TAH scheduled for May 19th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH scheduled for May 19th TAH scheduled for May 19th

Unread 05-11-2010, 07:44 PM
TAH scheduled for May 19th

Hi everybody and thank you for being a support to me. I have a TAH scheduled for next week and I went in for my pre-op appointment today. I was expecting my doctor to discuss the surgery in detail and give me some detailed information. I left feeling more confused than ever. My last appointment when he recommended a hysterectomy for my large fibroids, enlarged uterus and continuous bleeding, he said that he needed to take my ovaries because of the fact that I never gave birth and that I was at a high risk of cancer. He also tried to do a biopsy, but because of the fact it was really painful for me, he said he would wait until the day of my surgery when I was under anesethesia. Well, today, it was a totally different story. Now he says I am keeping my ovaries. I guess that is good, just want him to give me the pros and cons of keeping them or not. He also said that a biopsy is not necessary because it would not change anything. I am so confused, why did he make me go thru that last time if I really did not need one? He also never went over any restrictions at all with me. In fact, I had medical paperwork from my employer for him to fill out for my medical leave. He is telling me that I can return to work as early as two weeks post op. I am a flight attendant and the paperwork specifically stated that I need to be able to push a 200 lb cart, do lifting and bending, etc. I mean if I am ready to go back that early that is great, it just doesn't seem logical with what I am reading here. He also never said anything about a bowel prep or anything that I am seeing so many of you going through. Not that I am complaining, but I just do not understand why it is different from case to case. Sorry for the long post, I just left feeling the office feeling uneasy about this whole thing. Thanks again to all of you for your encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Re: TAH scheduled for May 19th

Hmmm...after reading your post, I am just as confused as you. For TAH surgeries, you will need 6 to 8 weeks recovery most definitely and not 2 weeks like your doctor mentioned.

If you are not confident with your doctor, I'd suggest getting a second opinion from another doctor. Your doctor should be able to answer any questions you may have in order for you to make an informed decision.
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM

You need to call for clarification! That's a very different plan from the first time he saw you. Maybe he forgot you were a high risk for cancer...if that is even true. Did you remind him of what he had told you the first time? You could maybe call his nurse and explain your concerns and his contradictions. You just want everything done right the first time. I even went over all the details of everything my dr was to do before they rolled me into the OR. I had about 5 different things she was to do ..I wanted to make sure she didn't forget something! AND...definitely don't go back to work after 2 weeks with a TAH...no way! If you can take the full 6 weeks you will be glad you did it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:43 PM

I am a clothing store manager, which means on my feet all day like you....carrying, pushing, pulling. I had my TAH 3 weeks ago and cannot imagine being back to work. I know everyone is different, but my dr won't guarantee to release me at 6 wks to work.
If you want to get FMLA or some leave from work covered you need to get this figured out.
Write down your questions for the dr/nurse too because I always forget something when the time comes.
Unread 05-11-2010, 11:55 PM

Would recommend you double - check when you are able to go back to work. Most surgeons DO NOT allow flying prior or after the surgeries, due to the higher risk of clotting.
Unread 05-12-2010, 02:24 AM

Hi Uangel2,

I can understand why you are confused. I agree with hope 2010 it might be worth seeing another doctor for a second opinion, or at least going back to your doctor to ask more questions. I had a TAH in November 2009 for fibroids and heavy bleeding. The first doctor I saw didn't explain any of the pros and cons, so I went for a second opinion. The second doctor spent 1.5 hours explaining my options, then I went away and thought about it and came back for a second meeting with a list of further questions. You do need to feel confident that you are getting the best care from your doctor.

I kept my ovaries even though I had never given birth (this wasn't mentioned as a reason to have them removed) and I don't know my family history for cancer as I'm adopted. My doctor said he would look at my ovaries during the op and leave them if they looked ok. They used to remove them in the UK if you were over 45, but have since decided that they continue to produce hormones after the menopause so it's best to leave them in. Mine have since stopped working anyway so I'm on ERT waiting to see if they 'wake up' again.

I didn't do any bowel prep before my op, I think that's dependent on the views of your doctor. I did ask about it (afer reading posts on this site), but they didn't feel it was needed.

