TAH Lovenox | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
TAH Lovenox

Hey all. Wondering if anyone else has had to take Lovenox injections post op TAH. My hyst was extensive, with lymph nodes and extra area taken due to cancer. Didn't have excessive bleeding or complications.

Dr. ordered daily Lovenox injections for 28 days following surgery. After doing my own research, it seemed to be quite a long time, and the shots are very expensive. Asked dr. if it was really necessary to take them that long, he said he wouldn't have a problem with me cutting it short a few days. Also said a couple of years ago they didn't even use the Lovenox.

So I'm 11 days post op. We bought a few, now out and trying to decide if I should continue and how long. Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Re: TAH Lovenox

I don't know the specifics of why your Dr wants it, but sometimes they prescribe heparin shots rather than Lovenox, and I believe they are much cheaper. You might condider pricing them, and if it's significant, ask if switching would be an option? It might be a middle ground. A pharmacist could give you price comparisons. I don't know your clotting risks but maybe your Dr can clarify his thinking on why you need the shots, for a month. There might be risks specific to your situation. And what about TED hose? Might they be acceptable instead? I don't know, but it's worth asking about.
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Coumadin works in the same manner after taking,it for 5-6 days and it is an oral med. I take it regularly and only had to take Lovanox for 6 days. My insurance limits the Lovanox bc of cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks both of you for your responses. I feel like I'm in a conundrum. Have done research on the Lovenox, which seems to carry a hefty amount of side effects and risks in and of itself. I think the 28 days reasoning was that the newest studies indicate this is the safest route for completely preventing a blood clot.

But I am confused, given the choice to stop early. Husband thinks based on the research I've done, (the Lovenox guidelines on their own website being 7-10 days for abd. surgery, among other things), I should just quit now, but leaves it to be my choice. I'm nervous to make that decision.
Unread 01-09-2012, 01:23 PM

I had a clot in my leg and several in my lung. I was lucky to have survived it. If you have reason to believe there could be clots, don't mess with it, but if you are moving around and don't have issues, you might be able to stop. I have something called Leiden's that makes me a risk, so I am on lifetime meds. Good luck!
Unread 01-09-2012, 03:18 PM

I have Factor V Leiden, a blood clotting disorder. I take Coumadin daily because I almost died from blood clots in my lung. Before my hysterectomy I had to start Lovenox injections and continue for a week after until it was safe to resume Coumadin. It is expensive, but worth it. Blood clots are dangerous. Hope everything works out for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register