blood pools in various parts and this stagnant blood can attract bugs. I remember a vague bruise that disappeared shortly after surgery and this is the area I now have an infection. It took that long to show up. He said I should be better in a couple of days but to take the full course... Thanks all. Just goes to show you're not out if the woods till you're out of the woods
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM

If you see red streaks at all, anywhere go to ER ASAP.
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Saw the gyno, he said that sometimes blood pools in various parts and this stagnant blood can attract bugs. I remember a vague bruise that disappeared shortly after surgery and this is the area I now have an infection. It took that long to show up. He said I should be better in a couple of days but to take the full course... Thanks all. Just goes to show you're not out if the woods till you're out of the woods
So glad to hear that you are being looked after beautiful girl and that the doctor expects you to see an improvement within a short time! What a relief!

Keep up with your antibiotics, follow his instructions and keep monitoring yourself princess...and if anything changes unexpectedly, let the doctor know.

God bless and take care Nancy, and keep us up to date!....and no getting lost in the woods...you go straight home young lady!!!!!

Hugs galore, xoxo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register