Post TVH-home 1st day and something plopped out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post TVH-home 1st day and something plopped out Post TVH-home 1st day and something plopped out

Unread 09-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Post TVH-home 1st day and something plopped out

I have a call into the Doctor, but you guys are sometimes faster. I was sitting on the Potty trying to pee which is still hard for me. I then heard a Ploop, like the old times when a Clot would drop..?
Looked on toilet and sure enough light red long thin shaped tissue? Not toilet paper, has a globby look, like the insides of a baby diaper when wet. It smells horrid.
I put it instantly in to a zip lock bag . It is peachy in color with a brown tinge.
any ideas of what it could be or what I can do?
I have more pain than normal as well.

Thanks
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Re: Post TVH-home 1st day and something plopped out

Almost sounds like gauze, did they put packing inside of you? Good idea putting it in a ziploc. Hope you find out what it is soon, and it's not something dangerous!
Unread 09-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Called my doctor she said the packing gauze was removed before I was brought to my room. I must have been still sleep after the operation. But this thing is not a mesh-like gause pad or sponge. It is a thin strip of material that has some gel like absorbant material in/on it. Well Dr. Had no explanation either just that she is glad it is out. I am keeping it, just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2009, 11:37 AM

barbie36ct,

I don't understand how the doctor would not want to see what came out of you and/or do an exam to take a look to be sure there is nothing else still in there? I know I had a tvh too and the doctor took the packing out the following morning. I remember it being very long and gauze looking. I also remember feeling pressure there before it was removed and the nurse told me it was the packing.I would definitely hold onto it , but I might insist on a check over by a doctor. If there is more in there it could become infected. Good luck to you , and remember you are your biggest advocate, always go by your gut feeling if you feel something is not right. Take care and I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:30 PM

I agree it sounds like the vaginal packing. It is possible not all of it was removed. I can see how that could happen. Your post surgical and they do not want to disturb you or the surgical area any more than necessary.
I think it is a good idea you kept it. Maybe you should store it in the refrigerator or freezer just in case you need it in the future. I sure some one on this site would know which is better.
Otherwise how are you feeling. I would start to take your temperature regularly to make sure your not starting to run a fever. Are you on any medications that act as fever reducer? Many pain reliever are.
What kind of discharge are you having? Has it been the same or any changes? Keep an eye and nose on everything. Maybe even tell a family member to tell you if they ever catch a scent of anything.
I myself would be more comfortable have an internal exam to confirm there is no more foreign material. Everything is probably fine and your body is doing a good job healing. After all one of the most important things is to keep the healing area clean and you've just done a big clean up! If you start to have any other symptoms call your doctor back. I don't know how you can find out what the material is. Maybe other ladies will have suggestions.
Only other suggestion I have is obtain your hospital records. You can request a consent by phone to be mailed or faxed or you can make an appointment to review them in the hospital and copy only the pages you want. I would think you want the surgical, recovery and nurses notes. That way you can confirm the who, when and what regarding the vaginal packing.
Never a dull moment.
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:32 PM

I meant to add the information is important for the hospital and doctor to be aware of so they can correct any potential internal flaws to minimize future risks. I believe it is up to all of us to make things as safe as possible for everyone.
Unread 09-12-2009, 03:35 PM

thanks guys. i am keeping it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register