At 3 weeks post op TLH what can I be doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At 3 weeks post op TLH what can I be doing? At 3 weeks post op TLH what can I be doing?

Unread 07-17-2012, 05:41 PM
At 3 weeks post op TLH what can I be doing?

I'm not quite 3 weeks post-op yet, but when I get there, what kind of stuff can I be doing? I had help the first week and a half, but now it's all up to DH. He works outside in the heat as a laborer and I hate that when he gets home he still has to take care of me and the 2 kids. I mean they are old enough that they help but most of it is on him to do.

Neither of us wants me to do anything I shouldn't be doing, but only post-op restrictions I was given was no contact sports, sex, or lifting more than 20lbs for 6 weeks.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks in advance, Sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Re: At 3 weeks post op TLH what can I be doing?

jenjen, I'm at the same week of recovery that you are. My doctor told me the same restrictions as you have, but added a few extras, including limited use of steps, driving and bending. He told me to ease into these things, and only do what is comfortable, and not push it.
I'm feeling pretty good, so I need to remind myself to be careful. That seems to be my biggest problem. Your family sounds so helpful. Good for you! My DH was wonderful at the beginning, but now forgets that I'm still restricted from so many things.
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Have you visited the post op checkpoints? I'd link you but I'm on my phone. They have an awesome list in there of things most ladies can be doing during which time period. Things like folding laundry, loading the dishwasher, and wiping off the counters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Don't vacuum, don't lift. Try to avoid things that cause you to twist about, push or pull. Basically listen to your body. If it causes soreness or pain don't do it. I slowly tested out new things and did things in moderation. If you go slow, rest in between small things should be ok. ( Don't go gang busters at the grocery store or anything like that though).How old are your kids?
:cathugs:
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathb911 View Post
Don't vacuum, don't lift. Try to avoid things that cause you to twist about, push or pull. Basically listen to your body. If it causes soreness or pain don't do it. I slowly tested out new things and did things in moderation. If you go slow, rest in between small things should be ok. ( Don't go gang busters at the grocery store or anything like that though).How old are your kids?
My DD is 10 and DS is 7
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks everyone, all the information is very helpful!
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:45 AM

Don't bend - belly touching stomach is a no no and lifting leg up to put on a shoe or paint toe nails is a no no - can tear stitches with both moves according to my docs surgery scheduling nurse. Don't pull or push things like vacuuming or sliding furniture around. That includes a grocery cart. All these restrictions are for 6 weeks and vacuuming may be longer.

I have a 6.5 year old daughter and she is a big help to me. I'm 2 weeks tomorrow. I cook things like pancakes and scrambled eggs or I set the table and fix drinks for dinner. I even made a cake the other night but my husband got all the pots/pans out for me and washed everything when I was done. I've washed 2 loads of clothes but my washer/dryer are tall not frontloading just tall so I don't have to really bend. It was extremely tiring though and that surprised me. I don't lift the clothes basket with clean clothes yet. I swept once and decided that's not the best thing right now.

Hope this helps and I hope you are feeling good!
Unread 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen21502 View Post
My DD is 10 and DS is 7
Those are great ages for being little helpers. Things you can't do can be delegated and supervised!! Good luck on your healing journey!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register