Overwhelmed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-03-2001, 12:01 AM
Overwhelmed

Hello. I am new here and this is my first post. I'm Corinne and after over a year of progressive problems with my periods (heavy, clotting, pain) and other things such as sweats now and the like, I am facing a hysterectomy. I'm 38 and have had 4 kids so it's not like I need it anymore! And truly I feel poor at least 1/2 of the time and I hate this. But this whole menopause thing that the gyne says is happening kind of freaks me out.

It has helped to read posts here. I wonder about sex and if it is different after. I wonder about hormones and all of that. I wonder what it will be like to go through the operation. Sometimes I think it's no big deal but other times, I feel down and scared.

I am happy to find this place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2001, 12:28 AM
Overwhelmed

Hi, and welcome to hystersisters!! It is truely a wonderful place to talk, vent, cry, and learn.
I am almost 7 weeks post and I had a TAH/BSO. I noticed a difference with sex. Not much though. Oral sex for me is still great, but sexual intercourse is not as good for me. I guess (how can I say it?) the sensation from the thrust is not the same. The friction I guess.
I felt horrible before my surgery. I believe my hormones were really out of whack before because I had 27 cyst on my ovaries. I often wonder if they were going out before they were taken out. I am 31 and I could have swore before I had my TAH that I was going through menopause.
As far as hormones go. I thought I was doing great untill the last couple weeks and now I am not so sure. These ladies here really know alot about HRT and can lead you in the right direction. You may want to check out the hormone jungle here on hystersisters. They deal with hrt there. There is a place for everyone here and We have all been scared and down at times, so we know where your coming from. So, post all you need and ask every question (no question is a dumb question) that you can think to ask.
Good luck and God bless you.
Unread 05-03-2001, 12:34 AM
Overwhelmed

Hi there and welcome! I'm pleased to be the first of many who will be answering you.

I had a TVH on April 9. I would wish my recuperation on all the ladies if I could. It has been a breeze. Each lady is different and her experiences are unique to her though. What happens to one won't to another. What works for one won't for another. Generally speaking, the wait is the worst. You will read that time and time again and it is very true. Believe it. You will probably read many times that sex either has not changed or has gotten better.

I am sure you will read both ups and downs about HRT (hormone replacement therapy). My personal experience has been fine. I am using the Rx Estrace (derived from yams). HRT is sort of like getting a hair cut, the same style isn't good for everybody. Sometimes you try out several different drugs and/or dosages until you find what your body likes. That is the key. What your body will accept could very likely not be what mine would accept. Once you are on HRT you shouldn't be bothered by menopausal symptoms. If you lose your ovaries, you'll probably be on estrogen alone.

Unless there are other health problems that make it prohibitive, your doctor may start you on HRT immediately...day of surgery or same week. You could possibly not have any symptoms or only mild ones. Again, listen to your body and what it tells you.

You've come to a great place to ask questions and share!
Hugs,
Miranda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2001, 08:20 AM
Overwhelmed

Welcome to the board Corinne!
You were wondering about the operation - check the pull down menus on the bottom of the front page. There are stories about the operations. I wrote my mom's story a few days ago, it's under "Ok, my MOM's story in detail" (name of thread) on the message boards here.
Hope this will help you a bit.
Don't take these stories too much too heart. Sometimes thinking and imagining things is harder than actually doing them. If knowing what will happen puts your mind as ease please read
Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register