I think going back to work 2 weeks after a TAH is ridiculous, whatever job you do. It will be more like 2 months for your job! I was told I would be able to walk my dog after 6 weeks and I tried and set my recovery back another 2 weeks. In the UK nurses have a 3 month recovery time from a hyst as they have to lift patients, etc. I only just started to feel back to 'normal' at 5 months post op. I know it's different for eveyone as we all heal at different rates, but they need to give you a realistic timescale for recovery to do your job. I wouldn't have felt comfortable to lift anything heavy or bend down even at 6 weeks post op.

Good luck and I hope you manage to get more information out of your doctor!
Unread 05-12-2010, 05:41 AM

Hi

I just had a total hysterectomy 9 wks ago and was told by several different sources and doctors that i shouldnt lift any more than a 'cup of teas' weight for the 6 wks recovery time. It can be VERY dangerous to ignore these instructions and I know that it is much more tiring than you think it will be. You will probably need at least 6-8 weeks off work with a lot of rest.

Also its really important to consider the emotional implications that can occur after surgery. Ive only just begun feeling the loss of not ever having children and sorting out how i really feel about this. Its important to deal with these emotions and not push them to the back of your mind by going back to work too soon.

If the information is conflicting, try going to another person for a second opinion or going into the doctor with a set of questions and having him write them down for your later reference. Then double check with him again at the scheduling of the hysterectomy if you choose to go through with it.
If there is a high risk of cancer he may just want to be doubly sure of your health and figures without the uterus they don't perform a helpful function (obviously aside from hormone production).

Reschedule surgery if needed to ensure all the questions you have are answered, cause its too late to go back after surgery.
All the best,
Unread 05-12-2010, 06:10 AM

Yeah, I'm also puzzled by the information your doctor gave you... I had a TAH vertical incision for Endometrial Cancer. Everything was removed, even ovaries. That was 6 months ago.
I had cyst(s) or fibroid(s) show up on an ultrasound about 2 years prior, and an enlarged uterus. I didn't even know that until I saw a copy of the report before the next one, and wondered why the heck my previous doctor never suggested surgery.
Biopsies are uncomfortable for me too, as I've always been ultra-sensitive, so they said they would do a biopsy when I had the fibroids removed. That was the easiest surgery ever, and I went home an hour later. But the biopsy showed cancer, so that's why I had to be rescheduled for a hysterectomy.
I did have to do the bowel prep, but mixing it with juice wasn't too bad.
I didn't have any pain after the surgery (it's controlled), but you're extremely weak and need assistance to move or get up. I forced myself to walk as soon as the nurses suggested it, and kept it up whenever I could - it really helps! Also, I stuck with jello and liquids so that I didn't have bowel problems (wasn't hungry anyway) and I drank Milk of Magnesia.
I was in the hospital for 3 days. I needed help at home for 2 or 3 days, then started carefully getting up just long enough to get a snack or to brush my teeth, for example. However, you will be in bed or on the couch for up to a week. You must not lift anything or drive a vehicle; I tried to lift or shut the window and realized that could cause serious harm! Note: you MUST have someone to take care of you for at least 2 or 3 days!
I wouldn't recommend going back to work sooner than 4 weeks (longer if your job requires standing, or physical tasks), and even at that you have to be very careful for a few months. We had a bitter cold winter in Ohio, and I was told to wait 3 months before I could soak in a hot bath - that sucked!
I wish you an easy hospital stay and a rapid recovery! It's not fun, but it isn't painful or terrifying - you'll just be weak and possibly a bit miserable initially, but it gives you a break from your worries and time to reflect. I felt like a newer, better person - like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon... like I had a new lease on life! The experience made me appreciate good health and want to take better care of myself.
Unread 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Thank you so much everybody for all your words of wisdom. I am going to seek a second opinion just to make sure I am doing the right thing. I am so happy to have found this site and I wish all of you the best. You have been very helpful. Thanks again!
Unread 05-12-2010, 02:24 PM

I'm glad you are getting a second opinion. Your doctor does not seem to know what he is talking about. I wouldn't let him cut me open.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register