Question to sisters around my surgery date.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question to sisters around my surgery date.. Question to sisters around my surgery date..

Unread 07-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Question to sisters around my surgery date..

I had my first real outting yesterday. I went to my son's girlfriend's graduation party. All I did was sit in a chair in their backyard. I didn't think I exerted myself at all but apparently somehow I must have. We were there for about 3 hours...I put on jeans for the first time. REALLY didn't feel comfy in them and know I should have worn sweat pants. Today I am feeling REALLY lousy. I am very sore....my tummy is quite swollen and just aches alot inside and I'm completely exhausted to the point of feeling almost flu-like. I have had a headache since waking up this morning too. Does this sound normal? I know I wasn't very comfortable while there. The only other thing besides sitting was walking up and down a flight of stairs that didn't have a handrail to their deck a few times. Have any of you had anything like this happen? Please resond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2006, 02:36 PM

I would have not done well with that outing either. The stairs would have bothered me. I can finally put on my jeans, but I can't wear them because they hurt my belly. I'm still in sweat pants. Any pressure, even loose sweats and underwear around my belly still makes me sore inside and out. My incision is from right above navel down to pubic line. It's healing as it's supposed to, but is still very sore and tender. I get tired easily and between the sitting and the jeans pushing on my belly, I would have been in pain also.
On the other hand, if you think it's more like a flu feeling, or being sick, you should definitely check with doc. I hope you feel better very soon! Janet
Unread 07-02-2006, 03:05 PM

I had my surgery a couple weeks prior to yours...and I can tell you that's enough to wear one out!! I'm still in sweat pants and over-sized-elastic-waist shorts. I put on jeans for all of an hour one day and that was more than long enough for me! Add sitting striaght up in a hard chair...and walking up and down steps?? Yes, I'd expect to be sore the following day.

However, like SCBJJ said, if you are feeling flu-like you're better off calling your doctor. You don't want to blow off a potential problem as "soreness".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2006, 03:22 PM

I'm even earlier than the other people responding. I had my surgery almost 8 weeks ago, and I did my first full day last week. I worked in the morning, then I went to a small mall and wandered around for a while. I met with someone later in the afternoon for a chat. That's even less than what you did, with your sitting.

Well, the next day, I thought I'd been run over by a truck. It took me two days to recover.

So your situation sounds pretty normal to me. Check your temp. Make sure you aren't otherwise sick. But recognize that your body is telling you that you were doing too much too soon. (And forget about clothes than hug your body!)
Unread 07-02-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi,
Yes, when I have gone out a couple of times, not driving myself mind you as I don't feel up to that yet. But just carrying my handbag is a problem, so I don't carry that anymore. But I still wear track pants for the comfort, although I never had a lot of pain down there. But Saturday I went out and Sunday was sore and felt flat, besides fighting the cold/infection still I got from the hospital. Plus dealing with depression and constant headaches.....Im finding even if you feel well somedays and think you can do lots, a day or so later you feel lousy.....Take Care:-))
Unread 07-02-2006, 05:23 PM

I had my TVH on May 24 (so coming up on 6 weeks.) I did my first big outing-- 2.5 hours driving to and other 2.5 driving from. I knew the drive would be the biggest challenge. Spending time outside (no AC, warm day) I walked up and down the driveway a few times, but I really didn't feel like I "did" anything. This morning-- HAH! try practically this afternoon when I woke up. Of all things my "liver" hurts (or the general area thereof.) Headache. Woozies (dizziness.) I practically passed out from the shower like I was just a week out of the castle again. (I was--and maybe still am-- very anemic. I guess I set myself back some after yesterday.) Jeans? Stairs? Forget it. No, I don't find anything you said odd at all based on my own post-party experiences today. I AM EXHAUSTED! Thankfully I am taking the next couple of days off.
Gotta pamper that princess! Love, hugs, laughter and light! Barb
Unread 07-02-2006, 05:24 PM

Hi,

I think you did the famous "over-doing it." That, plus another symptom happen when I do too much, and believe me, I'm not doing a dang thing. I don't drive, I only go out for doctor appointments and today was the first day I felt well enough to take a very short walk.

Also...had to break down and wear maternity pants. I get so swollen some days, even after four weeks, that I look like I'm ready to have a baby any day. The maternity pants were all that fit - sweat pants wouldn't even do it. I try to have a sense of humor about it.

Go ahead and call your doc. It will make you feel better and give the doc-on-call, or your doc, a chance to document what happens when you do activity. It also gives them a chance to question you about things they might think are unusual for you.

It sounds like we're at the same place in healing. Hope you feel lots better soon. Oh, and try ice packs like gel packs or SwellyBelly Band to help your abdomen feel better. Dh laughs 'cause I'll get 3 or 4 packs going on my tummy at the same time on a bad day!

Julia
Unread 07-02-2006, 05:26 PM

I guess when they say 6-8 weeks we all better believe it. As the day is wearing on I am really feeling it. It's so hard to believe that doing next to nothing is still too much. Tomorrow will mark 4 weeks for me so I think I'm just expecting too much too soon. Warning to all of you who are having a "good" day though.....it's still way too early to try much. And I was actually hoping to be back to work by 4 weeks prior to my surgery!! Gees....Thank you for all of the responces. It's just nice to know that there are other women out there who truly understand. This is one realyl rough surgery! Good luck to you all and take me as a lesson. Take it VERY SLOW!
Unread 07-02-2006, 06:10 PM

wow, I got the okay to go to my friends party on Saturday as long as I sit in a chair the whole time and now I'm nervous - I'll only be 2 1/2 weeks post-op at that point.
Unread 07-02-2006, 06:22 PM

Actually I have to say I felt pretty good at 2 1/2 week, and now feel I have gone backwards some. But Just take it easy....Its all too easy when you feel good to want to kick up your heels and think your well enough to...Its a bit of a balancing act Im finding...IF it was not for these headaches that keep me in check...id be doing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnmarieDL
wow, I got the okay to go to my friends party on Saturday as long as I sit in a chair the whole time and now I'm nervous - I'll only be 2 1/2 weeks post-op at that point.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register